Hey Bobbi Be Encouraged!

Feel free to talk about anything and everything re Let’s Do Lunch™.
msdrina09
New, but learning

Hey Bobbi Be Encouraged!

Post by msdrina09 »

My Name is MsDrina09 and I'm New to the Program As Well!!

I read the book in one setting I was so intrigued and excited about the eating lifestyle that Roger Wilson has adopted.  I also really was motivated by the fact that it was an openly Christian perspective on adopting healthy lifestyle diet changes.  I want to say welcome to you Bobbi and hopefully you find much success. 

I think this program will be very easy to stick to because really I don't have a lot of the problem foods.  My hardest hurdle will be giving up pasta (* I only eat whole wheat), rice (*I only eat Jasmine white rice) and bread (*have only eaten whole grain since an adult). Even though I eat healthier versions of these foods I am most nervous of rice and bread.  Otherwise I am very optimistic, I plan to start tomorrow (*I have to shop for healthy stuff).  I do not plan on throwing out the food I have I plan on donating it to a local pantry.  I do not want to pass on bad habits to others but in reality there are a lot of elderly and children who are not on diets who can benefit from this food.  Well hopefully like me Bobbi you will check in often and keep us all encouraged.  My goal is to check in at least once per week getting started. 

My goals:
I have a great deal of weight to lose I am considered morbidly obese at 359lbs.  I am 6 feet tall so I will always be a heavier larger woman; I am ok with this, I just want to be healthy for a change and not be on 4 medicines plus insulin at the tender age of 34 years young. 
Weight:  185-200
Size:  16 or less
Timeline: 1 yr
MsDrina09
niki
Administrator

Re: Hey Bobbi Be Encouraged!

Post by niki »

hi drina....welcome......this is a WONDERFUL way to eat....

in the beginning, you could do 2 different things....you could substitute mahogony black rice(totally unprocessed brown rice)and dreamfield's pasta(body doesn't absorb all the carbs)....
OR, you could detox yourself completely from all this stuff and be aware that down the road, you COULD eat these foods either occasionally or NEVER depending on wether or not you want them or not......
i look forward to reading of your success.........sincerely,niki
life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain..
Sicilian Mama

Post by Sicilian Mama »

I AM RIGHT THERE WITH YOU!!!

You have a sister in me!

I have about 150lbs to go... and I know from where you are coming from...

Ask any and all questions you can!

In the beginning... REMEMBER TO EAT, EAT, EAT... all the LDL foods you want, whenever hungry, until full, no matter when... to get rid of cravings... THIS IS VERY, VERY, VERY IMPORTANT!
Re read the book a few more time... I read it 9 times...

Enjoy and WELCOME!
Sicilian Mama

Post by Sicilian Mama »

oH, AND ms. Drina...

I actually CRIED the first week... OVER BREAD AND PASTA!  I am an italian caterer and chef... yeah... I cried...

BUT NOW... after losing 52 lbs in 4months... PASTA AND BREAD can take a proverbial hike!

Getting healthy FEELS much better than any bread and pasta will ever taste...

I read in a Prevention Book, that Bread and Pasta are NOT NECESSARY FOR OUR DIETS OR OUR LIVES... and that quote has helped me tremendously...  I still cook pasta and make fresh bread every single day... and don't eat it... and when I have to taste it.. I do just that... taste...and yes...I spit it out into the trash...

Your body will thank you for not having all that yeast in your body... I promise...

Just eat your corn, peas and beans to curb cravings...
Jessica

Post by Jessica »

Hi Drina,

Welcome to LDL.  I am still waiting for my book to arrive.  It should be here tomorrow or Monday.  I am hoping for tomorrow.  I would love to read it this weekend, so I can really have time to absorb it.  I started LDL on November 1 and so far so good.  I am using the boards as my guide. I can't wait to get the recipe cards!! I have made the tomato soup and it is awesome. 

We should get together on this.  We are almost the same-give or take. I'm 35, 5'11" (plus a little), on 2 high blood pressure medicines, and weigh about 5 pounds more than you.  We could help each other out, if you wanted. ~jess~
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

Welcome, Drina!  You are going to do so well with this way of eating.  I'm so glad you found this website and plan.  I can't wait to hear of all your successes that will be happening in the near future. 
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

Drina, Welcome.  I know you will find success if you eat all the LDL foods that you want.  I just love pizza and I would go hungry on other diets and then order myself a big greasy pizza.  I am so thankful that the beans, peas, and corn that I love but thought were fattening foods have taken my pizza craving away and I haven't had a pizza in over 4 months and I don't desire it.  I am so glad you will have friends  on the boards who understand and will help you along your way to a healthy body.  I will be looking forward to read about your success.  *hug*  Joyful Friend
VickiLynn
Master Member

Post by VickiLynn »

msdrina09 wrote:I just want to be healthy for a change and not be on 4 medicines plus insulin

Drina,

Welcome to a new you!  Please read the Medical Success stories -- they will inspire you to adopt this WOE for a lifetime!

Vicki
RB Kayaking
Master Member

Post by RB Kayaking »

Hey Drina,

Along with a sugar addiction I had the pasta and bread one as well.  If I could eat those three I was happy happy.  After just a few days of the sweetest fruits I could find (not hard in June) I was done with sugar.  I can hardly stand the smell of chocolate, let alone eat it. 

Pasta and bread cravings took a little longer to get rid of.  I had this preconceived idea about lima beans, butter beans or whatever you want to call those beans--YUCK.  So I ate corn, black, red, multi colored beans and chickpeas.  None of these went well in smoothies.  I was on a smoothie kick because I could carry the drink around with me while I was doing things and it would take me anywhere from ten minutes to an hour to drink it.  No it wasn't super sized.  I wanted to try beans in it to see if it would carry me to lunch.  I bit the bullet--lima beans--and blended them beyond reconnition and added the fruit.  Ok that worked

I still wanted bread and pasta after two weeks so I bit that bullet again and tried lima beans with tomato sauce.  Not bad.  Then tomato sauce over french slice green beans.  Even better.

I can now pass up the bread and pasta, but not the lima beans.  My other two bean haters in my family look to see where I have put the beans in their foods.  They can't find them because I've blended them first! And they love all the food I make that is LDL friendly.

Take your time with this.  Don't worry if you aren't losing as fast as someone else--they are someone else.  Weigh yourself once and slide that scale as far under the bed as you can.  The dust bunnies are fascinated by scales.  Trust how your clothes fit.  Eat until your full. 

The recipes are easy to follow even if you don't cook.  Don't have a spice or herb or the right beans that the recipe calls for--use something else.  Don't make LDL hard--it is the smartest way of eating that you will ever find.

RB Kayaking
MusicManiac

Post by MusicManiac »

Hi,

My husband and I really love Little Mary's Fake Rice at http://www.letsdolunch.com/boards/index ... pic=3206.0

When we do stir-fry, DH always asks for this!!!
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

MusicM, thanks, for the thread with the cauliflower rice.  I just happen to have two heads in frig on the porch.  I had one head and then I saw a bargain, and bought another one.  Soup from one and stir fry with the other.  I love the cauliflower soup. Mary is so creative, but I do not have time to read all the recipes so your reccommendation helped me.  Ohio State is playing Iowa right now--Have to watch the game.  *hug*  *hug* to you, Joyful Friend
msdrina09
New, but learning

Post by msdrina09 »

You all are sooo awesome!  I feel so well welcomed and supported!  I have never done an online support group but I am very excited that you all are so vocal and helpful...this truly has made my heart warm and reaffirms my determination to do this.  I did a good job today (*my first day)  I must say it is a bit scary to be eating so much stuff, but I trust that the author and you all have seen the success that I crave.

I scanned and printed out the 14 day program and ultimate grocery list.  I am committed to only shop from this list from now on.  I went shopping last night and spent well over $70 on just fruit/veggies.  I can see now that this will be a bit pricey but it does not deter me in the least bit.  I suspect it will be at about $180/month for just fruits and veggies.  Does anyone have any secrets to cut expenses (besides growing yourself)?  I do have the Green Bags to preserve stuff longer, but I am not used to relying on such a large quantity of fresh fruit.  I was also considering freezing other fruits besides the grapes.  Does anyone have something in particular they like frozen?
As for the bread…I think I am going to have to be weaned off slowly but surely.  I cannot quit cold turkey at this point.  I will stick to the program in other ways and hopefully the natural process of the cravings going away will take effect and I will no longer desire bread as much.  I have resolved to follow the point that Wilson makes many times in LDL when you have to choose, choose the least offensive alternative version of what you crave.  So I have whole wheat pita pockets which are very thin, whole grain all natural tortilla shells and whole grain wheat bread. 
Well all for now and thanks again everybody for your support!!  :thumbsup:
MsDrina09
bludaffodil

Post by bludaffodil »

Drina,

Frozen sliced bananas are yummy!  :thumbsup:

Kathy
bludaffodil
Sicilian Mama

Post by Sicilian Mama »

I LOVE frozen cherries... the best!

Also, frozen cantaloupe, honeydew melon, strawberries and watermelon...

Here's something to remember when you think your fruit/veggie bill is too high...  How much MORE does a hospital bill cost, from eating all the wrong foods and being ill?  How much is a 15 minute Doctor visit?  I venture to guess, a heck of a lot more than a bag of wholesome, fiber rich, healthy living, and THRIVING fruits and veggies!!!

I shop for fruit every three days so I can pick the freshest, and what's on sale... no waste that way!
Enjoy!
RB Kayaking
Master Member

Post by RB Kayaking »

Your bill goes down when you don't fill your cart with dairy products, pastas, rice, bread, unhealthy snacks, fatty meats and sugar laden treats (mislabeled for sure as they don't treat your body well).

That leaves plenty of room for fresh/frozen/canned veggies and fruits and lean cuts of meat.

RB Kayaking
Jessica

Post by Jessica »

Hi again,

My first 2 weeks my grocery bill was huge.  I didn't have a blender, food processor,pot (for making soup), or spices.  You can imagine after getting all of that and buying all the fruit and lean meat what my bill was.  HUGE.  However, this week my bill was less than 70 bucks even with stuff like dishwasher detergent, toilet cleaner, and cat food.  I am also finding that as time goes on I am finding what foods work best for me, and I am able to cut out things.  Also, I am finding that some fruits like clementines (which i just discovered are yummy), and apples last for more than a week so I don't have to buy as much. I am also finding out what fruits and vegies I prefer.  My first week I  froze a bunch of apples, bananas, grapes, kiwi, and a bunch of lean turkey and hamburger.  I figured I'd be pigging out a lot and I wanted to be prepared.  However, I was pleasantly surprised when at the end of the week i still had plenty left.  I am thinking that before long I will have my grocery bill down to between 50 and 60 bucks. Which isn't bad.  I spent way more on junk before.

When I make a "smoothie" I use 1cup sugarfree fruit juice and then throw in frozen bananas, strawberries, blueberries, kiwi, apple, etc... it turns out like icecream. the banana makes it creamy.  It's actually pretty good and takes care of the ice cream craving. 

Have a great week, ~jess~
VickiLynn
Master Member

Post by VickiLynn »

[quote="msdrina09"]
As for the bread…I think I am going to have to be weaned off slowly but surely.  I cannot quit cold turkey so I have whole wheat pita pockets which are very thin, whole grain all natural tortilla shells and whole grain wheat bread.  /quote]

Msdrina,

I know how hard it is for you to give up breads, but I would suggest you put them in the freezer where they are less visable and only eat when you get a HUGH CRAVING for bread. If you just can't get the craving out of your head, defrost only ONE pita pocket or tortilla shell or piece of bread.  Keep eating all the beans you can because you'll find that your craving for breads go away very quickly.

Vicki
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

Drina, Vicky is so right.  Bread cravings will leave you quickly if you eat beans, corn, and peas.  We're all different and we have to allow LDL work for us.  I can't believe that I have no cravings.  It's true.  :rose:  :rose:  :rose:  to you, Joyful Friend
hopefull

Post by hopefull »

I don't have anything knew to add. Sounds like you have gotten a lot of good advice.
Just want to welcome you to the community of LDL and hope you enjoy.
My grocery bill has gone down. There are also some posts here that tell how people are feeding large families with less money by cooking LDL for them.

Hugs,
Bobbi