Eating LDL and Eating LDL to lose weight... are two different things...

Feel free to talk about anything and everything re Let’s Do Lunch™.
Sicilian Mama

Eating LDL and Eating LDL to lose weight... are two different things...

Post by Sicilian Mama »

That title up there?
Yeah...
I know it might irk some people...
But on one of the discussions, someone said just that... and it MADE SO MUCH SENSE!  I have noticed a lot of people eating LDL foods... and I've noticed a lot of people eating LDL foods to lose weight...
Does that sound confusing?  It did to me at first too... but it's not anymore.
To the newbies out there... and those that really want to drop the weight and do this program the way Roger wrote it... be aware that there are some that just love eating this way for their well being and health, and others that are working the system, trying to drop the pounds in a consistent manner...
Don't get me wrong.. both ways are fine... but I assume that people initially come on these boards to lose weight.  I have about 12 ladies that I am coaching through this right now, that come on the boards and read all the "wrong" food people are eating, and think they can too... because someone else wrote that they did...
I just wanted to disspell the myth that eating LDL means one will always lose weight consistently, because eating LDL foods all day long after the initial craving buster period, or eating multiple protein meals, event though they are LDL, isn't the way to go for maximum weight loss... on the plan...

I just wanted to put that out there for my ladies that are working with me on the plan... we are texting each other when we eat, what we eat, asking each other questions, and keeping tabs of each other, and I often send them here to the website to read stuff...

Don't get all mad at me and tell me I'm being too harsh or that I need to live and let live... I'm just putting it out there that there are two very distinct ways on these boards, and if my friends want to drop the weight, they need to be careful not to take everything written as an okay to eat that way, while on plan.  THEY CAN EAT ANY WAY THEY WANT... but when we are all talking to each other on texts or online, (My friends and I) need to be coming from the same place...

Just wanted to say that...

Be well friends...
However you do this plan... I hope you are succesful and healthy!
VickiLynn
Master Member

Re: Eating LDL and Eating LDL to lose weight... are two different things...

Post by VickiLynn »

Sicilian Mama wrote:... eating LDL foods all day long after the initial craving buster period, or eating multiple protein meals, event though they are LDL, isn't the way to go for maximum weight loss... on the plan...

Mama,

I totally understand what you're saying  :thumbsup: .  My husband and I are both on LDL and have been since July 2009. We followed the plan EXACTLY as Roger indicated and consistently lost all the weight we wanted (we are both at goal).  We continue to follow all of the LDL principles to this day. So those of you who want to lose weight, you cannot eat at will and expect results.  The SIDE BENEFIT to LDL is improved physical and mental health.

I have noticed one mistake that a lot of newbies make -- they don't eat enough!  Eat your heavy protein meal once a day until you are full or even stuffed to the point you cannot eat another bite.  Try not to snack between meals, but if you must, eat fresh fruit.  Try not to eat anything any later than three hours before you go to bed and do not eat any foods Roger says are occasional ones consistently -- for example fat free cheese. If you follow Roger's principles, you WILL lose weight!

Vicki
Last edited by VickiLynn on January 9th, 2010, 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
barrypaxton
Master Member

Post by barrypaxton »

Mama,

I understand what you are saying. As I read some of the journals, I know that some of the things others eat will not be in my menu until I am ready to start maintaining. As long as I am still striving to lose weight, I will stick strict to plan...I won't add anything to the plan and I won't take anything away. This plan (like our Lord and Savior) is perfect!!

Many blessings,
Ollie
LDL since 10/13/2009.....Reached Goal Weight 2/14/2011.....88 lbs lost

Make everyday an LDL day!!!        

Life without God is like an unsharpened pencil - it has no point.
VickiLynn
Master Member

Post by VickiLynn »

Ollie,

My husband and I are both at goal. I incorporate a non-LDL food (one half small baked sweet or Idaho potato or a small serving of pasta) occassionally . I made a regular pumpkin pie for Thanskgiving and we each had one piece that day and then I sliced it and froze the pieces individually.  Guess what?  The rest of the pie is still in the freezer!!  I haven't had a craving for it at all -- my sweet craving now is for fresh fruit!!
Carolina Girl
New, but learning

Post by Carolina Girl »

Thanks, Sicilian Mama, for this post. I am a brand new newbie (5th day) and I appreciate you coaching us to do things the correct way to be successful. I have tried all the other programs that do not merit a lifestyle like LDL does. I went to a birthday party last night (friend turned 50) and did not touch the cake. Ate LDL before I went. Last week (before LDL) I would not have been able to do that. I welcome your coaching anytime. Thanks so much for caring! Your success is amazing!!!!
barrypaxton
Master Member

Post by barrypaxton »

Carolina Girl,

Congratulations on your excellent choice last night. Roger is correct that if you follow this way of eating (WOE) you will not crave sweets. I have nolt had even one non-LDL sweet since I started the plan on Oct 13. We had lots of sweets in our house during Christmas, but they just didn't interest me.

Many blessings,
Ollie
LDL since 10/13/2009.....Reached Goal Weight 2/14/2011.....88 lbs lost

Make everyday an LDL day!!!        

Life without God is like an unsharpened pencil - it has no point.
RB Kayaking
Master Member

Post by RB Kayaking »

Hey Mama,

Boy do I agree with you.  Roger says it all the time, "You can eat healthy or you can healthy to lose weight."  Big difference.

Recipes posted should be everyday usage because who really understands what "once in awhile is?" when you are trying to eliminate weight--not maintaining.

If someone has a recipe that's once in awhile winner--don't post it.  Tell everyone about it and let them pm you for the recipe. Once in awhile is just too confusing and led me for just a short period to see what else that I coul remake to eat that wasn't LDL.

I'm introducing LDL to my son's school Tuesday night and I want this to continue to be a great place to come to for support.  If you are eating non-LDL foods go some place else to discuss it because you don't know what other people's triggers are.

LDL as written is so simple to follow--let's keep it that way.

RB Kayaking
MsHeirloom
Master Member

Post by MsHeirloom »

Good posts and lots to think about.  My husband (normal weight) eats what I do and cheats sometimes.  That maintains his weight- not what we are striving for!  Pam
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

I agree, I had dropped 22 lbs just eating healthy but it was over a longer period of time. I gave in to the holidays, but even though I still am not on the express train yet, I use the boards for encouragement and a place to say Yippee when the weight does start dropping again. The biggest hindrance I have found for me is not eating until stuffed. I have been so used to eating on the run and snacking all day that when I finally ate a huge amount of LDL soup until stuffed, I was satisfied for hours. DH has been listening to Don Colbert who also advocates eating very light at supper, so the message got through to him and he is willing to forego any protein after 2 pm. It sure helps when you can do this together.
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
Sicilian Mama

Post by Sicilian Mama »

I gotta tell ya...

I was ready for a real backlash... I tend to be to harsh and not as lovey dovey as everyone else...:)  I'm okay with it... but I have a literal ton of weight to lose... and at first, when I was reading the boards in my first month... I GOT SOOO CONFUSED!  Some people were eating pie, some were eating strictly, some were talking about adding this or that... and then RT got on one and gently told
everyone to just stop adding and making food like we used to eat... and just eat the way the book says... AND THEN I felt like I was gonna be okay.

I see sooooo many journals mention Fat Free cheese everyday, and Fat free sour cream every day... and all those other highly processed things... and I really wanted to get away from all those things and am coaching my friends to do the same... and some journals cause more harm than good... I'm afraid.

PROCESSED CHEESE IS NOT REAL!!! It should be very, very occasional... I tell my sons that occasional means... every three to four months... not every week.
I am completely passionate about his plan, this way of eating.  This is my very last weight loss plan ever... I am that sure of it. And I just want to badly for my friends and family to succeed on it to, if they choose to eat this way... and we must all be choosy as to what we read on here...

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH FOR YOUR SUPPORT ON THIS... I was really surprised... I really thought I was gonna get a lot of flack for posting it.
I was ready for it and everything!! LOL!
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

I am with you Saundra,
I don't want any processed stuff even if it is low cal. So I don't do margarine, and have now been able to get raw milk, although I don't drink much of it (like a cup once a month). DH does and is still loosing weight. I know it would stall other's weight so I don't mention it. I don't do the artificial sweeteners either. There are studies that show they mess with your insulin as much as real sugar. DH did not like Stevia in his iced tea but now he is thinking more about getting used to it so I may be able to eliminate that little natural sugar I use in the tea (1/3 cup to 2 qt tea). I know that the sugars are stalling the weight loss so we are getting off slowly but surely. I am sure that I would do better to get off the coffee and switch to the hot tea with stevia. Whole foods are the way to go. Just have to stop the ones that will stall the weight loss until you are at goal, such as the dairy, the dark meat, nuts and seeds, etc....
BTW I had been thinking about asking you if you had a recipe for a better Miracle Whip? Mayo just doesn't taste the same in some things but I hate the fact that they use corn syrup in it. After typing this, I have about convinced myself that I should just do without those foods that need it until I reach goal.
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
lulu65

Post by lulu65 »

Sicilian Mama wrote:I gotta tell ya...

I was ready for a real backlash... I tend to be to harsh and not as lovey dovey as everyone else...:)  I'm okay with it... but I have a literal ton of weight to lose... and at first, when I was reading the boards in my first month... I GOT SOOO CONFUSED!  Some people were eating pie, some were eating strictly, some were talking about adding this or that... and then RT got on one and gently told
everyone to just stop adding and making food like we used to eat... and just eat the way the book says... AND THEN I felt like I was gonna be okay.

I see sooooo many journals mention Fat Free cheese everyday, and Fat free sour cream every day... and all those other highly processed things... and I really wanted to get away from all those things and am coaching my friends to do the same... and some journals cause more harm than good... I'm afraid.

PROCESSED CHEESE IS NOT REAL!!! It should be very, very occasional... I tell my sons that occasional means... every three to four months... not every week.
I am completely passionate about his plan, this way of eating.  This is my very last weight loss plan ever... I am that sure of it. And I just want to badly for my friends and family to succeed on it to, if they choose to eat this way... and we must all be choosy as to what we read on here...

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH FOR YOUR SUPPORT ON THIS... I was really surprised... I really thought I was gonna get a lot of flack for posting it.
I was ready for it and everything!! LOL!

Hi Sandra: :thumbsup: If anyone would give you flack they are not really willing to follow LDL as it should be and I believe constructive criticism is important in supporting someone
Funny you mention the fat free stuff I looked at ff cheese slices yesterday and put it back down it had sugar in it???  so I totally understand fat free is really processed as is sugar free ... read all the ingredients..  I would rather go without the cheese than eat that..

Thanks Sandi:)
Last edited by lulu65 on January 9th, 2010, 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
julie409
Master Member

Post by julie409 »

Smama, this should not be a surprise to anyone - bc Roger says it all the time. But as life goes on some of us may forget. SO it is good of you to shine a light on it.  :thumbsup:

I agree with you about the Food Journals, too! It would be better if there was someone monitoring them that really can say "NO, this is not a good idea!" rather than us monitoring each other. I get a little concerned when I see what people admit to adding to their food intake and then lamenting that they are not losing. When I am not losing, I know exactly what I need to do to get things moving again.

Hopefully some people will see this and realize that what Roger wrote is what we should be doing... if weight loss is our goal.

Julie :rose:
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

I understand exactly what you mean.  I think I can be very black and white and I want to follow something pretty much to a T.  When I got started, I did notice there were many who defended eating certain things I chose not to eat and often questioned those of us doing what we called "pure LDL."  I really think you can eat however you want, but if you really want to lose, nothing beats fruit only for breakfast and dinner and a big lunch of beans/bean soup/vegetables/lean meats -- in whatever combination you desire.  I stayed away from all the pies and brownies and even smoothies -- but like I said, I'm sort of black and white.  I just didn't want processed in anyway.  Now that I'm at goal, I do eat smoothies lately.  I think this helps my husband from missing ice cream too much. 

I'm surprised you didn't get any flack too!  :shock:  I think it is so easy to deceive ourselves into believing it is OK to eat something that winds up sabotaging weight loss and then we wonder, "why?"  Stay away from processed foods.  I think even when people were making pancakes with popcorn flour and stuff like that -- that is processed, isn't it?  I guess flour of anything is processed -- beans or whatever.  Whole foods are so good.  Beans are so good.  Fruits are so good.  My tastes have changed because I want to eat these great healthy, slimming foods.  The cravings no longer get in the way of eating right.

Thanks, Sicilian Mama, for opening this up.  I know people who started this way want to lose weight and maybe someone will realize that they can do LDL a more successful way than they have been.
Sicilian Mama

Post by Sicilian Mama »

Yes! Yes! Yes! and Yes!

It breaks my heart, that I send people here, and then I get a million questions as to why she can't have Miracle Whip, FF Mayo or cheese EVEN THOUGH SOME PEOPLE ARE EATING THEM...

Crick... I know... I got a lot of flack for posting once that everyone on these boards should be careful of what they post , and I just assumed that we were all doing LDL pure.  Whoa... I got so much
backlash from my post... I was beginning to think I was being labeled at "OH... thaaaaat woman..."  But I forged on... because truly... I'm losing weight for me... not for anyone else... and I needed to learn the RIGHT WAY to eat.

It makes me CRAZY... and I know it shouldn't, when I see the food journals and they are full of FF this or FF that, and cheese everywhere...BUT SOME PEOPLE NEED TO LOSE WEIGHT OR THEY WILL SURELY DIE... as we must take heed and help each other... and posting that stuff, should be in private.

I agree that it should be monitored by someone other than us... because I always sound like a badger when I comment on someone eating too much of the wrong stuff, and then I get "Well SM... we get to do this the way we all want to, and your opinion, while worthwhile, was not asked for "... blah, blah, blah...

I am going to start an LDL cooking class for my friends... MAYBE I'LL POST THEM ON YOU TUBE... so all of you can see and be part of the group!!!  How does that sound?

I need to get my ands on a webcbam...
lulu65

Post by lulu65 »

Sicilian Mama wrote:

I am going to start an LDL cooking class for my friends... MAYBE I'LL POST THEM ON YOU TUBE... so all of you can see and be part of the group!!!  How does that sound?

I need to get my ands on a webcbam...

:thumbsup:  You go girl and I want to be part of your group :thumbsup:.. the onederland group. *woot*  I have one it is a Logitech I bought it at Wally's in the US of course..lol $39 I think better than Microsoft..
Last edited by lulu65 on January 10th, 2010, 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mary J
Master Member

Post by Mary J »

Ohhh Sicilian Mama,

I was going to ask you to please make your rags soup on YouTube!  How funny that you said this!  I was thinking about this the other day after looking at your pics on FB...

That would be soooo cool.....

Mary J
Mary J
FL

Started LDL in Oct 09
RB Kayaking
Master Member

Post by RB Kayaking »

If fat free and sugar free worked I wouldn't need this sight!

Occasionaly is a tough word to define.  Once a month, every 6 months, once a year?  If I waited a whole year to eat something would I even like the taste, texture after eating LDL for a year?

I don't read the journals because of some of the foods eaten.  Makes me want to go back and try some foods that I've left behind me.  Bad, bad triggers.

I'll give you some flack.  You should have started this thread soooner!  And I mean sooooner!

RB Kayaking (not willing to chip ice in Central Florida)
2bfit

Post by 2bfit »

Mama,
  Thanks so much!  I am new - minutes old to this diet.  I have tried so many
  and just cannot seem to loose.  I have very little energy and I do love sweets.
  So I identify with the sugar addiction. 
  Your information made me realize that I really need to pay attention to what I
    read and not take for granted that everyone is at the same place that I am.

Thank you all for your hints and recipes.    As an overweight person (with a skinny husband with a fast metabolism that eats  often),  I look for recipes that will be satisfy him as well.    I use the message boards looking for those recipes and ideas
that are really good so that  we both will be happy!

I am looking forward to getting started!
                                                          Tami in NC
preachwife

Post by preachwife »

Sicilian Mama....I am so glad you had more guts then me to stay on here when people shoot you down...I was treated this way when I tried to tell how I lost all my weight on LDL and than some...One gal even questioned me if I was telling the truth by saying "So you SAY you have lost all your weight and then some"....I was shocked and hurt...So congrats on having more courage than me.... And by the way, I lost it all by eating popcorn and fruit smoothies everyday with all the other LDL foods which are on the program....Thanks again and I will be reading all your awesome posts... I know you can lose all your weight and than some like I did...

Bless You
Preachwife