CRUNCHY WALDORF SALAD

The place to go if you have a question that needs answered!
Karen Weeks

CRUNCHY WALDORF SALAD

Post by Karen Weeks »

I GUESS THAT IS WHAT IT IS CALLED, I HAVE LOST THE RECIPE  IT HAS APPLES, CELERY AND A FEW RAISINS. IT IS THE AMOUNT OF COTTAGE CHEESE, LITE MAYO AND LEMOPN JUICE TO ADD.  I LET A FREIEND READ MY BOOK AND THE RECIPE IS IN IT.  i GAVE TO HER, TRYING TO GET HER BROTHER MOTIVATED TO BUY THE BOOK AND DO THIS.  HE WEIGHS 9OO POUNDS AND IS 38 YEARS OLD AND HE IS GOING TO DIE IF HE DOESN'T DO SOMETHING.  WE KNOW HE WOULD LOVE THIS WAY OF EATING AND I EVEN AGREED TO COOK IT FOR THEM, SO PRAY HARD THIS THIS MAN.  BUT MEANWHILE, I NEED MY RECIPE, SOMEONE PLEASE HELP.  THANKS KAREN
tprouty
Master Member

Re: CRUNCHY WALDORF SALAD

Post by tprouty »

Hi Karen.

Your friend's brother would definitely thrive on Let's Do Lunch, and it is so kind of you to offer to cook for them. I hope they decide to do this.

Here are a couple of Waldorf Salad recipes from the recipe boards -- one with protein and one without, though neither have cottage cheese. Both are by our beloved LDL chef, Little Mary. In fact, I am having the Waldorf Chicken Salad for lunch today. It is sooooo quick and easy, and both my hubby and I love it. I used to reach for a sandwich when I was in a hurry -- now it is almost as fast to throw this salad together! Mmmmmm-mmmmmm good!  :thumbsup:

There might be another variation in the book that has cottage cheese in it, but I am always changing up the recipes and rarely serve them exactly the same way twice. This is a great salad no matter what!

http://boards.letsdolunch.com/boards/in ... opic=988.0

LDL Waldorf Salad

INGREDIENTS:
1 Cos Lettuce
1 lb. seedless red or green grapes, washed
1 lb. of red delicious apples, diced into cubes
3 Tbsp. lemon juice
2/3 cup Carb-Options light mayonnaise
5 celery stalks, thinly sliced
4 shallots, finely sliced
1 clove of garlic, minced
1 cup dry roasted soy nuts
1/4 cup raisins

1.  Put the apples in a bowl with the lemon juice and 1 Tbsp. of the mayonnaise.  Stir well and let sit for 30 or 40 minutes.  Cut the grapes in half lengthwise.

2.  Add the shallots, garlic, raisins, celery and 3/4 cup of the soy nuts to the apples and mix well.  Add the rest of the mayonnaise and stir well again.  Then add the grapes and mix together.

3.  Cover four plates with lettuce leaves.  Pile a big scoop of the grape/apple salad into the middle of each plate on top of the lettuce.  Sprinkle the remaining soy nuts on top, and add salt & pepper to taste.  Yum!

http://boards.letsdolunch.com/boards/in ... opic=987.0

Waldorf-Chicken Salad

INGREDIENTS:
1 Cos Lettuce
1 lb. of cooked chicken breasts, diced into cubes
1 lb. of red delicious apples, diced into cubes
3 Tbsp. lemon juice
2/3 cup Carb-Options light mayonnaise
5 celery stalks, thinly sliced
4 shallots, finely sliced
1 clove of garlic, minced
1 cup dry roasted soy nuts

1.  Put the apples in a bowl with the lemon juice and 1 Tbsp. of the mayonnaise.  Stir well and let sit for 30 or 40 minutes.

2.  Add the shallots, garlic, celery and 3/4 cup of the soy nuts to the apples and mix well.  Add the rest of the mayonnaise and stir well again.  Then add the chicken cubes and mix together.

3.  Cover four plates with lettuce leaves.  Pile a big scoop of the chicken/apple salad into the middle of each plate on top of the lettuce.  Sprinkle the remaining soy nuts on top, and add salt & pepper to taste.  Yum!
Karen Weeks

Post by Karen Weeks »

Thanks Roger, I love that salad, I even leave the raisins out just apples and celery.  That was breakfast today with corn chowder minus the meat. Karen
redkat

Post by redkat »

Does this salad keep well for several days?  I'm single and when I cook/make salads, its usually on Sundays and I will eat on that for the entire week.
Kathy
tprouty
Master Member

Post by tprouty »

Hi RedKat

It never lasts more than a couple of days at my house!  :D But it doesn't seem to change at all over a few days, even with the grapes sliced in half. I think the fresh lemon juice serves as a preservative. Anyway, there are lots of delicious salads here, but I have to say, the chicken waldorf is still my favorite!

Enjoy
Terri
leisuregranny

Post by leisuregranny »

I'm all about salads.  I must have missed this one in the book, but then I'm only on my second reading. :D  I definitely will have to try this one. 

Blessings,
Sylvia
IF WE MEET AND YOU FORGET ME, YOU HAVE LOST NOTHING. 
BUT, IF YOU MEET JESUS AND FORGET HIM, YOU HAVE LOST EVERYTHING!

Judy-Reno

Post by Judy-Reno »

I made the LDL recipe last night and enjoyed it for dinner.  I could not find a reference to it in the text of the book and so bought a Kindle copy that let me search the text.  Found it was OK to have in the evening.

Today is Day 5 for me, and I'm struggling with being tired and irritable.  I gather that may be because toxins are leaving my body.

May I be pleasing to Him!
wendysgoodnews
Master Member

Post by wendysgoodnews »

I struggled in the beginning when I was getting rid of the toxins.  To begin with it seemed like I was doing wonderful and then it hit me.  But it doesn't last long and then you will have days where you have all kinds of energy and then pretty soon you will just feel great everyday.  It is not this way for everyone but just hang in there it does get better.  Are you eating enough fruit and protein to take care of cravings and give you stamina?  The bean soups will keep you feeling satisfied and I find the recipes for chicken and pork loins also make me feel satisfied all day.  Hope things start looking up real soon for you.
Judy-Reno

Post by Judy-Reno »

Thanks for the encouragement, Wendy.  I have been eating only lean meat for some years.  With this diet, I'm eating much more fruit than usual.  I'm not craving anything, which is good.  After I made the first post, and spent a couple of hours at my computer, I felt better than I had earlier.  I will trust that my body will adjust.

May I be pleasing to Him!