The Benefits of Olive Oil and Coconut Oil

Feel free to talk about anything and everything re Let’s Do Lunch™.
CodingQueen
Master Member

The Benefits of Olive Oil and Coconut Oil

Post by CodingQueen »

Posted by Norah Faith on February 12, 2009 at associatedcontent.com

Every one knows that olive oil is good for you. It has been ingrained in our brains. Extra virgin olive oil is the best. But did you know that once heated it loses many of it's benefits? This is where coconut oil comes in. Extra virgin coconut oil (vco), is the only healthy oil that retains it's nutritional qualities and benefits at very high temperatures making it the best oil to cook with.

Extra Virgin coconut oil is good for the heart, promotes weight loss by speeding up your metabolism and helping with the proper function of the thyroid gland (check out the website below), keeps your breath fresh, makes a wonderful skin moisturizer and softener, also works well as a sunscreen and does not wash off as easily as sunscreen lotions, works as an underarm and foot deodorant and as an antiperspirant. The benefits of coconut oil are countless!

Polyunsaturated fats and omega-6 oils which include common vegetable oils such as corn, soy, safflower, sunflower and canola, are the absolute worst oils to use in cooking. These oils are highly susceptible to heat damage due to the double bonds found in them and encourage the formation of blood clots by increasing platelet stickiness. Dr. Mercola states that Coconut oil helps to promote normal platelet function and that the only oil that is able to resist heat induced damage while promoting heart health and maintaining normal cholesterol levels is virgin coconut oil. Coconut oil is made from the flesh of matured coconuts and according to Wikipedia has 862 calories per 100 grams while olive oil has 890 calories per 100 grams. During world war II the U.S was prevented from shipping coconut oil and so other oils that were easy to obtain but not easy on the body were marketed and advertised as being good for you. After the war, coconut oil was available but kept in the dark because it threatened the market for the leading oil brands.

So now I'm just passing the word. There's two types of oils you can have in your house and feel good about, extra virgin olive oil and extra virgin coconut oil. Uncooked extra virgin olive oil for your health, salad dressings and flavoring foods and coconut oil for cooking, baking and everything else including deep frying! You can get rid of those other oils. Let someone figure out how to use them in cars.

Just like olive oil there are different grades of coconut oil. For extra virgin coconut oil to benefit you it should have certain qualities. Virgin coconut oil must be organic, must not be refined, must not have added chemicals, must not be bleached, must not be deodorized, must not be hydrogenated, and must be made without heat processing. Extra Virgin Coconut Oil has a mild but pleasant flavor and scent making it a wonderful ingredient to add to your meals and your life.

For more information regarding the health benefits of coconut oil, please check out the following website posted by the The Wolfe Clinic, one of the most famous clinics in the world practising homeopathic medicine.

http://www.thewolfeclinic.com/newslette ... t_oil.html
Last edited by CodingQueen on November 7th, 2009, 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RB Kayaking
Master Member

Re: The Benefits of Olive Oil and Coconut Oil

Post by RB Kayaking »

Grapeseed oil is a nice substitute.  It is made from the seeds of grapes and has a high cooking temperature which means you don't lose the value of it.  It's a light tasting oil--no oily and really has no flavor of its own--but takes on flavors well. 

It's available in specialty food stores.

RB Kayaking
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

RT,

Coconut oil isn't sweet. In fact, it doesn't even leave a taste like olive oil. Plus, I've also noticed that my weight loss has increased since I started using it. That's why I posted the information regarding the metabolism and thyroid gland. There are many of us that have hypothyroidism.

CQ
Mary J
Master Member

Post by Mary J »

Do you find this in your regular grocery store?
Mary J
FL

Started LDL in Oct 09
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

I found it at Publix in the Greenwise section.

CQ
Mary J
Master Member

Post by Mary J »

Cool,,,, I shop at Publix!  Thanks so much for the info...
Mary J
FL

Started LDL in Oct 09
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

CQ -- I read the article (well, most of it, but it was soooo long) and found this info very interesting.  I even looked at other articles on it.  I decided I wanted to get some and just check it out to see what happened.  I went to the health food store in town and they had it there.  According to the lady there, it is awesome to pop popcorn with.  It is the healthiest oil for high heat.  I know you know already, but it is supposed to help your metabolism increase and help with weight loss and so many things it sounded too good to not at least give a try. 

Once again, thank you for sharing your knowledge with us.  It can be a little pricey, but I found an online company to order it from for my next batch of it.  :D  All I ever knew about it was that it was bad for you, so to read this other view was eye opening.  I am going to use it on my skin and the lady said it is the best hair conditioner.  I joked, "Maybe it'll make my husband's hair grow back."  She actually said she knows someone who used it just for that and claimed it helped her hair grow back.  She said it is a lot like avocado and how people tend to stay away from it, but it is very good for you.
tprouty
Master Member

Post by tprouty »

Hi CQ

Once again, thanks for your helpful info! I've used coconut oil quite a bit, but have gotten away from it recently in favor of the olive oil mentioned in most of the recipes. I think I will use it a bit more now, especially in the winter months, as I notice my skin getting drier and my nails a little more brittle as cold weather starts to settle in. Coconut oil has improved those conditions in the past. From my experience, coconut oil doesn't have a negative impact on my cravings or metabolism -- but then I haven't used it much since starting LDL. However, anyone should test it carefully for their own use, and make sure it's a safe addition. Food sensitivities and allergies make many of us respond uniquely!

In my area, it is REALLY expensive to purchase coconut oil in any of the stores, but there are a number of places to buy online, if anyone wants to try it out. I get it a gallon at a time at Tropical Traditions, and it has no problem staying fresh at room temperature -- doesn't go rancid like other oils can when unrefrigerated. There are a number of sites that carry good, virgin, cold-pressed oil, if it isn't easily available in retail stores.

Thanks again!
Terri
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

CodingQueen wrote: Plus, I've also noticed that my weight loss has increased since I started using it. That's why I posted the information regarding the metabolism and thyroid gland. There are many of us that have hypothyroidism.

Mary, I think you missunderstood my post. I have been using it to cook with for awhile now. I don't like the taste of coconut (so I don't eat it) but the oil doesn't leave a taste...just a nice aroma that makes the kitchen smell so good. It also hasn't caused any cravings.

So, from here on it's coconut to cook with and olive oil for my dressings.

CQ
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

The smell was so nice, I agree.  I popped popcorn for my husband and had a small bowl to try it too.  It is very good tasting.  How long have you been using it, CQ? 
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

Crickadoodle,

Oh, gosh! I've been cooking with it for about five years but not all the time. I'd mainly use olive oil. Then a few months ago we were talking about it at the office and I had a renewed interest in finding out more. So, I did and started cooking with it all the time. I just didn't mention it here until I was sure that it wasn't going to stall my weight loss. It hasn't. I was only losing about 2 pounds a week (without exercise) but when I started using the coconut oil I began to lose about 3 pounds a week (without exercise). I know that may not seem like a lot to some people but I'd rather lose slowly at a healthy rate rather than quick and have a fat pad on my lower abdomen. I really don't care to have a tummy tuck. I have more important things to spend my money on these days.

But what's really nice about coconut oil, unlike other oils that have to be refridgerated after they're opened and only have a short life span, it doesn't go bad as long as you store it in a cool dry place. I keep mine in the pantry on the other side of the kitchen away from the stove.

By the way, I love popcorn popped in coconut oil.

CQ
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

how did i miss this discussion??? :stop:

thank you so much, cq, for printing out this info :thumbsup:.....EVERYTHING you wrote is absolutely on the mark.........AND, you quote dr mercola who is VERY knowledgeable on the subject of good health....
way before i heard of let's do lunch, i bought a vat of extra virgin coconut oil...unfortunately, it didn't seem to really help my thyroid function, although i believe i have some other problem that noone seems able to diagnose and my fatigue is not from my thyroid but something else......
it absolutely is the healthiest oil on the planet......when i got discouraged about it not helping my thyroid, i used to use my vat of evco to put on top of my garbage can to keep my nosy dog out of my garbage...it became like a joke in my family,"the dog is in the garbage, where's the vat of coconut oil?" ....
when i started let's do lunch, i didn't want to waste it and i used it in cooking while on let's do lunch and i poured it on my popcorn(delicious btw)....it lasts forever...i think it took me a year or two to finish it and it was still fresh and totally fine...it IS great on your skin(don't know about the male pattern baldness)
the ONLY reason i didn't get more was because i didn't want to spend the money....this is TOTALLY fine for let's do lunch....it has the B.Q.S.A.(bean queen's stamp of approval)

NOW, i'm going to buy more because i can't put a price on my health(i think i paid $50 or $60 for a small vat)................so, thank you for reminding me,cq.....niki(aka bean queen)
life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain..
Mary J
Master Member

Post by Mary J »

CQ,

May I ask the brand name of this oil that you find in Publix?

Thanks,
Mary J
Mary J
FL

Started LDL in Oct 09
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

Mary J wrote:May I ask the brand name of this oil that you find in Publix?

i'm interested in this, too, cq....i was just looking online and see the gallon vat for a total of $81 from that place that someone mentioned, which is where i got my first vat from.....i think it's tropical traditions(it's organic extra virgin coconut oil)...............ps....it lasts a LONG time so although $81 sounds like a lot of money, that amount will last a year or two........
life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain..
Mary J
Master Member

Post by Mary J »

I found it here too. 

http://products.mercola.com/coconut-oil/

Mary J
Mary J
FL

Started LDL in Oct 09
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

The brand I found at Publix is called "Nutiva." It cost me $22.00. They also carry another brand called "Spectrum" but it's refined and that's what you don't want.

CQ
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

CodingQueen wrote:The brand I found at Publix is called "Nutiva." It cost me $22.00. They also carry another brand called "Spectrum" but it's refined and that's what you don't want.

is it organic and extra virgin?....and for $22, how big is the container?
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

Yes, it's organic and extra virgin...29 ounces. I could probably find something cheaper per ounce in a larger container at the health food store. I've just been so busy working and it's just easier to run down the street to Publix.

CQ