I'm Just Starting and Wanted to Say Hello!

Feel free to talk about anything and everything re Let’s Do Lunch™.
EarthAngel2911

I'm Just Starting and Wanted to Say Hello!

Post by EarthAngel2911 »

Hello Roger and everyone!  Last month sometime I was listening to a local talk radio show out of Ft. Myers, FL, and I heard Roger Troy talking about "Let's Do Lunch."  I was intrigued and something inside clicked; all of a sudden I was interested in losing weight!  (For over a year, after a failed Weight Watchers attempt, I just haven't cared.)

I'm a 37-yr old female, and I'm very overweight, as is my husband.  I did lose 26 pounds on Weight Watchers last year (gained 10 of it back), but around Halloween time couldn't get past the candy cravings.  Even though counting points was working for me, I hadn't gotten rid of any cravings.  I was eating breads and what I liked, but I was constantly hungry.

Anyway, I liked the sound of LDL because it didn't cut out all carbs.  I happen to believe that the right carbs are important for good health.  (I've had to come to grips with the fact that breads and foods in the bread family will make you gain weight.  )   The other thing I liked was that you could eat as much of the good foods as you wanted, which is a key for my husband.  I've been looking for something that would work for both of us.  My husband is overweight as well, but he refuses to go on a diet that will end up "starving him".   

But I do have a concern.  I've been eating fruit in the morning, but I can't seem to feel full eating just fruit.  It just goes right through you!  How on earth can you get full eating just fruits?   And my concern is that if I did eat fruit until I got full, I'll end up going broke buying so much fruit.

I am a cancer survivor, and I suffered through loads of radiation to my face, which eliminated most of my saliva production.  Because of that, there are certain fruits I can't eat, like grapes.  I don't know what it is, but there's something in the skins that can't be broken down without saliva.  (I can't drink wine either, which thankfully doesn't bother me at all.)  And the enzymes in pineapple (possibly my favorite fruit) will make my tongue bleed if I eat too much.  The easiest fruits for me are melons:  watermelon, cantelope, and honeydew, although I do eat other fruits, I just can't eat as much.   Of course, it could be where I'm shopping, but it seems like melons are awfully expensive.

Oops!  Gone on a tangent again!  Sorry!  My main question is:  How do you eat tons of fruit without spending a fortune?   ;)   I know eventually, the price of fruit will be offset by not buying all the other stuff we would buy, but right now it's tough.  I've already started, but my husband is still shopping the old way, trying to "get psyched up", he says. 

Blessings,
Karen
niki

Re: I'm Just Starting and Wanted to Say Hello!

Post by niki »

earth angel.....i like that.............hi.........i live in new york and so there's a lot of stuff that's just not available..or if it is,it's tasteless and really expensive....i'm looking forward to summer fruit..peaches,plums,cherries,WATERMELON(that's my favorite)..but,i wait for the stuff that's in season so that it's plentiful and less expensive.....my pastor's wife told me she buys frozen fruit from trader joe's,and that's it's very reasonably priced,but i haven't gone there yet to check labels and prices.....in the beginning,you'll eat more fruit...but,then you'll taper off......AND,a lot of times,i don't want any more fruit,so i'll wait a while and make some popcorn....roger troy revised the next printing of his book to say that if you eat the ldl foods,you will lose weight.....so,with this way of eating, you have the freedom to taper it to your personal needs....i have a pot of homemade lentil soup cooking on the stove...but,it's not ready yet....so i ate a little tuna salad i had in the fridge......i don't like to be hungry...and now i don't have to be....you can do the same thing for yourself and your husband...taper it to your own needs and your own lifestyles...i wasn't looking for a diet....i thought i would just try low carbs AGAIN.....but i would never have been successful...i would do it for a few weeks and then go off...then wait at least a year before trying again....for me this is almost 2 months....that is for me an accomplishment................haloween candy????been there...done that.........NOONE loves junk food more than i do....but,i can live without it(AND not crave it)because i deserve better.....my body deserves better.......and ldl is helping me do it.........AS it will do for you and your husband...........good luck and God bless you both...................niki               
carbonite

Post by carbonite »

I have had a boiled egg with fruit every so often and that does the trick for me.  I think now I can eat a banana and apple, and some tea or coffee, and feel ok.  But, I do get hungry about 2 hrs later.  So, I eat some OR Smart Pop popcorn.  That does it until lunch.  Or...I could eat 3 apples  and banana.  That will do it for a while.  I felt fine with that combo. 

Carbonite
EarthAngel2911

Post by EarthAngel2911 »

Thank you, everyone, for your responses and great suggestions  :)   I tend to be a by-the-book type of person, so it didn't even occur to me to alter the timing of what I'm eating.  :-\  I did make the most wonderful fruit shake last night and this morning, and it was GREAT!  I used fresh bananas and frozen strawberries and blueberries, and just a touch of Stevia, and I drank the whole blender full!  ;D  My older son had that for breakfast and loved it too.  (He'll be much easier to convert than my younger son.)

Roger, what I meant about the cost comment has to do with my husband, who isn't totally on board yet.  He went shopping on the same day I did, unbeknownst to me, but he got all the junk and I got all the good stuff, which was a double food bill.  But next time I'm putting my foot down....  he's not allowed at the grocery store alone anymore!   :)

And I'm hoping that as he sees me eating so many good foods, and lots of them, that it won't take him long to decide that he'll actually enjoy LDL!

Blessings,
Karen
carbonite

Post by carbonite »

Well, stick to the good stuff for sure.  However, don't push too hard.  Just let him see how you do it for a while.  It might be more expensive but eventually it could pay off for you. 

Carbonite
EarthAngel2911

Post by EarthAngel2911 »

Mary,

Thanks for the suggestion!  I have been on the recipes board, and I've noticed and printed out a folder full of your wonderful recipes!  I'll have to go back and get the sweet banana one.

I really like bananas, and luckily I don't have any physical problems eating them.  I did wonder how many of those you can eat.  I doubt that this fruit is an "eat until your full" fruit.  Then again, you're right, it doesn't take much for a banana or two to help feel satisfied.  :)

Karen
TNangela

Post by TNangela »

earthangel,
It is great that you found LDL!!  It looks as if you are already receiving lots of great advice from all our friends here!  You are probably right by not taking your husband to the grocery store with you!  I am the same age as you until Sunday :-) , when I go to the grocery store for what I call my monthly stockup (7kids!) I take nobody..it is about a 3 hour process but I choose what is purchased and it eliminates lots of unnecessary junk food, so my family eats healthier! I wont mention the cost of this shopping trip!!
Good luck ang
Tori

Post by Tori »

Hi EarthAngel!

I'm just starting out too. Feel free to get in touch with me if you would like.
God Bless!