TAKING OFF 100+ LBS, 1 LB at a time (The 100 lb Club)

Feel free to talk about anything and everything re Let’s Do Lunch™.
LINDA RN
Master Member

Re: TAKING OFF 100+ LBS, 1 LB at a time (The 100 lb Club)

Post by LINDA RN »

Whether or not you loose enough to get into those 'Skinny Jeans" is only a secondary goal. For me I looked around at the debilitating conditions I was seeing at the hospital and as I got older I began to realize that what we eat and the nutrients we are not getting is largely responsible. Sure I wanted to loose a bunch of weight but I also wanted to get out from under the bondage of cravings and the general aches and pains some think are "normal" aging. Read and listened to alot of Christian health providers and could see the soundness of eating the rainbow, eating whole foods and unprocessed like God created them, and Let's Do Lunch. I have been up and down with the same 20 something pounds over the past couple years. Have not really lost significantly with LDL because I have not changed some lifestyle habits of getting prepared ahead of time. But I am making the healthy choices and I believe that soon I will start seeing significant weight loss. My clothes are looser and people are noticing, it is not fast but I want to feel great. That is what is most important. When you get discouraged, maybe it is time for a change up in your menu. Try some new dishes and add more filling fresh fruit. Hang in there. This is a lifetime committment. I don't ever want to go back eating the junk again. Now, it doesn't even sound good. No temptation for pizza and icecream, cookies or cake. Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels.
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
LittlePrincess
Master Member

Post by LittlePrincess »

lifegoeson, I'm not sure how much you have to lose but I've still got about 200 to take off.  So I can definately feel your pain about 40 pounds not making you look much different.  I got on LDL several years ago and I lost 85 pounds in 14 months with ZERO exercise.  Even with 85 pounds gone, not many people noticed.  It was definately disheartening to me on that front.  But the good part was that I was shrinking and I felt better than I had ever felt in my life.  Not only physically, but emotionally too.  I TRULY believe when we improve the quality of the foods we eat that it effects our moods as well.  It did for me for sure.  Unfortunately, I let some life issues set me back and I began eating garbage again and gained all my weight back and then some. 

So here is what I have to do now.  I have to visualize what I am going to look like at my goal weight.  Every single night before I sleep I visualize myself as a smaller, healthier and happier person.  I have to remind myself that if I don't lose this weight....two years from now I'm going to be two years older....so do I want to be two years older and still fat or do I want to be two years old, fit, happy and healthy.  Most days I eat for the second option.  I still struggle sometimes but those days are getting less frequent and farther between too. 

I'm glad you came and shared your feelings.  You aren't alone in them.  It seems like on these boards that someone is always up and someone is always down.  I'm so blessed by all the people here who cheer me on in the bad times and the good.  They will love you this way too!  *hug*  Just keep coming back hon. 

Fit, Happy and Healthy LP
All you will ever be is you.  Learn to love it.

Post by julie409 »

HI Life,

I have a little over 40lbs to go to reach my 100 lb weight loss target; not close, but getting closer.  :thumbsup:

The first 40lbs seemed to come off relatively easy; and I say that bc I felt so good and did not feel deprived at all. After that, I did hit the wall a few times but bc I had gotten myself into the mind set that I am not using LDL as a diet but as a new lifestyle, there was really nothing to quit. I just had to keep going and continually tweak what I was eating to continue to lose weight. Roger always says, LDL is different if you are looking to lose weight --- and I am.

BTW, not a lot of people noticed the first 40 lbs of my weight loss. Some people (even some very close to me) have not even commented yet on how I currently look. I have found that it is better for me if I look inward for validation and come to my LDL family for encouragement and caring. The lovely people on this board are a great reason why I know I can keep going. And please recognize that 40lbs is significant in a lot of ways. It certainly takes a lot of effort and commitment to lose that much weight and it seems to be a point in which a lot of us go off track. Sometimes like you said, it just makes our ultimate goal seem so far away. Sometimes we begin to look so good that we think we can add some NO foods into the mix. And sometimes our heads are not ready to accept the new us - so we sabotage ourselves to remain the fatter version of ourselves that we know. Whatever the issue, be aware of it and deal with it head on. I figured the time will pass anyway so what did I want to be in 4 mos: 6 mos?  I certainly did not want to be TRYING to lose weight for the rest of my life.

To answer your original question, I set smaller goals --- LOTS of them. I do track my weight loss and my inches. I find when one thing stalls, the other will show progress and that makes me feel good. I am also very motivated by clothing. Now that I have dropped a few sizes, I find it is extremely motivating to buy a new outfit or a new pair of pants and watch my progress as they begin to fit better and better. I buy a lot of things in off price stores like Marshall's and there are so many sales & coupons to use. Yesterday, I finally fit into a Size 12 pair of Jeans (not pants - cause that's different) I have been waiting a while to wear and it feels so great to see them fit so well. YEAH! ;)

So YES!; do whatever you need to do to motivate yourself. Maybe you can buddy up with someone else that has about the same to lose and email each other during the week to encourage each other. I am doing that too and it has worked to further motivate me.

BTW, I agree with Linda completely. I am extremely interested in gaining good health! We are all so much better off with the good nutritious LDL choices.

OH, I was about to post and was alerted that LP had posted too. I am so agreeing with her and am heartened to see that we wrote about a lot of the same things  *hug*  We are all more alike than we know. I also use visualization all the time to bring about what I want and I think the lower size clothing is cementing that picture for me. Keep focused on where you want to be in the next month and the year will take care of itself!

Hope some of this was helpful! I KNOW we will hear about your success story real soon.

Julie :rose:
TERLYN

Post by TERLYN »

Count me in the club. :thumbsup:
The LORD bless thee, and keep thee:The LORD make his face shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee: The LORD lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace. Numbers 6:24-26
Deborah D.
Master Member

Post by Deborah D. »

Well another 2 lbs has bit the dust, hit the road, fly the coop....well its gone for good.  I know I am eating the LDL way so will not worry about not losing faster...I am happy with the 42 lbs gone.  Thanks for everyone help on this thread.

Deborah D.
I live in Burleson, TX
Restarted LDL on April 11,2012
Starting weight 295 lbs
Goal weight 125 lbs

Karen Weeks

Post by Karen Weeks »

Deborah  Congratulations, way to go girl.  It is kinda fun eating ldl way, so many ways to try so many things.  Keep up the good work  Karen
LittlePrincess
Master Member

Post by LittlePrincess »

Congratulations hon!  ;D    :thumbsup:    :rose: 

Fit, Happy and Healthy LP
All you will ever be is you.  Learn to love it.

Post by freight_chik »

Good Morning Ladies & Gents...
So I know I've been nonexistent for awhile...but i've still been goin down the LDL road.  It's been kinda crazy around here....my daughter has regional dance competition coming up in 2 1/2 weeks...so every chance we get she's in the studio or with her instructor.  If she places well at this one she'll be invited to Nationals in TN. this summer!!  18 lbs gone....this WOE is so much fun...cuz I don't feel like i'm burdoned with a "diet"....which I know has all been said before in so many different ways.  When I stepped on the scales and saw that #....I stepped back off....let the scale reset and got back on to make sure it was right....then of course came the touchdown dance.  Quite disturbing if anyone would've seen that, but funny all the same. LOL  So that leaves 82lbs to go....but I gotta get serious cuz I want to see more off me by the end of June for the our NC beach trip!!  Don't want to be mistaken for a beached whale...and they either try to throw me back in...or take me to the aquarium...LOL  Hope everyone is well....we're fighting the last round of a cold....and of course it HAD to stop by Mom before it exited our house....nothing funner than spending the first couple days off lying around sick....that stunk!!  Have a great day all....Even though I don't say much...I do find ya'lls stories inspiration and morale boosters!!  Tootles

Darcy
being a Christian doesn't mean being perfect. It means being forgiven by a GOD who is.

"she who kneels before God can stand before anyone." -Author Unknown
tprouty
Master Member

Post by tprouty »

Way to go, Darcy!

Follow the plan, and the weight will just go away! Dontcha love it!

Good luck to your daughter -- and to your continued LDL success!

Terri
Deborah D.
Master Member

Post by Deborah D. »

Today I have to report a weight gain of 3 lbs....read my journal Deborah D. to see why...but I think a post from Gwen has helped me find the answer to why I have not been losing like I was before....and that is I don't have set times, and I eat very late at night....So I am going to try not eating after 8:00 PM.  And see if next month is any better....and also hoping I will not have to make Mimi chewies any time soon.

Deborah D.
I live in Burleson, TX
Starting weight 295 lbs
Goal weight 125 lbs

Gwennaford
Master Member

Post by Gwennaford »

Deborah D. wrote:and also hoping I will not have to make Mimi chewies any time soon.

HAVE to??? Is somebody holding a gun to your head?  Just say NO, my friend.  Some other hard-working soul at church can be the beneficiary of your mimi chewies recipe and all the ingredients for them. They will understand that you are doing this to save your life.

Poor Carrole (Sweet_Pea) has fallen victim to the church cooking syndrome and has, sadly, become one of the main consumers of her lasagne & other baked pasta dishes that she cooks for church suppers.  She is so upset with herself that she has regained almost everything she lost last year. 
Last edited by Gwennaford on April 8th, 2010, 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
• Join me in the Let’s Do Lunch message boards!
ImageImage
Karen Weeks

Post by Karen Weeks »

Can I join the club of gaining?  Just weighesd at end of March and so I weighed right after Easter 3 days of being a little bad and I gained 3 #  I am trying so hard to do it right now, but nothing sounds good to me.  I desperately need some good advice  Thanks Karen
Gwennaford
Master Member

Post by Gwennaford »

SORRY, this is a NO GAINING ZONE!  LOL!  What is giving you the most problems?  Being hungry? Not finding anything that sounds good to eat?

You said you were a little bad for 3 days over Easter.  What does that mean?

It's easy to stay on Let's Do Lunch because you can eat until you are FULL FULL FULL at every meal.  There is something to satisfy, literally EVERY yearning, so there is absolutely NO reason to feel deprived. 

Have you tried browsing the recipe files for things that sound good to eat, then shopping for the ingredients and making the recipes and ENJOYING yourself?

What tempts you most the cheat?  What times of day?  I need to know more about what is giving you problems about staying on program.

I can hear that you are dissatisfied and struggling.  Maybe going back and reading the book would help motivate you. 
ImageImage
Ginny M.
Master Member

Post by Ginny M. »

Just wanted to pop in here and say "HI".  I'm hoping to be a little more regular on the boards again now that I'm slowly heading "North to Michigan", the clogging has stopped until November, and the "going out to eat more than eating at home every week" has reversed.  Glad to hear you all are doing well or at least hanging in there.  I've spent the last several days cooking LDL foods so I have the right stuff to eat.  Made a double batch of Neets Meatloaf, a blender full of Gazpacho, a patch of my own Hummus  :poo: (need to find an actual recipe from the boards), 2 batches of Confetti Salad, a Mock Potato Salad, my own Speghetti Sauce (NOW I find a basic speghetti sauce without sugar  :'( after I made such a mess of my kitchen and burnt my pot) to eat with speghetti squash, bought lots of watermellon & bananas & oranges (already had grapes frozen), made 2 batches of cabbage & onions  *love* , and found out that fresh chicken breasts cooked on my Foreman Grill comes out really good (my DH said it was the BEST chicken breast he has had in years  *love*  :D ).  I still have to make the cream soup base and I think I will be DONE!  :D .  Needless to say, my pantry, refridgerator & freezer were pretty empty.  Anyway, I'm getting out of the Station and back on the Train to Skinnytown!  :D

*hug*
Ginny
MsHeirloom
Master Member

Post by MsHeirloom »

Good for you, Ginny.  We look forward to hearing about your weight loss.  You have set the stage for success and are prepared to succeed :rose:!  Pam
Karen Weeks

Post by Karen Weeks »

Thanks Gwennaford for the info.  I messed up for 3 days and not really bad, but dome potatoes and a piece of cake and meat for supper and lunch Easter and every since then no9thing sounds good to me.  I can look at sweets and say oh my but I don't touch them which I am a very bad sugar holic  Jst gusee I am not taking enough time for myself. but I don' t do for anyone else so where am I messing up.  Corn chowder without the chicken is about the only thing that really sounds good.  Ther when I eat and get full, I am hungry again very soon.  HELP PLEASE  Thanks Karen
Ginny M.
Master Member

Post by Ginny M. »

Karen,  I take it that you are fairly new to LDL. 

I find if I have the "non-LDL" food around it is more tempting.  I try not to have them in the house.  I also try to HAVE the "good LDL" food on hand:  always have frozen grapes, fresh cold oranges, raisins, apples, bananas, watermellon when it's in season and, of course, POPCORN w/EVOO!  I also make a double batch of Neets Meatloaf, a large pot of speghetti sauce (to eat with speghetti squash), Gazpacho or a Tomato-based soup of your choice, and a Cream Soup base (such as used with Mary's Corn & Chicken Chowder but no corn or chicken, I add what I feel like when I make it . . . frozen mixed veggies, corn, chicken, cauliflower & broccoli, etc.) and freeze several batches of each in small plastic containers that I transfer out of the contailer and into a freezer zip-lock baggies.  Then I have whatever I feel like eating almost instantly ready.  Find what you like, make a lot & Store/freeze it.

If you don't plan ahead a little, it will make it so much harder to stay on ANY plan.  I have also tried something different this time because LDL works so well for me.  I have told so many of my friends about LDL so that when I go out to eat (and I go out to eat more than I eat at home from November to April) I know they are watching what I eat so I HAVE to be good.  Any other time I was afraid to tell someone because I didn't want them to know I was "dieting" and then not eat right.  Right after I started LDL I spent a week at a Boy Scout Camp as a leader.  I cooked/froze my food and ate it all week.  I then went to a week at a Boy Scout outing at a college campus and ate in the cafeteria.  A little harder, but I still stuck to LDL with a little preplanning and contact with the college food service.  To have any plan succeed, you must do so planning (Plan your Work . . . Work your Plan).

Now, all that being said . . . WE ARE HUMAN.  YES, we will go "off  plan" OCCASSIONALLY !!!  The main thing is to have these "Off Plan" days few a far between, get back on and dust yourself off, and be back on plan.  You can do it, Karen.  We have all been there, still going, and we will succeed!  :D  Don't beat yourself up (well, maybe just a little with a wet noodle, just don't eat it).  Get back on that Train to Skinnytown.  We're here for you.

*hug*
Ginny
Karen Weeks

Post by Karen Weeks »

Thanks, I do usually plan ahead, but when I got off nothing sounded good, but I am back on and have been for 3 days.  Is there a reason that you don't add corn to your corn chowder soup[?  I don't put chicken in it because then I can eat it any time I want it.  Just for awhile nothing sounded good, but I have taken off the 3# I put on so I am feeling much better abo0ut myself.  For breakfast I had a little cantaloupe and then a eggbeater veggie omlette.  Keep in touch.  Thanks karen
Gwennaford
Master Member

Post by Gwennaford »

Karen, I think I get what Ginny was saying.  She keeps the creamy soup base made up ahead of time so she will already have a head start on making a variety of creamy style soups.  Doing it this way means you can add other ingredients to it later, for use in any recipe

I do that with large batches of garbanzos and other beans, as well as vegetable soup and homemade stocks.  You cook them up ahead of time, leaving them very plain and generic, and store them in smaller containers so they can be used in many different recipes.  There are tons of ways to use this technique for making something in a hurry when you are desperate to eat.  Then at mealtime it only takes a few minutes to modify them according to your whim, and depending if you want them for lunch, or vegetarian.

This is also a good technique to use when you have huge quantities of seasonal veggies like squash and root vegetables, or even giant packages of chicken breasts from the bulk food warehouse.  But PLEASE, everyone -- never boil food if you can roast it.  Oven roasting meats and vegetables adds such a HUGE flavor dimension and you don't lose nutrients into the water.  If you haven't tried it, please do.  I promise you will never go back to boiling.  I do this in giant batches so I don't have to turn on the oven very often.  Then divide the roasted food into sandwich bags and stick them in the freezer, ready to add to any recipe.

I've said a prayer that Deborah D's husband will rethink his quirk about not wanting to have any food in the house and will start letting her keep her cooked food pantry & freezer stocked like this.
Last edited by Gwennaford on April 10th, 2010, 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
Deborah D.
Master Member

Post by Deborah D. »

Thanks Gwen I can use a lot of help praying for that...but when you pray please state that I want to stock with healthy stuff not cookies and candies and chips like he has now...its OK to have some of that in the house because that is what he craves....he went to breakfast this morning and came home with 2 packages of cookies..... :sick: and he already has peanut brittle and chocolate candy bars here...

Deborah D.
I live in Burleson, TX
Starting weight 295 lbs
Goal weight 125 lbs