Let's Do Lunch Class at my church

Feel free to talk about anything and everything re Let’s Do Lunch™.
crickadoodle
Master Member

Let's Do Lunch Class at my church

Post by crickadoodle »

I'll be teaching a six week class on how to lose weight with Let's Do Lunch.  My church has a time twice a year where instead of the regular Wednesday night Bible study, our pastor opens it up to people in the church to teach on various things.  Our pastor usually teaches a class for new members on what we basically believe and just foundational things of Christianity.  That's always the largest class and is held in the sanctuary.  Then other people teacher smaller classes in some of the classrooms.  Well, I've learned so much during the past 7 months about eating this way and have experienced such success that I want to share it with whoever wants to hear about it. 

What is really good is that I am at such a good weight now that people just stop me and ask what I'm doing.  I'm able to tell them I'll be teaching a class on it in a few weeks if they are interested.  (This morning I weighed 128 lbs.!  I am so amazed how easy this journey has been.)  I expect to have a pretty large group.  I'm going to be preparing the lessons over the next 2 weeks, so I'll be ready.  I'm sure I'll come to the boards often for wisdom, advice and lots of input from all of you.  CQ, I'm going to especially pick your brain!  I have a feeling I'll be doing this class again and again, as people experience success and others see the results.

Please give me some input now on what major topics I should cover.  I was thinking that for the first class I'm going to share my story about how I found LDL and where it took me and what I experienced along the way.  I'm also going to cover the basic plan, so they can get started right away.  I'm going to encourage everyone to buy and read the book, of course. I'm going to use the clip on Roger on the 700 Club in that first class too.  I'm not really computer saavy, but I know I can get help for this.  The classrooms all have TVs with DVRs and when I used to teach 4th grade at the school, I did have a computer with a cable that I could hook up to the TV and show the kids power point reviews I'd put together.

I'm thinking I want to collect local restaurant menus to have one class on making wise choices when eating out.  I want to have time in each class for questions, sharing successes and struggles, and time for encouragement.

I think we could end the class with a Let's Do Lunch potluck lunch one weekend.  That would give everyone the opportunity to sample various LDL dishes. 

Please share your thoughts with me.
Last edited by crickadoodle on February 1st, 2010, 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RB Kayaking
Master Member

Re: Let's Do Lunch Class at my church

Post by RB Kayaking »

Way to go Cricketdoodle,

Visiuals and tasting are always good.  When you show people how much you actually eat instead of just saying how much it makes an impact.  Also tasting --smoothies, soups.

Have one meeting on the cost of eating healthy.  We always hear how everyone thinks this way of eating is too expensive and we all know its not.  Having the actual cost of items found in your area would be great.

Have fun with the class and keep us posted on your progress.

RB Kayaking
redkat

Post by redkat »

Crick,

I think it's wonderful that you have the opportunity to share LDL with others in this way.  The success you have had will be such a testimony to what can be acheived by eating such healthy and delicious foods, and never be hungry or crave unhealthy things that we all thought were "diet" foods before.  Great job, and good luck.  Keep us posted on the progress of your group/s.
Kathy
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

RB -- great suggestion!  I was thinking I could bring something for them to eat for each class.  I know I want to make a big pot of Niki's favorite bean soup.  I make it every week -- some finishing up today on the stove!  When you taste how good everything is, it is unbelievable how you can lose weight on it.  I am living proof, though.

Kathy -- isn't it a great opportunity?  Thanks!  We need to get together soon!
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

This got buried, so I'm posting to bring it up to the top.  I'd really like input on this.  Tell me some of your secrets to success with LDL.  Things I can share with those in the class.
tonz2day

Post by tonz2day »

I like the idea of using the restaurant menus and telling them how they can change items to LDL woe.

Also, would it be possible to have them meet you at a grocery store one of the meetings?  You could show them that most of what they need are on the outside lines, look at the can goods to show them what not to eat because they have high frutose corn syrup & other stuff.  Would be a fun outing.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/weAJS0m/]
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Do make notes and develop a lesson plan. No need to reinvent the wheel for those others who may want to do this. Also a class on the difference in whole foods and processed. Some of CQ's info would be good handouts. Check out Jordan Rubin's book, The Maker's Diet (this is the one that got us started on the road to healthy eating before LDL). Also Don Colbert is teaching the same thing and he may have some other info on essential nutrients found in foods.
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
VickiLynn
Master Member

Post by VickiLynn »

tonz2day wrote:Also, would it be possible to have them meet you at a grocery store one of the meetings?  

Tonz suggestion is a really good one but if you aren't able to get out to a grocery store I suggest bringing in some cans/boxes/packages of foods to show your class how to read labels. Or, if you do bring something for them to eat for each class, bring in the items used in what you made and show them how to read the label and why you chose what you did to make it -- kind of like show and tell!
Last edited by VickiLynn on February 2nd, 2010, 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

Great ideas!  Thanks! 

They put up the sign up sheets for the classes at church.  They changed the date to Sunday night, but I'm still going to do it.  Wednesday would have been better and I'll probably end up having to get a sitter for Mom, but that's OK.  Well, when I checked the sign up sheet for my class after church, it was almost full!  I'm thinking they might have to add a sheet to it or maybe I could do another class on Wednesday.  While I'm preparing for one class, it wouldn't be any more trouble for two.  I know the pastor is teaching his foundation class on Wed., because he already preaches 3 times on the weekend and it would be too much for him.  I know that some people might be able to do Wed. better than Sunday night for my class, so I'm going to offer doing that. 

A man and his wife in their 70s came over to our house yesterday to talk about LDL.  They will be taking the class, but wanted some info to get started, until their book comes in.  I made up a sheet of the basics for them to follow and gave them a copy of the recipes for Niki's Favorite Bean Soup and Curried Chickpea Soup. I'm just excited to be able to help people get healthier with eating this way and losing weight.
tonz2day

Post by tonz2day »

How exciting that you are spreading the news.  You'll do great and your church is blessed to have you to do it.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/weAJS0m/]
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

I talked to my pastor about doing two classes instead of one and he said that would be fine.  His wife is even going to be in the class, so I know I get to bless my pastor back for the blessing he has been to me in my life.  (He walked me down the aisle when I married 7 years ago.)  So, I'll prepare my lessons and get to use them twice a week.  I'm hoping after I do this that maybe I'll get other opportunities to share the LDL message with others who'd like to hear about it. 
julie409
Master Member

Post by julie409 »

Doodlebug!  This is outstanding!  :thumbsup: 

I know you will be able to influence a lot of people with your enthusiasm and knowledge and of course with LDL, the proof is in the doing.

Please keep up posted on how it is going!

Julie :rose:
hopefull

Post by hopefull »

Crick, I love your idea. Know this will be great. I have had thoughts about teaching a class in my area. I am in Nebraska just minutes away from the Kansas border. I have also been thinking about an LDL Workbook. Had thought to ask RT what he thought about that.
Anyway, I think you have some great ideas already and this will go over very well. Please continue to share how it is going. I think for the younger set the cost of things will be important and the recipe section of the msg boards has some great suggestions as well as I am sure you have.
The best to you!
Bobbi
hopefull

Post by hopefull »

Oh just wanted to add how very, very excited that you are doing this!!!!! You go girl!
julie409
Master Member

Post by julie409 »

Hi Doodlebug, *hug*

I think another class can focus on the cost of doing LDL vs buying processed foods and snacks. I believe that it is much costlier to eat a bag of chips $1.99 and up vs a huge fuji apple at around 50 - 75 cents depending on the size (they are 99 cents a lb in my market and I can't finish it in one sitting). I usually have just an apple for breakfast so that 75 cents takes the place of a meal. And also remind them that their appetite will diminish over time. 

Beans are a great source of protein and there are so many varieties that you simply must be able to find some that you like. ;)  I'll admit that it took me a while bc I had never eaten them before but now they are the largest part of my plan.  :thumbsup:  They keep me so full that I have to remind myself to eat.  Buying beans in bulk 50 lb bags as some of our members do will make it even less costly than buying meat - not to mention the side dishes that we usually prepare to go along with it. ( I wholeheartedly agree with RB on this!)  Not to mentin the cost of being unhealthy - meds, dr visits, surgery etc  :shock:  )  Sharing some of the medical success stories from our members would drive this point home.

Water takes the place of bottled sugar laden drinks not to mention that each can of soda has a whopping 8 teaspoons of sugar in it. Having a visual of 8 teaspoons of sugar alone in a glass will really drive the point home.  You can also have members pick up and carry around a 20 lb bag of anything around for a few minutes and then drive the point home that they are carrying around 2, 3,  or more bags like this all day every day on their body. I really believe that visual aides are the most impactful.

I KNOW that teaching a class on LDL will invariably be a class in nutrition so you will have a lot of work to do. If possible, you could make things easier if you can ask your members to submit their questions to you in email before the class, this way you can research the answers and not get side tracked. Of course the strictly - how to do LDL - questions will be easy for you.  :cool:

You also know first hand - the benefits of exercise in building up your muscle and increasing your metabolism. You could show how much you would have to walk to balance out a small piece of cake; A person of 150 lbs burn about 178 calories when walking 2 miles in an hour so they would have to walk more than 2 hours to burn off a 400 calorie dessert - not to mention the ill effects of the bleached flour, sugar, additives etc etc etc  :stop:  Is it worth it?

If there is a chef in town that would like to speak to your group perhaps they could give some tips on making soups or veggie dishes and how to combine different spices to maximize flavors. They could explore how to turn a chicken dish from Italian to Mexican just by changing the spices.  You could also have people bring in their favorite recipes and see how they can be changed into LDL friendly recipes.

I have some other things that may be useful. Please send me your personal email address and I will share them with you there if that is OK. I wish I was closer to you so that I could help you but I KNOW you will be fabulous!

To get started, you could follow the outline of the book. That will also insure that you cover all the fine points that Roger painstakingly laid out for us. IF there is a Barnes & Noble in your area, maybe you can arrange for a group discount so that each member of your class can afford to purchase the book.

Julie :rose:  PS. Sorry I didn't respond sooner - one of those things where I had a lot to say so wanted to wait until I had the time. Glad you brought it back up.
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

So many helpful ideas!  I'm thinking there will be many others doing what I am doing.  All of you would be great ambassadors of LDL!  I love the suggestion of giving them my email address so they can submit questions before the class.  That will be a big help.  Also, some of the people taking the class have experiences and ideas to share with everyone, I am certain.  I'll learn as much as the others.

Oh, Julie, I did a bit of study on ghreline and leptin -- need to study more -- but these two hormones are so much a part of weight loss.  Ghreline produces hunger and leptin produces satiety.  HFCS (high fructose corn syrup) somehow bypasses the ghreline so that you are still hungrt no matter how many calories of it you consume.  Leptin is increased from exercise.  I was on the Dr. Mercola site and saw a video on HFCS and all this and the man on the video was saying that you don't exercise to burn calories, because that would take forever for you to lose weight.  Exercise increases the amount of leptin in your body, which makes you not feel the need to eat so much.  I am so understanding why LDL works and why exercise is good and plan to continue with both as long as I live. 
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

Well, I'm back from the first class.  There were 22 ladies in the class and the pastor in charge of the Sun. night classes said it was the biggest class.  I think it went well.  People were very open to the LDL way of eating.  I collected everyone's email addresses, so I could send them a few links -- like the one of Roger Troy on the 700 Club.  I couldn't figure out how to show it in class, but then I thought they could look at it at home whenever they had the time.  They want me to send Niki"s favorite bean soup recipe -- I make it weekly!  They all have my email address, in case they have any questions.  In the beginning, I think we all had lots of questions and needed reassuring that we really could eat until full.  That's a difficult concept.

I will have new people on Wed. night, but will cover the same info.  I saw that class list and there are close to 20 in that class.  So it will be so wonderful if I can share this with everyone and they can benefit too.  It was so easy for me and I was so defeated before I found out about LDL.  I still can't believe it is true sometimes.

Thank you for all of your input.  I'm sure some of my class will be dropping into the website.  I gave them information about it.
TERLYN

Post by TERLYN »

I loved our new class tonight, enjoyed it very much,very informative, and so glad I didn't miss the class as expected.  We stop at Walmart on our way home so I could buy my foods to get started tonight.  :)  I even found the facebook page for Let's Do Lunch

http://www.facebook.com/search/?q=lets+ ... 445?ref=ss

And printed out several recipes from different sources tonight, and can't wait to try them.

I'm looking forward to next week and learning more about "LET'S DO LUNCH".

Terlyn
The LORD bless thee, and keep thee:The LORD make his face shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee: The LORD lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace. Numbers 6:24-26
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Welcome TerLyn,
You will love the changes this Way of Eating make in you. Come back to the boards often for info, recipes and support. And when you start becoming creative, be sure to post your own recipes.
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
TERLYN

Post by TERLYN »

Thank you LINDA RN for the warm welcome. I look forward to learning more about LDL and meeting other in the community.

LENTIL CROCK POT RECIPE

1 bag green lentils

4-6 cups water

1 can Rotel (diced tomatoes & green chilies)

1 large onion (softball size, coarsely chopped )

1/4 cup minced garlic

1 cup celery diced

2 cups frozen carrot slices

Salt Free Mrs Dash season blend

Add Lentil and water to crock pot, set on high heat for about one hour. In a separate skillet, add coarsely chopped onion, garlic and diced celery, saute until onions and celery start to soften then add to Lentils. Add frozen carrot slices. Season with Salt free Mrs Dash seasoning blend to your taste. Then simmer for half an hour more, then serve. ENJOY! :thumbsup:
The LORD bless thee, and keep thee:The LORD make his face shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee: The LORD lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace. Numbers 6:24-26