"Fried" Apples

The perfect touch to start OR complete your LDL meal!
Carolina
New, but learning

"Fried" Apples

Post by Carolina »

Fried Apples

These taste like Cracker Barrel Fired apples, which tastes like apple pie! Perfect for cool Autumn mornings or evenings.

Ingredients
• 1 cup apple juice, plus
• 1/4 cup apple juice
• 8 large golden delicious apples, peeled, cut 1/2 inch wedges
• 1 tablespoon cornstarch
• 1 teaspoon cinnamon and dash nutmeg or 1 tsp. apple pie spice

Place apples and 1 cup juice in large saute pan and bring to boil. Reduce heat to simmer, cover and cook apples until tender, about 15 minutes. Blend remaining juice, spices and cornstarch. Push apples to one side of the pan and add juice mixture to pan juices and stir and boil one minute until thickened, then fold into apples. Eat hot, warm or cold. Store unused portion in fridge up to one week. Enjoy! (Cracker Barrel does not peel the apples. If you like them like that, then you'll just need to cook the apples longer to soften the peel).
Last edited by Carolina on October 6th, 2009, 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
heretotheend

Re: "Fried" Apples

Post by heretotheend »

I love Cracker Barrel apples!....may have to try these for breakfast tomorrow....

Cookie
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

to tell you the truth, for a while now,i've been stewing apples and eating them hot with cinnamon on top....so, it's a very similar taste with no juice and no cornstarch which means i can eat AS MUCH as i want(something VERY important to me).....
life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain..
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

Carolina, I like Cracker Barrel's fried apples, so now I can have them at home.  Served with lean pork loin or as a dessert, they are what I need.  We live close to a large apple orchard, so now I'll have to go get me a bushel.  I've been buying apples at the store for eating and for smoothies.  Thanks, Joyful Friend
Carolina
New, but learning

Post by Carolina »

Hi Niki,

I'm glad you mentioned cornstarch. I was a little surprised to see it in other recipes on the boards, but consequently I decided it was okay to post this recipe.

Can you let me know what is the official position on cornstarch for LDL?

Thank you, Carolyn
julie409
Master Member

Post by julie409 »

HI Mary,  *hug*  is the cornstarch used as a thickening agent?  Could we sub Garbanzo flour? Would that make it more acceptable. If not, I am going to try these in the oven with a little spray oil. Maybe I won't even need the apple juice. Maybe they will come out more like Apple chips. What do you think?  I need your help in finding some subs for watermelon if you can. Now I am wondering what else I can make chip like  :wrong:

Mary - how are you doing on the rebounder?  I mentioned in the topic that it is  helping my allergic reactions. DO you think this could also help your son?

OMG!  Carolina - I love you  *love* for leading me down this path. If I could have warm apples as a snack that would be groovy! (Sorry - feeling very seventies today!)

Julie :rose:
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

julie409 wrote:HI Mary,  *hug*  is the cornstarch used as a thickening agent?  Could we sub Garbanzo flour? Would that make it more acceptable. If not, I am going to try these in the oven with a little spray oil. Maybe I won't even need the apple juice. Maybe they will come out more like Apple chips. What do you think?  I need your help in finding some subs for watermelon if you can. Now I am wondering what else I can make chip like  :wrong:

hi julie...
that's exactly what it's used for...a thickening agent.....garbanzo flour?.........you know, i was the first one to use garbanzo flour when i started taking chick peas that had been roasted and grinding them in my food processor......i use it as a filler for meatballs and i coat chicken with it when i bake it in the oven.....i had seen roger caution about it's overuse, but i've decided that it depends on what you're doing with it....if you're mixing it with fat of any kind, i recommend CAUTION.....but, i noticed the last time i made israeli chickpea soup that if i took the chickpea flour and mixed it with water, i would get the equivalent of pureed bean soup....
so, my call on it would be that it would be totally fine to use to thicken soup....as far as thickening apples with it, i just don't know if it would taste good...try it and see if you like it....
WHICH reminds me that i made pasta with chickpea flour that was pretty good....i'm going to go look for the recipe i posted...
MY substitute for watermelon IS stewed apples.....i have a couple of dozen apples on my counter downstairs and i'm going to fill my 4 quart pot with them tomorrow...they're sweet enough for me without anything else when LOADED with cinnamon...and, i can eat a BIG bowl........i HATE portion control.....    
Last edited by niki on October 7th, 2009, 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain..
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

I was wondering about cornstarch.  Now, I know.  Thanks, Joyful Friend
julie409
Master Member

Post by julie409 »

Thanks Niki!  I will be careful. Now that you mention it - it probably won;t taste very good. I am going to try to make the apple chips instead.  Saturdays at my house has me looking like the nutty professor with all the gadgets, measuring cups and vegetables all over the place. OY!
J :rose:
LovinLDL

Post by LovinLDL »

:-) I just LOVE Harrison stories! 

Fried Apples at "The Ranch"...a must!

Oh, and Mary, I have three pizza pans full of butternut squash fries in the oven and if you make these 2-3 times/week I'm thinking you have been exercise.  Do you have a gadget to help with slicing?

Blessings Ya'll,
Julie
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

How do you make Bsquash fries?  What do they taste like?  I have 3 that my friend gave me.  I like them baked, with a little CBIB and Splenda.  Sooo good.  Joyful Friend
julie409
Master Member

Post by julie409 »

I am eating some fries right now. They are my favorite. I am also testing the apple chips to see if they come out ok.

BTW, I think the Squash fries are a negative calorie food; it takes so much effort to make them you must be expending more calories than you are eating :laughing:

Mary, Love hearing about the budding film director.  *love*It is so much fun seeing the world through their eyes. I miss that. I am so happy you are enjoying the rebounder. Are you noticing any changes?

Julie, Love the tag line - is that new?  I never noticed that before.

The apple chips didn't come out too great. I will probably try again at a lower temp and longer time.

J :rose:
abbys mom

Post by abbys mom »

Is the apple juice ok for eating many times each week, or is this only a "once in a while."  These were absolutely delicious!  I made 1/2 batch and used 1 t cornstarch and about a cup total.  Going to an Apple Festival this weekend to get more apples!

Thanks, Kathy
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

abbys mom wrote:Is the apple juice ok for eating many times each week, or is this only a "once in a while."  

the real question here is about wether it's acceptable to drink juice and eat cornstarch regularly...the answer is no....
i recommend eating the whole fruit for the best results and i don't recommend even dried fruit, NOT if you want max results....i even found down the line, after i lost all the weight i wanted to lose, that not eating popcorn gave me better results..

women lose harder than men........women that have less than 50 pounds to lose lose slower than women who have a lot to lose....
the only women who DON'T know wether they're good losers are really thin ones that have never dieted...everyone else KNOWS...

someone who loses slowly using other methods in the past, is NOT going to go on let's do lunch, drink juice,eat dried fruit, popcorn and melt away to nothing.......they have to KNOW that they have to do what i did which is REALLY totally fine and a great way to eat.............basic let's do lunch..........bq
Last edited by niki on October 9th, 2009, 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
abbys mom

Post by abbys mom »

Niki,

So when you make the apples, do you usually cook them in water and then season with lots of cinnamon?  Are they still tart at all?

With the weather getting colder, it is getting harder to have the cold fruit smoothies...so I thought it might be a nice replacement sometimes for me.

Thanks, Kathy (who is getting ready for some possible snow tonight in west central MN!)
Scrapper Pearl

Post by Scrapper Pearl »

thumbs up for this recipe...
soooo good!
I used white grape juice concentrate instead of apple juice.