contest!!!

The place to go if you have a question that needs answered!
jjelli

contest!!!

Post by jjelli »

Hi Everyone,  My community hospital is having a 12 week weight loss program. The winners will be determined by the biggest % of weight loss.  First prize is $1000, forgot what 2nd is and 3rd is a Wii fit.  It starts on Feb 3rd.  I'm thinking about signing up. 
Would anyone like to help me plan food???  I'll be thinking about exercise to.  Here's the stats:  180#'s and 59 years old,  I've already lost 30 since the end of July. Couch potato.    :yawn:   
I'm getting excited.    :thumbsup:    jj
KathyPrulhiere

Re: contest!!!

Post by KathyPrulhiere »

JJ

Of course!!! Do it. What do you have to lose? :laughing:

If you haven't been exercising you will be amazed how much better you will feel and you will probably lose faster, too.  Just remember, couch potatoes must start slow and increase slowly. Otherwise you may be too miserable to continue.

Also, my advice is: whatever you think is a weight-staller (For you. Like some people say popcorn slows them down. Bananas may be suspect, too) don't eat it for the next 12 weeks. Don't eat too late at night. Watch the fats very closely.

Hope you win. I'll be cheering you on. You can buy a lot of nice clothes with $1,000.

Blessings,

Kathy
bingo

Post by bingo »

HI JJ,, THAT SOUNDS LIKE A FUN WAY TO LOSE,,,YOU JUST RECIEVED SOME  VERY GOOD ADVICE,,,,"START SLOWLY" OR YOU WILL DEFINITELY BE BACK ON YOUR COUCH,,,,IN PAIN !!BEEN THERE DONE THAT !!!!!I WILL BE CHEERING YOU ON ALONG THE WAY !,,,,,,YOU CAN DO IT !!!!!! :thumbsup: ENJOY THE JOURNEY !!!BINGO
KathyPrulhiere

Post by KathyPrulhiere »

JJ,
I just re-read your time-frame. You have time, if you start now, to gear up for your new exercises program.

Start by walking at least 20 minutes. If possible do it twice a day. Do some small amounts of floor work and weight training. Use canned veggie cans instead of weights to start with. You will be amazed at how little you can do the first few times but as you can increase time and weights you will also be amazed at how fast you start feeling energized and can do more.

Go girl.

Kathy
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

JJ -- This is so exciting!  I hope you win.
jjelli

Post by jjelli »

Thanks!!!!! Everyone.      Now I'm gonna try and be sure to win.....even if it's the Wii  jj
I guess if I loose some before then its an o-well. 
KathyPrulhiere

Post by KathyPrulhiere »

JJ,
No, its a win-win. *love*

Kathy
jjelli

Post by jjelli »

*love*  ty
julie409
Master Member

Post by julie409 »

Hi JJ,

I think this is an awesome idea!  Exercise will always make a difference. I have had some advice from Body builders and they all say that the only way to get really lean is to cut out the sugar and the fats. One also told me that until he started working out in the morning, he couldn't get rid of his love handles. Working out in the am will definitely set up your metabolism to burn all day.  BTW, most people t hink that they need to exercise for long periods of time for it to be effective but that is not true. Even 10 minutes at a time is effective. And if you can do this a few times a day, even better.

As for the food, do you like fish?  If you can substitute fish a few times a week as your protein, that would be good. Tilapia and shrimp are very mild filling and low cal. Also if you can manage the Fruit flush once a week will also keep things moving.
For me, the closer things are to their natural state the better. Like if I lightly grill the veggies, I do better than if they are in a soup. 

What else do you need, sweetie?  We are here to help. Start visualizing how you will spend that money and go claim it as yours. We will all be celebrating with you!

Julie :rose:
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

Hey, where did I leave my pom poms?

Guys, we need to start a cheerleading squad for jjelli.

jjelli, I would give you some advice but everyone has pretty much summed it up but I would like to reiterate what Julie said...10 minutes of exercise throughout the day does make a difference. :thumbsup:

CQ
rodie

Post by rodie »

JJ,
Go for it! I also did a work challenge awhile ago.It wasn't that big but there were 10 of us that threw in $20 and did it for 2 months.At the end I had lost the most % of weight,so it was fun AND I won $200.00.What can be better then that?
Hugzzz
Rodie :thumbsup:
jjelli

Post by jjelli »

Hi!  Was gone over the weekend.  I have this plan started in my head

Breakfast:  Grapefruit,  also smoothie (1/2 banana, blueberries, grapes & 1 c apple juice, ice)  cup or two of coffee
exercise    water
Lunch:  fish mainly,  lean pork or beef, chicken breasts.  veg probably corn and black beans
Snack:  possibly orange , cutie or more grapefruit
try more exercise    drink more water
Supper:  same smoothie and grapefruit.  (I bought 30#'s of them)
try some walking

I've been having popcorn before bed. popped in coconut oil.  Maybe I'll have that if hungary strikes

The fish I have is walleye and bass that we catch ourselves.  or some smoked salmon.  I don't have a recipt to cook the fish except dip in egg, roll in seasoned cracker crumbs and fry in very hot oil.  I'm gonna try dipping in seasoned egg and fry in hot co.  That way I'll be getting the oil.  do you think this  would be ok?  Thanks everyone, you are so great  jj
KathyPrulhiere

Post by KathyPrulhiere »

Hi Jj,

I spray fish (whole or filets) with olive oil (both sides and generously) and grill with no coatings. I'm not a fish fan, but my husband likes it that way.

I like your exercise plan. Can't wait till the contest starts!!

Kathy
jjelli

Post by jjelli »

Can't wait to start  only a few days left before sign in....jj
julie409
Master Member

Post by julie409 »

JJ, I'm with Kathie,

I just spray the pan with EVOO spray and then saute lightly with seasonings of choice. I find that thyme works well. Or some red pepper flakes if I am looking for a kick, Basil and oregano if I want it more Italian. You can try different things for different flavors. I also use lemon on fish a lot. I usually eat tilapia or cod or shrimp - more light fish.

Julie :rose:
jjelli

Post by jjelli »

Thanks!!!! Great Idea  jj
jjelli

Post by jjelli »

Hi Everyone,
Today is the official start day for me....in order to sign up today, I would have to drive 26 miles, so will wait til tomorrow to officially weight in  here in town. (bummer)  
B:  grapefruit, 1/2 banana & large orange   coffee    

now to do exercises......yea   (trying to get off the couch)
Was in the shower and bowling team needed me.   Bowled 3 games.
Lunch was  the red book stew (big bowl),  grapefruit.
snack    large orange
supper:  fruit smoothie,  apple juice, strawberry, grapes, banana, blueberries & a dot of steiva
jj
Last edited by jjelli on February 3rd, 2010, 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KathyPrulhiere

Post by KathyPrulhiere »

JJ,

You go girl!!

Kathy
jjelli

Post by jjelli »

Thanks Kathy.  I'll need all the help I can get....jj
jjelli

Post by jjelli »

Hi,   Official weigh in tonight....185.8   :'(  I like my weigh in better this am  175/76.
The dietition spoke on counting carbs for over an hour.  and the pt talked on exercise about half an hour.  There was a hugh crowd there and the tempature is around freezing with it raining.... they were sure getting restless.  We sat and watched a lot of people weigh.  It was amazing..... one man weighed with his heavy boots on  (unbelievable)   and another girl wore a hugh extra sweater.   Bet they don't even finish.  anyway back to me.
couldn't believe there was such a difference in my weight.  We can go weigh in once a week and they are offering an exercise class...good deal.  I think I'll start posting my food in the food section.   today I ate... B:  grapefruit, banana
L:  hamberger with black bean soup,   Snack:  2 oranges.  S:  small hamberger & frozen grapes.  
My work is cut out for me. but I'm gonna follow LDL,  not the carb counting will be interesting to see results.    jj

and this am I was at 177    go figure
Last edited by jjelli on February 5th, 2010, 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.