Night Shifter

Feel free to talk about anything and everything re Let’s Do Lunch™.
lisadew

Night Shifter

Post by lisadew »

I am a 3rd shifter. I work 3, 12 hours shifts a week. Needless to say I eat at strange times. I was wondering if anyone else might have some ideas how to deal with this program for night workers.
Thanks
Lisa
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Re: Night Shifter

Post by Joyful Friend »

Lisadew, the good thing about LDL is that breakfast and dinner are similar-Eat a whole lot of fruit.  The lunch or middle meal is the heavy protein.  You can buy wide mouth thermos to take healthy foods such as good bean soups.  Beans help in the losing.  If you have a micro at work, you can heat foods up.  Others will be commenting and you will have a lot of help.  Joyful Friend
tonz2day

Post by tonz2day »

Welcome!  This program is so flexible and you will love this way of eating!  Almost all of us have been on every diet program imaginable.  Things that you were not allowed to eat and/or eat in low numbers are allowed with LDL.  And the support offered on this board is unbelievable!  When you get your book, read chapters 2-6 several times and be sure to ask this board any question that you might have. 
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/weAJS0m/]
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

Lisa, what hours do you work when shifting? And what time do you sleep during those shifts?

CQ
lisadew

Post by lisadew »

Hello again everyone, thanks so much for the reply. I work 7pm to 7am. I usually go to bed right when I get home. Im not a good sleeper in general, but it is worse when I have to sleep during the day. I am very certain that when the weight comes off, my sleep will be better. Im just worried on days that I work, how my eating schedule is going to be so off. I am starting this program on a good work week. I dont work nights again until next weekend, so I can get used to the new way of eating before I mess things up with staying awake all night (just kidding). So if anyone has any tips on nighttime eating that would be great. Normally when its time to eat (a meal, I usually eat all the time) it is at 11pm and then I usually (try not to) eat again until I get up from sleeping. Im doomed arent I :'(. I will be on here as much as I can so I can my ducks in a row. Thank you all for the encouragement.
God bless you
Lisa
tprouty
Master Member

Post by tprouty »

Hi Lisa.

This is so do-able! The beauty of LDL is that you can make it work for you, no matter what your lifestyle is, and no matter what yours days (or night shifts) are like.

Check out Mom's Journal in the journals pages. She has been working nights as a nurse in the ER, and you'll see that she has been very successful at taking off the unwanted pounds in just a few months, even though her schedule is sometimes insane.

Actually, you're doing well to not go to sleep on a full stomach. I know it is a major headache to change your shifts all the time, and it's hard on you. But this can work for you, I promise! Experiment with what timing works best for your light meals and your main protein meal. It is perfectly permissible to shuffle things around so they work for you -- after all, this is a life-time change, not a temporary diet.

For right now, you need to concentrate on eating all the LDL foods anytime you are hungry, and eat until you are FULL and satisfied. If you have cravings, eat the craving-busting foods until you can't eat another bite! Then once you have the cravings under control, you can experiment with meal times that work best for you.

We're all cheering for you, Lisa!  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

God bless,
Terri
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

Lisa,

This information may help you. Pay close attention to the second page regarding eating. I would take the advice of the author and eat your main meal before going to work and just eat fruit and other LDL approved snacks such as popcorn or hummus with some raw veggies while at work and then fruit for breakfast (remember that you're not going to be able to sleep if you eat something heavy). You also have to remember that your metabolism is going to be much slower during the night and you probably won't get hungry for awhile.

I use to work the midnight shift a few years ago and found that eating this way helped me. Of course, I wasn't doing LDL back then but pretty close to it. I was eating sliced apples with peanut butter (not an LDL item) and raw veggies with dip (not an LDL item). 

http://www.associatedcontent.com/articl ... tml?cat=25

CQ
Last edited by CodingQueen on October 29th, 2009, 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

Lisadew -- you really can do it!  :thumbsup:  You are going to be so excited in a month when your cravings are gone and your clothes start getting looser.  I still can't believe it sometimes, and I've been doing it 4 months!  :D  This is such an answer to prayer.  It isn't a diet, but a way of life for me.  I enjoy eating these foods and I have no intention of ever giving it up.

Welcome to the most wonderful way of eating you're going to find! 
lisadew

Post by lisadew »

Hello again, I am so excited about this journey. This is day one of my new way of life, so far so good. Im excited about this. Thank you all for your comments. I think this program is going to work well with me being a night owl. I work at my local hospital so I move around a lot which will be good. I just have one question, how does everyone do without the dairy? I just worry about getting enough Calcium. Thanks again everyone
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

Lisa, you can get your calcium from beans.

http://www.everydayhealth.com/photogall ... enter.aspx

CQ
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

Mary, did you your doctor ever buy a rebounder?

CQ
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

Good for you. And I wish her a speedy recovery. Just thinking about it makes me hurt.

CQ
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

Lisadew, my doctor put me on 1200 calcium and a 1000 D.  I also take Centrum Silver because I'm a senior.  I have strong bones, and I want them to stay strong.  I've always used a lot of milk and milk products.  I don't miss them because I still get to use ff cheeses-sparingly.  I was tested for D before I started taking it, so it would be best to check with your Dr.  I also eat a lot of beans.  Joyful Friend
hopefull

Post by hopefull »

Hi Lisadew,
I am also a night worker. I work 6pm to 6am. On my first day/night back to work I eat a normal fruit breakast, protein lunch take a snooze then eat fruit before I go to work. Then at work I eat a protein meal about 10/10:30pm then about 0300 I eat another fruit meal. By the time I get to bed at 6:30 7am I don't have anything heavy to digest.
Then I just treat my meal before I go to work as breakfast with a 10pm protein meal etc. I am still not sure what to do when I have the next day off. but mostly I get up at 3-4pm eat fruit then a light protein and because I can't seem to get to bed early even when I am off I will have another fruit meal before I go to bed.

This has been working for me for about 3 months now and have lost 20lbs. It seems like it has been effortlessly. I had wondered if I could loose weight because of working the night shift. boy was I pleasantly surprised. Anyway, I could never go all night with just fruit and veggies as someone suggested but everyone is different and that is what is so wonderful about this WOE. We all can do what works for us and we are still doing it the right way.

keep asking questions, this one has helped me too.
Thanks,
Bobbi