An afternoon at the mall

Feel free to talk about anything and everything re Let’s Do Lunch™.
Beth B.

An afternoon at the mall

Post by Beth B. »

Today was the day I could not put off any longer.  I HAD to go shopping for clothes.  I heard someone say on the radio once that when a woman says, "I have nothing to wear" it means she has nothing "new" to wear.  When a man says he has nothing to wear, it means he has nothing "clean" to wear.  Well, I really had next to nothing to wear.  I was down to one pair of light colored pants, 2 pairs of capris, one jogging suit, one pair of sweat pants and a few tops.  I had even been ruthless with my shoes, getting rid of all that were not comfortable or I didn't love.  We've had cooler weather this week so I had to give up the capris and it's really too late in the season to wear the light colored pants.

I am happy to report that I did not have to shop in the plus sizes and everything I tried on fit great.  I was very grateful for this as I really hate to shop and I really dislike going to the mall.  In the past, I probably would have bought just about everything just because it fit, however, today I really didn't want to buy anything, because I know chances are good they will be too big very soon.  I ended up with 2 pairs of dress slacks and two tops and a pair of shoes.  I felt good for not getting carried away and overspending and I will have something nice to wear to church tomorrow.

I have not been staying on-plan for at least a month but I am going to the gym and getting out to walk my dog nearly every day so I haven't gained anything back.  I am re-reading the book and reading the boards to try to get my motivation back.  Life has been a bit more stressful lately and old bad habits creeped in.  It's snacking that is getting the best of me, but I'm not giving up.  I've lost 36-38 pounds so far.
MsHeirloom
Master Member

Re: An afternoon at the mall

Post by MsHeirloom »

Beth- Congratulations on the progress you have made and on needing new clothes.  Now hop right back on the train and finish the journey.  It sounds like you are recommitting to do just that!!!  Pam
Beth B.

Post by Beth B. »

Pam and RT, thanks so much for the encouragement!

RT, you are so right; I am not eating until full--just grabbing whatever on the run.  I've been able to keep a minimum of one LDL meal per day and often two, but not taking the time to eat enough and then hitting the in between meal snacks.  I realize I have to get organized because this is such an easy way to lose weight and feel great.

I hadn't been to our home church for almost a year and I hadn't realized until I got there that many people have not seen me since I've lost weight and cut my hair short.  I was able to talk to 2 people about LDL--I know for sure one of them is going to do it and the other one I encouraged to get on the website and check it out.  My sister and brother in law saw my success and started LDL July 19.  My sister has lost 16.5 lb. and my brother-in-law has lost 36 lb plus 20 lb that he had lost before that the hard way (deprivation) for a total of 56.  His sister who had a successful weightloss surgery asked me why I couldn't have heard about this BEFORE she had her surgery.
witheraway1
Master Member

Post by witheraway1 »

Beth, sounds like you are doing good, and you know what to do, I think  you will finish the journey! Keep us posted.
Beth B.

Post by Beth B. »

Thanks!  You are doing great too!  It feels good to be back on track!
Beth B.

Post by Beth B. »

Whoa! I just weighed and I can't believe it...I am under 200 for the first time in at least 5 years.  I am in a state of shock.  I've had a mental block about that number, thinking that when and if I went under 200 then I am committed.  I wondered if I really have what it takes to see this through.  I'm happy, nervous, excited, worried....does that make any sense???  I feel like this is the start of something new.  I was thinking of waiting to change my ticker but why wait? Here goes.....
witheraway1
Master Member

Post by witheraway1 »

BETH I GET SO EXCITED EVERYTIME I lose I change my ticker. Speaking of my ticker it has not moved in a while.   :sad:  Wither
Last edited by witheraway1 on October 3rd, 2010, 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VickiLynn
Master Member

Post by VickiLynn »

Beth,

Congrats on getting under that 200 mark!  It is the start of something new -- a new, skinner, healthier you!
pmilburn

Post by pmilburn »

Beth-I would encourage you to spend some time reflecting on your self concept- be sure it changes with your weight - these milestones can trip us up and we can begin to sabatage ourselves.  You may not feel that you "know" yourself at this weight - do the mental self acceptance work.  Hope you know what I mean and congrats!!!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wxEjaUt/]
Beth B.

Post by Beth B. »

Thanks Wither!  I hope you get to change your ticker soon--your doing great and over halfway there!

VickieLynn, thanks for always being here to encourage!

pmilburn, Thanks for the congrats!  I know what you mean about sabotage and I do know that I need to have the right mental outlook, but I don't know how to do it.  I am trying to replace negative thoughts about myself with positive ones but other than that, I'm taking it day by day.  Any specific ideas?
Kathie

Post by Kathie »

Beth B..  you are doing awesome.. I can feel the excitment way over here.. It is motavating me to go further.. I can do this too!
Hugs.. Kathie in Fl.
[
pmilburn

Post by pmilburn »

I think it would help to spend some time visualizing yourself thin - get very relaxed and think about the new thinner you in every setting in your life - with friends, shopping for and wearing different clothes, getting rid of big clothes, working, exercising, etc.  anything you can think of.  Changing your body can be a bit tramatic on your brain which tries very hard to maintain the status quo.  Change, even though we think we want it very badly, can be threatening to our subconcious which is working hard to keep us "safe".  I think we need to tell ourselves over and over that change is ok and wanted - picture it being ok, really ok, to change and eventually your brain will accept your new body.  Sometimes, believe it or not, there can be negative thoughts with weight loss that we are not really aware of - we need to find these and get rid of them.  I once pictured myself on a scale at my perfect weight and "saw" a bony ugly person - I realized that deep down I did not think I would really look good at my goal weight - a few good looks in the mirror without clothes (I am good at ignoring mirrors from the neck down) showed me I was wrong :)
witheraway1
Master Member

Post by witheraway1 »

P... You give very sound advice. Are you educated in that field?
pmilburn

Post by pmilburn »

W... I just read alot about it.
wendysgoodnews
Master Member

Post by wendysgoodnews »

The guidepost I was reading last night had an article about visualizing the things you want to see happen in your life.  Great article and she went thru magazines and cut out pictures to help her see it in her mind and pasted them in a notebook.  She then looked at the pictures and prayed over them each day.  They were needs like a car that would run, her daughter getting on track and that type if thing.  She had quite a number of things and she saw them all happen thru the Lord.
Beth B.

Post by Beth B. »

I've been out of town a few days, so I am just seeing your responses.  Wendy and pmilburn, you have both given me some good ideas and I am going to try both visualization and making a notebook too.  Pmilburn, I think you are right on target on the psychological part.

Kathie, I KNOW you can do this!!!  I love reading success stories; they motivate me too!

My husband is having a hip revision done on a 25 year old artificial hip joint at the end of this month.  He wants to start LDL as soon as he comes home from the hospital.  He is a big meat eater, whole milk and lots of butter.  He has always liked the Atkins diet and had always exercised 1 to 2 hours per day until he started getting stress fractures in his pelvis and had to stop walking and biking about a year ago.  He is very disciplined and has been swimming and lifting weights the last 6 weeks.  He tried water aerobics but that caused more problems with his bad hip.  He has diabetes and sleep apnea.  He's not crazy about veggies and beans, but he likes the smoothies I make with greens.  I think we can make this work and I know we will see some positive results right away.  He told me he is going to be grumpy anyway so he thinks this will be a good time to start--I think he will be surprised at how easy it is and how good he'll feel!
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Beth,
I know your hsband will love this WOE once he starts feeling better on it. Being a man, and with as much exercise he has had, his metabolism may handle the meats and dairy. Just cut back slightly but still let him have some until he gets used to the other foods. Concentrate on eliminating the wheat, rice and oats and any other processed foods he may have been using first. Keep us posted on his success. Prays going up for a successful surgery.
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
pmilburn

Post by pmilburn »

Beth - I am hoping to "ease" my husband this way too - I also am an exerciser but have read that for weight loss what we eat is 5 times as important.  While exercisinng is very important for many reasons we are not strong enough and we don't have the time or dedication it would take to work off the results of unhealthy eating.  That is why this WOE is so important because if we don't have those strong cravings that processed carbs cause we don't defeat ourselves.  I am sure your husband is more than ready for some clear success if he has been working that hard.  If he is like my husband he REALLY does not want to go hungry and with ldl he doesn't have to - but soon he really will want less.  I am amazed how my appetite has decreased and I've only been doing this about 10 days. I just have to remember to wait for hunger because there is really no need to eat more than I need.  Maybe you can mix some beans with his meat and he will never know....  Good luck.
Beth B.

Post by Beth B. »

Thanks Linda and pmilburn!  Jim (my husband) has been faithfully practicing walking with his crutches every day and is also swimming 1/2 mile almost daily.  That is all his hip will tolerate.  I was so surprised and happy this morning when he asked me if I would make him a smoothie!  Of course I did, but I asked him what made him think of that--he usually has eggs that he cooks himself--he said he had come home yesterday and drank the extra glass of smoothie left over from my breakfast and he really liked it and wanted more.  I always make a full blender of it and pour the extra in a glass and put it in the fridge for anyone who wants it.  He knows I put greens in it and once I put pureed beans without him knowing and he liked it, so I know we can make LDL work.  He stays away from fruit because of his diabetes so this is a new concept for him.  I'm really happy that he wants to try this again.