THE BEST POPCORN EVER!

Wonderful fruit dishes as well as other LDL approved treats!
Cheryl

THE BEST POPCORN EVER!

Post by Cheryl »

As promised... the best popcorn to be had...
black jewel popcorn (www.blackjewel.com)
It pops white, hulless with a black center, and a slightly nutty taste.
Mmmm...
ENJOY!!!
Last edited by Anonymous on March 2nd, 2006, 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
DEBBIEWEBE

Re: THE BEST POPCORN EVER!

Post by DEBBIEWEBE »

Rodger....how was this popcorn?
imkay

Post by imkay »

i tried it and for the cost i didn't think it was that good.  and even though i got the approprate kind, i thought it was greasy.  but it was the whitest popcorn i have ever seen!
it's nice to be important but it's more important to be nice
keeneco

Post by keeneco »

Tomorrow is gonna be my first day with LDL  I am so excited! Speaking of popcorn? Can I have popped sorghum?  it is much better than popcorn, as it has a rich corn flavor and the small kernels are so tender. Please let me know if it is allowed. Thanks
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Sorghum pops? Where did you get it?
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

I  also want to know.  :D  JF
bludaffodil

Post by bludaffodil »

I have never heard of popped sorghum either, so I googled it and read about it here:

http://www.popghum.com/?gclid=CMjlgrKhq ... swodxneb5A

Sounds interesting......hope the food police check it out for us and let us know
what they think.    :)

Kathy
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Hummmmm, interesting. Looks LDL friendly, the test will be that if it is sweeter, will it incite cravings?? That will be the determining factor along with whether it will stall or increase weight.

Here is some of the info from the web site:

Sorghum is the fifth most produced cereal grain in the world behind corn, rice, wheat and barley, and before grains like oats and rye. It's related to corn, but it has fewer calories, less fat and does not contain the corn allergen zein.*

Like corn, sorghum is used to make all kinds of products, from flour for pancakes to the syrup that goes on them. People who have trouble eating corn love sorghum, as well as people with Celiac Disease,because it's gluten-free and extremely versatile.

Just like corn, sorghum pops when you heat it. Popped sorghum looks and tastes just like mini popcorn, only it’s slightly sweeter and has a better crunch. It’s high in fiber, protein and iron, and unlike popcorn, it has no hulls to stick in your gums!

* PLEASE NOTE: Popghum contains spices and ingredients from other manufacturers. While these ingredients are certified organic, we cannot currently be certain that they are safe for those allergic to corn. We are in the process of testing these items to determine if they include allergens. If they do, we will switch to ingredients that do not include such allergens. In the meantime, if you are allergic to corn, please consult your physician before eating Popghum or any product containing sorghum.
Last edited by LINDA RN on August 8th, 2010, 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

jsprik
Master Member

Post by jsprik »

we didn't care for the black jewel, but our local meijer carries crimson jewel (it's red) and it is AWESOME!!! we love it! the black was just weird!! hubby thought it tasted musty and said it was like eating popcorn off the floor...i just didn't care for it at all... :sick:

Phil. 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

look me up on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/JoannaReneeSprik
my blog: http://foodgurly.com
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

I like the Kroger brand.  For the money, it's great.  :thumbsup: JF
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

I'm getting the non GMO popcorn, instead of the cheaper kind from the regular grocery store.  I'm concerned about GMOs and the effects of them on humans -- or animals for that matter.  I find it tastes much better than the GMO kind and so does my husband.  He said it tasted more buttery -- without putting butter on it.  There are many types -- the last one I tasted was the kind that pops large and is used to make caramel corn.  It was really good.  I got the rainbow, the white, the medium yellow, the purple and then the one that pops large.  There are other kinds -- red and others.

The kind I got was from Amish Country Popcorn.  There are probably others who sell non GMO popcorn, though.  I think it is something to consider, if you eat a lot of popcorn.
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

I love the Gold Mine Popcorn I have been getting, but it is made by Jolly Time and may be GM.
Tried the Amish County. Got a set of 3 defferent kinds and really did not like them much. Very small kernels. Now the one you describe as lage kernel may be worth trying. I think they have organic popcorn in bulk from the Health Food Center. May try their's first.
Linda

crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

Actually, this was the first one that caught my eye, when I googled non GMO popcorn and I just got it.  I didn't do a lot of searching.  I'm sure there are many other places, but I just think it is important to look into a better quality food, if you eat a lot of popcorn.  What I've read about GMOs is scary.
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

I agree and wish they would indicate that the canned and frozen corn is GMO if it is. Need to do more shopping at the Health Food store I guess. Thank God for LDL and the fact that we don't eat as much now. I have to be careful not to overdo the fresh produce and I have had to feed alot of it out. The one thing I cannot keep stocked is Chick Peas. It is DH's new favorite. He eats them in place of crackers....says they satisfy like crackers. Guess when cooler weather hits we need to cook the dry ones. Hope they aren't GMO.
Linda