protein

The place to go if you have a question that needs answered!
golordgo

protein

Post by golordgo »

Hi, I have a question regarding protein . I have been doing strength training workouts along with kick-boxing and have been told that I need protein with every meal and since proteins fill us up and make us less hungry ,shouldn't we have it for every meal so we won't be snacking ?  Roger says we can not have snacks so when can we have the treats ?(I can't wait to try some of these !) Doctor says I am on my way to DM type 2 so I am concern about eating so much fruit without the protein. Thanks for your response and God Bless !!Skim milk as less calories then juices , why can't we use this for smoothies ?  Thanks I am a newbie ! Deb
crickadoodle
Master Member

Re: protein

Post by crickadoodle »

Well, Deb, you have a lot of questions!  :D  You do need protein, but it isn't necessary to have at every meal.  Beans are protein, though, and you could have that at every meal if you'd like.  Now, if you are just starting it is fine to snack, because we don't want you to be hungry.  If you are hungry, you can tend to make bad choices.  About the skim milk and juice -- I don't have either, but I don't make smoothies.  Dairy is limited to occasional.  There are lots of food that have calcium besides dairy.  What is DM type 2?  I would imagine Type 2 diabetes, maybe.  There are lots of diabetics who follow this WOE and many have gotten their blood sugar under control because of eating this way.  So, I'd say it is a good thing you found this way of eating before you actually are diabetic.  :thumbsup:

Personally, I do strength training with the Total Gym 3 times a week and I just have protein at my lunch meal.  I eat fruit for breakfast and supper.  I am losing and my muscles are getting stronger -- which is what it is all about for me.  I am almost to goal and this really works.  You just need to trust it and do it.  Many of us just had to let go of some old ways of thinking about food and dieting.  Like I always say, it's not a diet, it's a livet.  You can live with this plan and enjoy it and not feel deprived.  You just have to trust it and maybe stop listening to the other voices for a time, so they don't distract you or cause you to doubt this will work. 
malmq

Post by malmq »

I have a question about protein.....

Are eggs considered a protein?  I was thinking that if I have my "meat" protein at lunch, can I have eggs on a salad for dinner?

If beans are also, then the only kind of protein to try to have at lunch would be meat?
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

malmq wrote:Are eggs considered a protein?  I was thinking that if I have my "meat" protein at lunch, can I have eggs on a salad for dinner?

If beans are also, then the only kind of protein to try to have at lunch would be meat?

meat,poultry or fish are the foods that should only be eaten once a day....BEANS can be eaten at ANY time.......you CAN'T eat too many beans....................
the egg thing?...when i started on let's do lunch almost 4 years ago, roger included eggs in that protein category....he's since amended it to allow eggs to be eaten at other meals......in my personal opinion, the moderate amount of complete protein eaten at the main meal along with beans(an incomplete protein)is absolutely sufficient...
life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain..
golordgo

Post by golordgo »

Hello and thank you for your quick and kind answers concerning proteins. Its hard to change your way of thinking after so many years but this diet is absolutely worth a go. Wish me luck and thanks again. Deb
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

golordgo,

My question is when do you workout? My son is into strength training and says the best time is in the morning.

Before his workout he fills up on fruit smoothies with beans. He says the fruit contains the high carbs and water necessary for hydration and the beans contain carbs and protein (both are important for endurance).

About 30 minutes later (after he's finished) he eats a couple of eggs and beans to refuel his muscles with amino acids and carbs that were burned.

At lunch, he eats his main meal like I do.

CQ
golordgo

Post by golordgo »

Hi CQ,
I also work out in the mornings, mon wed fri and do kick boxing tues /thursday. I was afraid that just a smoothie would give me the shakes during work out but I will try the beans , any particular kind he likes in his smoothies? I also take an amino acid drink during workouts, if helps with endurance but I eat nothing after workouts until lunch. I was wondering if the amino acid drink called XTEND is ok with LDL? Thanks for your interest any advice you can give . Deb
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

He uses white beans (cannellini) because you can't taste them in the smoothies.

As far as I can tell, XTEND only contains amino acids and B6. That's fine. Just make sure it doesn't contain any hidden sugars for flavoring. I couldn't find an actual ingredient panel.

CQ
golordgo

Post by golordgo »

hey thanks again, I couldn't find the ingrediants for XTEND either and I thought that was odd and I can not find cannellini beans here, is this the same has navy beans ? I really appreciate your time , you are helping me alot . Thanks, deb
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

Northern or navy beans would probably work...any white bean.

And Your Welcome!

CQ
bludaffodil

Post by bludaffodil »

Deb,

I went to the following site ( http://www.muscleandstrength.com/store/ ... html  ) and found the ingredients in XTEND:

Ingredients:
L-Leucine, L-Glutamine, L-Valine, L-Isoleucine, Citrulline Malate, Natural And Artificial Flavors, Potassium Citrate, Acesulfame Potassium, Sucralose, Pyridoxine HCL

I think "natural and artificial flavors" are a way they "sneak" things in that
turn out to be no-nos on LDL........and I think the sucralose is also a no-no.

Maybe someone who knows more than I do will take a look at these ingredients
and can let you know one way or the other.  Personally, I would stay away from
this product on LDL.

Kathy
bludaffodil
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

Deb,

The first four ingredients are amino acids, the fifth is salt....good question...what are the artificial flavors? Also, it contains sucralose which is sugar.

How much of it do you have left?

CQ
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Splenda is sucralose
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
bludaffodil

Post by bludaffodil »

from Wikipedia:

Sucralose is a zero-calorie sugar substitute artificial sweetener. In the European Union, it is also known under the E number (additive code) E955. Sucralose is approximately 600 times as sweet as sucrose (table sugar),[2] twice as sweet as saccharin, and 3.3 times as sweet as aspartame. Unlike aspartame, it is stable under heat and over a broad range of pH conditions. Therefore, it can be used in baking or in products that require a longer shelf life. The commercial success of sucralose-based products stems from its favorable comparison to other low-calorie sweeteners in terms of taste, stability, and safety.[3]

Sucralose is typically added to foods in very small quantities. Sucralose products manufactured in the US for domestic consumption are commonly formulated by the addition of "bulking" ingredients such as glucose (dextrose) and maltodextrin to give a degree of sweetness per unit volume comparable to sucrose, and to give some products an appearance similar to granular sugar. Some examples of these sweeteners are Splenda, SucraPlus and Cukren.
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

Ladies,

I'm quite familiar with what sucralose is...

My question is what are the artificial ingredients and whether Deb should continue to use it. The sucralose is far enough down the list but I still would like to see a nutrition panel. Maybe after I'm done working tonight I'll try to find one.

CQ
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

Deb,

I wouldn't use it. From all the information that bludaffodil, LINDA RN and I could find it's definitely going to railroad your efforts. It has a lot more sugar than the product implies. After going back and reading the website posted by bludaffodil, it looks like the artificial flavors are for the fruit flavorings. The is no substitute for real fruit.

CQ
Last edited by CodingQueen on November 17th, 2009, 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
golordgo

Post by golordgo »

:cool:  Thank you all ladies for the input. I have a lot of XTEND left but really haven't been using it that much lately. It was really good when I first started weigh lifting and was so sore, it really does take out the soreness.
Thanks again ladies !!!