What new recipes have you tried this week?

Feel free to talk about anything and everything re Let’s Do Lunch™.
Mary J
Master Member

What new recipes have you tried this week?

Post by Mary J »

Hi guys!

Thought this would be a fun thread to see what everyone is making... my new recipe I tried this week was Southwestern Shepherds Pie,,,, I give it  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup: hubby and I both enjoyed it.. I will make it again!

I also tried a new flavor of ice cream this morning.... frozen banana's and pineapple!  I also added some polaners all fruit on top,,,, YUMMM!

Mary J
Mary J
FL

Started LDL in Oct 09
Mary J
Master Member

Re: What new recipes have you tried this week?

Post by Mary J »

Thank you Roger! 

Mary J
Mary J
FL

Started LDL in Oct 09
dinker

Post by dinker »

Thanks for the info.  I must admit I probably used too much just fruit.  I think I'll try to grind some fruit and make my own spread.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wVNzKsO/]
Image"Nobody gets to live life backward. Look ahead, that is where your future lies."
julie409
Master Member

Post by julie409 »

HI Mary J,

This week, I made a new tomato based soup with 2 kinds of beans, pinto and white. For lunch I threw in some broiled tilapia - eating it now - and it tastes like a fish stew.
I also made jicama stick fries -  most yummy! :drool:

Great idea for a thread - thanks!

Julie :rose:
LittlePrincess
Master Member

Post by LittlePrincess »

Okay I haven't made it yet but I want too....does that count?  :laughing:

Julie got me to thinking....talking about the jicama fries.....wouldn't it be good to roast butternut squash, jicama and some pepers in the oven with some OO and rosemary? 

Fit, Happy and Healthy LP
All you will ever be is you.  Learn to love it.

Post by LittlePrincess »

Little Mary  :laughing:  ((((((((Hugs))))))  I sure do wish I could!  I bet your cooking is FABULOUS!!! 

I haven't even thought of infusing my olive oil.  That's a great idea!  I'll give that a try too.  Thanks!  :)

Fit, Happy and Healthy LP
All you will ever be is you.  Learn to love it.

Post by Carolina Girl »

Today I tried the unstuffed cabbage and DH and I both loved it. My DIL came over and had some too. She really enjoyed it as well! Thanks to the one who formulated this. Yummo!!!
malmq

Post by malmq »

I just made Mary's Mushroom Soup but added clams to it.....    I also creamed some northern beans as a thickener and used the clam broth w/ the corn starch.
It was so yummy esp. as I watch the snow falling outside my window :-)
godstemple

Post by godstemple »

I just had a good meal... I had two turkey burgers and grilled vegetables. 

Burgers (ground turkey, mustard, barbecue sauce, northern beans, 1 egg) cooked in the oven.  It looked like the burgers was not going to hold together, but surprising they did. 

grilled vegetables (red pepper, green pepperr, red onion) put in the oven with olive oil on the top

I ate the burgers with ketchup, mustard and pickles

This dish was so good. I will eat this for lunch tomorrow, since I will be snowed in.  We are expecting 15 to 25 inches... 
VickiLynn
Master Member

Post by VickiLynn »

Spicy Tomato Soup (recipe in soup section) -- had it for breakfast!
julie409
Master Member

Post by julie409 »

Hey LP,  *hug*  I like where you are going with it. I really didn't like the Jicama cold but now that I figured out that I like them cooked, I am betting I will find new ways to use them every week. Let us know how your experiment comes out. I forget who mentioned making a kinda hash brown with them! Your recipe with the squash would make for a really sweet hash brown, I'll bet!  :thumbsup:

Hi Mary, I am with you on the infused OO. I used to buy bottles of it premade but then I had a DUH moment and realized I could make my own and it would cost a lot less.

HI Godstemple, I bought a pound of ground turkey and made some slider size patties (I was torn between making meatballs or burgers so this seemed like a good compromise). I added an egg and a little chick pea flour to help them stick together and seasonings, then sauteed in a little OO.  They are yummy alone esp with a little squeeze of lemon. And I also add them to the soup I mentioned previously. Boy is that filling!  :drool:  BTW, it is very economical as well for those looking for low cost recipes.

Mary J,  I forgot to mention this before, but since I have a reaction to vinegar I was looking for a vinaigrette that wasn't actually vinegar based (an oxymoron!) and I found a recipe for a Citrus vinaigrette that used fresh lemon and Orange juice and lemon and orange zest added to the EVOO and seasonings. Then you use the orange slices to garnish the salad greens (I used a spring mix and boy was that good! (Little Mary, I actually served this in a frico (parmesan) cup for company and it was heaven. :angel:  You would have been proud of me - my first frico cup!)

Julie  :rose:
patsyfay
Master Member

Post by patsyfay »

I made a big bowl of pumpkin mousse this morning based on a recipe of Ina Garten's.  Her's was full of sugar and fat...mine wasn't.  It was really good...company dessert good!

Pat
We are not human beings having a spiritual experience; we are spiritual beings having a human experience.

LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Bought a Flavor Wav turbo oven and decided to try grilling some Eggplant slices in it. Not sure if maybe I did not use enough EVOO or not enough salt or maybe undercooked them. They were pretty much tasteless. The only way I had ever eaten them was breaded and fried then baked as Eggplant Parmesan (layered like lasagna with spaghetti sauce). I am sure grilling them like this would make them healthier with the sauce, but I was hoping to make a tasty snack out of them since I did not have any sauce handy. Looked on Sandra's FB LDL entry but did not find much on preparing them other than EVOO and course sea salt. I cooked them until slightly browned on top. Not sure how long I was supposed to cook. Anyone else tried broiling or grilling them? Any tasty recipes you want to share?
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
julie409
Master Member

Post by julie409 »

Hi Linda,

It does sound like they are too dry. I usually do my eggplant slices in the oven and either spray the pan and the slices with OO or brush them. I also sprinkle garlic powder and once in a while at the last minute some ff parm and then broil for a minute to let it brown. I have also done this on the stovetop with out the cheese. I made a small one yesterday and ate the whole thing for lunch. When I want to play the save calories game, I only put cheese on half of them and than place a plain one of top and make a sort of sandwich. All good!

Sometimes I do the same process with eggplant cubes and throw them into a tomato sauce. This tastes really yummy over chicken. FYI, I didn;t mention salt bc I am sensitive to it but most recipes use kosher salt. Hope the next batch comes out better.

Julie :rose:
msmpcm

Post by msmpcm »

:stop:Be careful when adding raw garlic to your olive oil. It has been the source botulism. Try heating the EVOO and add your cloves to hot oil. Allow to cool and strain before returning the oil to the bottle.  You will have a safe and flavorful oil to add to your cooking.
A butterfly adds to the beauty of the flower it lands on, strive to be a butterfly
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Amazing what creativity is inspired when you need to fix something to use up stuff you have on hand. Had some turnips sprouting and remembered someone saying they were a good substitute for potatoes sooo.....I sauteed some getting-older green onions and about a half glove of garlic in EVOC then added some diced (getting old bell pepper) then threw in half a bag of broccoli slaw then about 3 large turnips cut up like fries. Sauteed until tender with lid on skillet. Could not believe how good it was. DH really loved it. Served it for lunch with Cod fillets. I also found a new twist to flavored coffee. I can drink it without milk or cream but still use a little sugar in it. Loved the flavor or the Cafe Vienna instant coffee but swore it off with all the not-so-healthy stuff in it. Bought a jar of cinnamon sticks to put in my hot cider, so decided to put it in my coffee too. It is really good. Use same stick for many cups of coffee.

Now I think I will take the leftover turnip-fry and add the eggplant to it and see how that comes out!

Fruit and Soup Flush Monday is tomorrow.

Congratu;ations Saints. Know all those Louisana LDL'ers are celebrating!
Last edited by LINDA RN on February 7th, 2010, 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...