Tea question

The place to go if you have a question that needs answered!
redkat

Tea question

Post by redkat »

I know that chocolate and nuts are not allowed on LDL.  I found a Chocolate hazelnut decaf tea and would like to try it.  Since it would not be actually eating the foods whole, just a brew flavored with these things, is this tea ok???
I am looking for a replacement for my coffee/cream.

Ingredients:  naturally decaffeinated black tea, natural chocolate, vanilla nut and hazelnut flavors.  ("Stash" brand)

No nutrition panel on box.

Kathy
Last edited by redkat on October 26th, 2009, 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kathy
electricj1316
Master Member

Re: Tea question

Post by electricj1316 »

Hey Kathy!! I would stay away from the tea. It is one of those things that can cause allot of people to have cravings. I know it sounds hard to come off of your coffee/creamer but you can do it at your own pace. You can try only drinking a half cup a day for a week and then cut it to a  1/4 cup a day for a week then maybe every other day for a week. My mom did it that way and it worked for her. You don't really want to replace one thing with another unless it is a healthy choice like maybe replace your coffee with a smoothie. You have to do what is best for you so these are just suggestions for you. If you have to have that cup of coffee every day and you just can't give it up just know that it will make your weight come off allot slower. This is just based on how fast you want to lose the weight. This plan is for life so if you don't feel like you can live without the coffee then have it but just have it in the least fattening way that you can, instead of creamer try a little ff skim milk.

Tina
Tina

Jason
Mattie
redkat

Post by redkat »

Thanks, Tina.  Just thought this might be at least a transitional hot beverage for me.  I have not yet been able to turn loose of the coffee/cream.  I love it so. (I use about 1-2 Tbs. HEAVY cream and usually have 2 cups/day).  Since I already purchased the tea, I might try it.  If I see a problem, I'll just toss it and chalk it up to wasted money.  At least in the tea, I wouldn't add any milk products, just a bit of Splenda. Once again, thanks for the info.

Kathy
Kathy
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

redkat wrote:I know that chocolate and nuts are not allowed on LDL.  I found a Chocolate hazelnut decaf tea and would like to try it.  Since it would not be actually eating the foods whole, just a brew flavored with these things, is this tea ok???
I am looking for a replacement for my coffee/cream.
Ingredients:  naturally decaffeinated black tea, natural chocolate, vanilla nut and hazelnut flavors.  ("Stash" brand)

i hate waste.....so, since you bought it, try it and see what happens......the thing is that whenever you see "flavors" and depending on how delicious something is, it usually has nasty stuff to give it that great flavor.....

don't use cream in your coffee.......i DEFINITELY can't use skim milk....i'd rather drink it black.........i stopped drinking coffee when i first went on let's do lunch 3 1/2 years ago......but, i lowered my thyroid medication and decided that if i DON'T have a problem with my adrenals(as i thought i might)i would return to my old love.....COFFEE...........i use a little 1% milk......i have a couple of mugs of coffee..........and, at this point, wouldn't give it up for ANYTHING(OK....a revelation from GOD.....but, THAT doesn't seem likely, SO i'm goin for it)....i LOVE my coffee in the morning.......   
life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain..
redkat

Post by redkat »

Thanks, Niki.  Happy to meet a fellow coffee lover.  So far, I've only been able to "drop down" to half and half in the coffee.  Milk just doesn't do it for me.  But I will continue to work on it, as I think that is slowing down my weight loss.  I stay true on the meals, have no snacks, eat lots of fruit/beans, lean proteins and veggies at lunch.  I may have an occasional diet soda, and sometimes popcorn with/as meal at night.  I've lost about 12 1/2 pounds so far in about 2 months and would like to see more gone.  With winter coming, I am wanting a hot beverage that I can enjoy a couple of times a day.  I don't really like hot tea, so I thought this Chocolate Hazelnut would be something I could tolerate and get away from the cream.  I felt that since it was only a tea and not actually eating the foods, it would be ok.

Kathy
Kathy
scarlett859

Post by scarlett859 »

I have some "holiday" tea that I just found in my desk at work. (Mom, I think you gave this to me.)
Here are the ingredients:
Peppermint, decaffenated green tea, orange peel, natural vanilla and mint flavors with other natural flavors, cinnamon, milk thistle, blackberry leaves, roasted carob, roasted chicory and vanilla bean.

The only one that I think may be a problem is the milk thistle. I looked it up and it says that they mostly use the seeds of the plant.

It's starting to get in the cold weather here and I thought this might be good to have since I can't have my peppermint hot chocolate anymore. I don't drink coffee so I don't have that addiction to get over.
[glow=grey,2,300]GEAUX TIGERS![/glow]
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wKZCQDt/]
tonz2day

Post by tonz2day »

Oh yum....peppermint hot chocolate!  Definitely can't go there.

Redcat, I think you are doing fantastic on your weight loss!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/weAJS0m/]
redkat

Post by redkat »

Thanks all for the input.  Little Mary,  I do like hot lemonade.  I usually have that when I have a cold, which fortunately is not often.  Not quite the morning drink that I want, better for afternoon/evenings.  I will continue to try the teas.  I just need something that doesn't taste quite like "tea"....

Tonya,  I think the "peppermint hot chocolate" that Scarlett was referring to was probably the one from Starbucks.  At least that's where it started.  (Right Scarlett??)

Kathy
Kathy
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

redkat wrote: I've lost about 12 1/2 pounds so far in about 2 months and would like to see more gone.

just so you know, i lost 10 pounds in the first 5 weeks on let's do lunch..then, i didn't lose anything for 2 months...that WASN'T a stall...............the beginning loss is mostly fluid...after that, it's mostly fat.......12 1/2 pounds is perfectly fine.......

i would try, if i were you, to gradually go down to regular milk, then 2%, then 1%...........i wouldn't ask ANYONE to go down to skim milk in their coffee...that is WAY too barbaric...... 
life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain..
scarlett859

Post by scarlett859 »

Yeah it was the Starbucks Peppermint White Hot Chocolate. I HATE coffee so in the winter when I would go with mom to Starbucks I would get the hot chocolate. Then I had found in the store (probably Sam's) there was a box of individual packets of peppermint hot chocolate. That's what I would drink at work after walking in on cold mornings and my office was colder than it was outside.
Bethann
Master Member

Post by Bethann »

I'm struggling with the coffee also. I've been able to keep it to one large Organic cup in the a.m. usually....and of course with skim milk and some Splenda and Stevia.

Some people have used Yerba Mate to help them break the coffee habit. The last 2 weeks I have also been trying to get in 2 cups (at meal times) of Organic Herbal Tea called Yerba Mate. I usually have the Hibiscus Lime Flavour with a Tablespoon of Org. Apple Cider Vinegar with Stevia (since I also have been trying to incorporate the AC Vinegar habit as well and find ACV hard to take but the combination with the tea makes it easier for me).

Has any one else had any experience with Yerba Mate? I guess if it is controversial or questionable it shouldn't be drank either. But from what I know it is considered a healing and healthy drink from South America that can be drank hot or cold.  Ideally you don't make it with boiling water but hot water. It does not have caffeine in it but Mateine that gives you energy but doesn't keep you awake. It helps to get better sleep, and from the reading I have done there is mention that there is health benefits - one of them even being a help with weight loss. It is loaded with vitamins, and minerals. A friend of mine who recently visited South America is trying to drink it instead of coffee. It has Mateine in it and no Caffeine and is not addicting though related to caffeine. (From what I have read: Researchers say the molecular binding is different what ever that means I'm not sure.  :blink:) Coffee effects my sleep but so far Yerba Mate appears not to be as I have drank it after 3:00 in the afternoon. There is also a number of different flavours made naturally. My favourite is Lemon Ginger.  

I didn't like green tea though I know it has health benefits as well. Having been to Japan and South Korea to see my oldest son I found that they served green tea on the plane and in Japan it was given free with restaurant meals. I grew to enjoy it but it tasted different on the plane and in Japan. Milder tasting. So I have wondered if we make it stronger then they do.

Congratulations on the weight loss!!!   :rose:  
Last edited by Bethann on October 27th, 2009, 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

I feel the same about green tea.  I never could grow to like it, even though I read all the health benefits.  I've loved black tea and then read that it probably has the same benefits, but the studies were done on the green tea.  Anyway, I used to drink black tea every morning while reading my Bible.  They just went together for me.  Then I started LDL and I still read my Bible,  :angel:  but usually after I take my morning walk -- even when I read it before, I don't have tea now.  I just broke the habit by replacing it with the walk.  I'd put evaporated milk in my tea and that really is the way it tastes best to me.  I drank it once on vacation with the evaporated milk and it didn't excite me -- so I think my taste buds have changed or something.  I do have iced tea in restaurants, but at home I rarely drink with my meals.  When I taught, at lunch I wouldn't drink with my lunch either. 
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

I have never given coffee up, and I've lost well.  I drink 2 mugs black.  I gave up cream years ago.  I really enjoy my coffee.  Hubby always makes it, and carries me my first cup each morning.  In the afternoon, I usually have herbal tea.  I like all flavors, mint is my favorite.  I don't use milk in tea.  My mom always made sassafras tea, and she raised mint, so we had it often.  We used honey or sugar in it.  We had our own honey.  I usually have a mug of decaf coffee for dinner.  I think I would enjoy hot lemonaid.  Need to try it.  Joyful Friend
RB Kayaking
Master Member

Post by RB Kayaking »

Funny how that coffee thing goes.  I didn't start drinking it until I was 30 and that was because my boyfriend at the time insisted that I drink a flavored coffee with him after dinner.  At first it the coffee was loaded with cream, then milk, then 2%. 

Lost the boyfriend and started drinking my coffee black.  My DH doesn't drink anything hot.  But I drink teas of all flavors, black, green and white.  I mix things up, keeps life interesting.

I love fresh apple cider that's been seeped in mulling spices and also hot grapefruit juice.

I confess that once in a great while I will drink just hot water.  When it's really hot hot water your taste buds can't tell that there isn't anything in the hot water.

RB Kayaking
redkat

Post by redkat »

Bethann,

Interesting information on the Yerba Mate tea.  Does it have a strong "tea" taste?.  I have never really liked hot teas, having always had coffee.  So I'm on the lookout for one that I like enough that I wouldn't miss the coffee.  That's why I wanted to try the chocolate hazelnut, thinking it would be a taste I could hancle.  I can tolerate the Celestial Seasonings Gingerbread Spice tea (ing: cinnamon, ginger, roasted chicory, roasted barley, natural flavors; cotains soy lecithin and luo han guo??) as an occasional beverage, but not something I want every day.

Joyful friend,
I have tried black coffee repeatedly, as well as coffee with milk.  I would need at least 1/2 and 1/2 milk w/coffee (cafe-au-lait) and wonder if it would be better to have more milk or a little cream...

Crickadoodle,
I envy you the morning walks.  I just can't seem to find the time for that.  I work 2 jobs.  I leave home about 7:15 and don't return until about 9:20 pm, and just the thought of getting up earlier for a walk makes me tired.  It's hard enough getting up at 6:45 to get ready!

Thanks all for your input.  I know that there is something out there for me and I will keep on looking and trying.

Kathy
Kathy
scarlett859

Post by scarlett859 »

Hey Mom,

I got a new recruit!!!
redkat

Post by redkat »

Good job!!  Your success had to be an inspiration for someone to want to jump on board.

How 'bout that picture.  Did you try to post for me??
Kathy
Bethann
Master Member

Post by Bethann »

Redcat,
Good question - "does it have a strong "tea" taste?" I'm not sure how to answer that! To me the original Yerba Mate taste grassy but not all of the flavours and Stevia takes that away for me. Some of the different flavours that I have found here in Canada are: Mocha Mint, Brazilian Green, Cinnamon Rootbos, Cardamon Chai, Hibiscus Lime, Dark Roast, and my favourite - Lemon Ginger. These are all natural with natural ingredients to influence the different flavours. For example the 3 flavours I have on hand right now for ingredients list: Lemon Ginger: green Yerba Mate, lemon myrtle leaves, & ginger root; Brazilian Green: organic green Yerba Mate; Hibiscus Lime: green Yerba Mate, hibiscus flowers, dried limes & chicory.

That Mocha Mint sounds interesting! I wonder if you would enjoy that? I have had it in the past but I forget what it is like. I also wonder can you get these different flavours only in Canada? I haven't bought it in the "States".

I'm glad to hear that some people have lost still drinking coffee because I don't know if I can give that morning cup up right now.  *love*

Bethann :)
Last edited by Bethann on October 28th, 2009, 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sicilian Mama

Post by Sicilian Mama »

I've never given up my coffee and skim milk in the morning, and I've lost 44 lbs in 3 months...

Everything in moderation...

I have noticed that I am using a lot less milk than I used to, so there is a plus... I am trying to wean myself to drinking it black... haven't gotten that far yet.

I adore tea's of all kinds, and like to sweeten them with honey.

If Green tea is drunk with a squeeze of lemon or lime, or orange, it actually helps the body absorb all the polyphenols and antioxidants in the tea, much better... Enjoy that tea!!!