Hello

The place to go if you have a question that needs answered!
Red Lion Lass

Hello

Post by Red Lion Lass »

Hello Everyone,

I've been reading the boards since last year but I haven't been able to start this way of eating and stay with it. I always give into things that I shouldn't have at lunch and dinner. Any suggestions? I really need to lose a lot of weight before my husband leaves me.

Red Lion Lass
Roadglide

Re: Hello

Post by Roadglide »

Wow, well if I were you I'd make it a goal of one week at a time.  Start with giving up all whites (rice, bread,potatoes) and eating your protein meal at lunch.  When your hungry, eat all the fruit and veggies that you want.  My sound stupid, but I like celery sticks and dip it in mustard.  Soon, you'll have a month under your belt, then 2 and you'll see tremendous changes in your body, and you'll never think your husband will leave you.
MsHeirloom
Master Member

Post by MsHeirloom »

Welcome to LDL, Lass.  Roger put it in a nutshell.  This plan works.  I had been on every diet ever marketed and did not achieve eating satisfaction and weight loss until Let's Do Lunch!  This is the place to come for support, encouragement, and information.  We are here to help you.  Pam
tprouty
Master Member

Post by tprouty »

Hi Lass.

Amen to what Roger said and Mrs. H. It will help you TREMENDOUSLY if you can plan ahead. I am not great at planning ahead for meals, but have learned that if I don't, I can easily get into trouble.

Make sure you have plenty of fresh fruit on hand, because you need to reach for that and FILL UP on it when you are tempted to eat something sweet. You CAN'T eat too much fruit. Really!

Make some of the bean soups, chilies, and other tasty bean recipes ahead and store them in the fridge and freezer. Reach for them and FILL Up when you are tempted to eat bread, chips, or other carbs. You CAN'T eat too many beans! Really!

If you are out, take fresh fruit or popcorn or salads (or all of the above) with you so you won't be tempted to pull into a fast food joint, or grab unhealthy snacks. Or when you go to work, make sure you take along more than you think you will need so you can be satisfied and FULL so you won't start grazing when you get home.

It works! It's just kind of scary for most of us, at first, to think about eating ALL that food when we're supposed to be on a weight loss "diet." This isn't a diet! Eat! It works!

Best of luck on the journey
Terri
MsHeirloom
Master Member

Post by MsHeirloom »

Terri- Great post!  Pam
Red Lion Lass

Post by Red Lion Lass »

Thank you for all your suggestions.

My husband doesn't feel that a meal is complete unless we have potatoes and home made bread. I don't work because I'm a stay at home mom and there's always food in the house to tempt me. I know it works because I've read the boards and have seen everyone losing weight. I just have a problem sticking with it while everyone else is eating what I fixed for dinner.

Thanks again,

Red Lion Lass
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

Red Lion Lass wrote: I just have a problem sticking with it while everyone else is eating what I fixed for dinner.

when i first went on let's do lunch 4 years ago, i had both my children and my grandson living with me...i had all kinds of stuff in the house..........what i suggest is that you ask for your family's cooperation for the first week.........have loads of let's do lunch friendly foods in the fridge and ask them to curtail their needs for a week....once you've been on let's do lunch for a week, you'll be fine...
life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain..
Red Lion Lass

Post by Red Lion Lass »

Niki, I appreciate your suggestion but my husband would never conform to such a thing. He's a very strong willed man and feels that my weight problem is my problem.

Red Lion Lass
Last edited by Red Lion Lass on January 15th, 2010, 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

Red Lion Lass wrote:Niki, I appreciate your suggestion but my husband would never comform to such a thing. He's a very strong willed man and feels that my weight problem is my problem.
Red Lion Lass

well, the truth of the matter is that when i first started let's do lunch, i had ALL that stuff in the house......but, i was determined to make it work.....the trick is to have all the stuff that's allowable available so that you can eat all you want.......so, you can still accomplish your purpose without your husband's help or support....................
although, i didn't have elaborate meals to prepare for anyone...THAT you DO have some control over....prepare meals that don't tempt you as much in the first week and after that it won't make that much difference....
it's up to you..............
life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain..
MsHeirloom
Master Member

Post by MsHeirloom »

Dear Red- Let him stay strong willed and do this in spite of him.  After all, we are only accountable to ourselves for what and when we choose to eat.  Your journey will be more complicated, but certainly not impossible.  Overcoming the obstacles that you must will only make the victory that much sweeter.  We're all here to offer you support, enthusiasm, empathy, and information.  Pam
VickiLynn
Master Member

Post by VickiLynn »

Red Lion Lass wrote: I just have a problem sticking with it while everyone else is eating what I fixed for dinner.

Lass,

Assuming you have your heavy protein meal with your husband at supper time, look at the Main Dishes recipes and make one that you think your husband would like (think cooking healthy for him) and don't tell him it is an LDL recipe.  If he needs potatoes every night, cut down on the amount you normally make and then have him take as much as he wants first, pass to other family members, and if there are potatoes left over you have made too many.  If it's a baked potato, don't make one for yourself -- bake a squash too and you eat this in place of the potato. 

As for bread, that's a hard one, especially since you make homemade.  Our own Sicilian Mama bakes tons of bread every day and never eats a bite of it.  I'm pretty sure she would welcome an email from you on how she overcame the craving for bread.

P.S.  There a quite a few LDL members who have husbands that are not supportive and they have managed to consistently lose weight -- you just need to put your husband's needs second to yours -- you are not being selfish, just taking care of YOU *hug*
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

Hi Tori,

I'm glad you finally decided to post the problem that you've been dealing with on the boards. I told you that everyone here would stand by you and help you. You just need to remember what I told you. You need to start making LDL approved meals for dinner and throw that blasted bread maker in the garbage... :laughing: If he wants home bread then he can make it. You don't have to eat your main meal for lunch in the beginning. You can switch to dinner until he realizes that you're determined to do this. There are so many recipes on the boards that are very tasty even for someone who isn't doing LDL. Then maybe after he sees how much weight you've lost he'll be more willing to support you and not make fun of you while you're eating your fruit for dinner. Or, I can always send my husband over to kick some ****. :laughing: You know how he feels about this way of eating even though he's not on LDL and I'm sure he wouldn't mind letting your husband know how he feels when it comes to being supportive. We both love you very much and know you can do it.

Victoria
MsHeirloom
Master Member

Post by MsHeirloom »

Sounds like Tori has a very supportive friend.  Now, I'm even more convinced that she can do this without her husband's support.  Good job CQ  (Victoria, huh?).  Pam
jjelli

Post by jjelli »

Hi tory.
Codington's husband could probably start a business on helping  turn  husbands heads....to let them see how hurtful they are even though they think they are being supportive....telling ya like it is. 
You'd be surprised how many "bad mouthers" are out there.    And its had to feel good when you feel  they put you down.  But hang in there and tell yourself  THIS IS FOR ME  THIS IS FOR ME  THIS IS FOR ME  not him.  good luck  jj
KathyPrulhiere

Post by KathyPrulhiere »

Welcome Lass,
I have a husband who has a very fast metabolism and eats everything in sight and never gains an ounce. I tried to keep up with him a few times over the years and the weight just piled on! No matter that I was getting a lot of exercise, I just had to realize it didn't work for my body.

There are all kinds of snacks and candy and nuts and ice cream in my house. If I take one bite I know my eating program is headed for disaster. I've stayed on LDL for the past 2 months, lost about 10 pounds, and eat all I want of foods I really love. So there are HIS foods and OUR foods in the house. He eats his food, some of my food and stays slim. I just eat my food. If I'm tempted, I just go peal an orange, or pop some corn. You get the idea.

I make my own very healthy whole wheat bread, but haven't eaten it in over two months. It isn't my food. I don't want you to think I've got more will power than the average person, I don't think I do. I just made up my mind that my body is different than my husband's and I have to do what is good for me.

Pick any food you really like that is LDL friendly (for example: frozen grapes) and have that when you are serving ice cream (or whatever) to the rest of the table.

I know you can do this. And I agree with the others. Do it for you.

Blessings,
Kathy
Red Lion Lass

Post by Red Lion Lass »

Hello Victoria and thank you Niki, Pam, VickiLynn, jj and Kathy for all your suggestions. They are greatly appreciated.

Victoria, I don't think it will be necessary for you to send Bruno over to talk to James. I made your Vegetarian Black Bean Soup yesterday but I pureed the whole batch and used part of it to make a gravy for the venison roast you gave us in the crock pot. James loved it. I did make mashed potatoes and bread but I didn't have any. I tried to fill up on the other vegetables I made. I've always loved corn on the cob but couldn't have as much as I wanted because the other diets didn't allow it. This is "sweet."

Thanks again for allowing me to borrow your book.

Tori
MsHeirloom
Master Member

Post by MsHeirloom »

Red- You're doing well (and so is your husband).  You will find hundreds of recipes here that are healthy for the entire family.  You'll all benefit from the healthy, whole, real foods as opposed to fake, convenience, manufactured junk.  Pam
donnanet
New, but learning

Post by donnanet »

We are here for you, ditto to what Roger Troy says. Keep coming back for support, we'll be here!  God bless
Red Lion Lass

Post by Red Lion Lass »

Thanks everyone! I really mean it. Until Victoria told me about Let's Do Lunch I was at my wits end. I've tried everything. Nutrisystem, Jenny Craig, Weight Watchers, Atkins, South Beach, etc. I lost weight but after awhile I would stall and start gaining it all back and then some.

Red Lion Lass
Last edited by Red Lion Lass on January 19th, 2010, 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.