[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4786: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3915)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4788: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3915)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4789: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3915)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4790: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3915)
Let's Do Lunch Community • View topic - "Fried" Apples

Let's Do Lunch Community

See your doctor for approval before starting any new eating program.
The Key to Let's Do Lunch is to "Add a Little Something Fattening" to something nonfattening, to make it Taste Great! Read the New Red Book to find out how this is done!

Author believes we are put on this earth to have a chance to love The Lord. Other than that, we are here to help God bless as many other people as possible.

It is currently

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: "Fried" Apples

Fried Apples

These taste like Cracker Barrel Fired apples, which tastes like apple pie! Perfect for cool Autumn mornings or evenings.

Ingredients
• 1 cup apple juice, plus
• 1/4 cup apple juice
• 8 large golden delicious apples, peeled, cut 1/2 inch wedges
• 1 tablespoon cornstarch
• 1 teaspoon cinnamon and dash nutmeg or 1 tsp. apple pie spice

Place apples and 1 cup juice in large saute pan and bring to boil. Reduce heat to simmer, cover and cook apples until tender, about 15 minutes. Blend remaining juice, spices and cornstarch. Push apples to one side of the pan and add juice mixture to pan juices and stir and boil one minute until thickened, then fold into apples. Eat hot, warm or cold. Store unused portion in fridge up to one week. Enjoy! (Cracker Barrel does not peel the apples. If you like them like that, then you'll just need to cook the apples longer to soften the peel).

Last edited by Carolina on , edited 1 time in total.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: "Fried" Apples

to tell you the truth, for a while now,i've been stewing apples and eating them hot with cinnamon on top....so, it's a very similar taste with no juice and no cornstarch which means i can eat AS MUCH as i want(something VERY important to me).....

Carolina, I like Cracker Barrel's fried apples, so now I can have them at home.  Served with lean pork loin or as a dessert, they are what I need.  We live close to a large apple orchard, so now I'll have to go get me a bushel.  I've been buying apples at the store for eating and for smoothies.  Thanks, Joyful Friend

Hi Niki,

I'm glad you mentioned cornstarch. I was a little surprised to see it in other recipes on the boards, but consequently I decided it was okay to post this recipe.

Can you let me know what is the official position on cornstarch for LDL?

Thank you, Carolyn

Last edited by marysimmons on , edited 1 time in total.

Last edited by niki on , edited 1 time in total.

Newsflash......

I made the "Fried Apples" and I absolutely loved them!  So did my husband!  I didn't measure anything and think I used less starch and juice, but anyhow, they were fabulous.  This is a great dessert!  I think we'll need to make it at the ranch!

P.S. Julie,  I'm doing around 15 minutes most evenings on my rebounder, and I can't believe I'm really doing it!  I've never done exercising for more than a couple of days before.  I'm so glad to hear it's helping you so much.  In order to see if it helps Harrison, I'd have to get his little asthmatic behind onto the rebounder for more than four bounces.  I thought he would love having a trampoline in the house, but he couldn't give a hoot about it.  Right now, he's too busy pretending he's a movie producer, and he spends his spare time making productions with his lego toys--or his latest theatrical venture he's doing an episode of every night, is with his school supplies.  He marches them along the floor and in the air while announcing "The further adventures of Eraser Man and Pencil Boy!!!"  Hmmm....I think Mommy is alone in her efforts to exercise on the rebounder......

Little Mary

Last edited by marysimmons on , edited 1 time in total.

:-) I just LOVE Harrison stories! 

Fried Apples at "The Ranch"...a must!

Oh, and Mary, I have three pizza pans full of butternut squash fries in the oven and if you make these 2-3 times/week I'm thinking you have been exercise.  Do you have a gadget to help with slicing?

Blessings Ya'll,
Julie

How do you make Bsquash fries?  What do they taste like?  I have 3 that my friend gave me.  I like them baked, with a little CBIB and Splenda.  Sooo good.  Joyful Friend

For the butternut squash fries, you just peel them and cut them into french fry shaped pieces, spray a baking sheet with olive oil, put the fries on the baking sheet, sprinkle with salt, and bake, turning once, until they're tender on the inside, a tad crispy on the outside.  Boy oh boy are they good.  Another thing you might want to try, Joyful Friend, is one of my absolute favorite soups off these boards.  It's the roasted garlic & butternut squash soup I posted.  You should try it sometime.  I had some for lunch today, in fact. 

Yum yum yum!

Little Mary

I am eating some fries right now. They are my favorite. I am also testing the apple chips to see if they come out ok.

BTW, I think the Squash fries are a negative calorie food; it takes so much effort to make them you must be expending more calories than you are eating :laughing:

Mary, Love hearing about the budding film director.  *love*It is so much fun seeing the world through their eyes. I miss that. I am so happy you are enjoying the rebounder. Are you noticing any changes?

Julie, Love the tag line - is that new?  I never noticed that before.

The apple chips didn't come out too great. I will probably try again at a lower temp and longer time.

J :rose:

Is the apple juice ok for eating many times each week, or is this only a "once in a while."  These were absolutely delicious!  I made 1/2 batch and used 1 t cornstarch and about a cup total.  Going to an Apple Festival this weekend to get more apples!

Thanks, Kathy

Last edited by niki on , edited 1 time in total.

thumbs up for this recipe...
soooo good!
I used white grape juice concentrate instead of apple juice.