Gwennaford's Journal

Each member may create a new topic with his or her name on it, to track their daily food intake.
Gwennaford
Master Member

Re: Gwennaford's Journal

Post by Gwennaford »

No, I'm glad you posted here, Margo.  You brought my own words back to me at a time when I needed to hear it!  I got up this morning at 5:45am after having slept, maybe 2 hours, just because Neil had gotten up.  I have taken care of some medical equipment that needed attention, did the dishes, watched "Good Morning America" while researching stuff online & forced myself to eat a bowl of beans I didn't want, when all the while my body is desperately crying out for sleep.  WHY do we do this, Margo?  I wonder if we think the world will end if we don't keep FIVE balls in the air instead of three? 

I was speaking of my therapist earlier.  He's teaching me progressive relaxation techniques to enable me to turn off my brain so I can go to sleep.  That's a pretty common approach - you've probably experienced how they tell you to imagine that each part of your body is relaxed & warm while you're counting down a flight of steps or descending past multiple floors in an elevator, on your way down to somewhere in your imagination that is fantastically wonderful and relaxed.  He explained that it's okay to turn loose of your thoughts for a little while, imagine yourself setting those thoughts aside in a safe place where you can come back for them when you wake up, if you want to.  And I'm like, "DUH... :teeth: you mean it's actually okay to stop composing that letter and rehashing that argument and working that math problem and planning what you're going to say to your inlaws next time you see them and writing the grocery list, and working out the solution to your last sudoku...and...and...and.."   :wacko:  Many times I have prayed for peace, relaxation, relief, and found myself hours later involved in vigorous prayer to the point that I have to jump up & get the Bible to look up a scripture reference and while I'm up I think I'll make some coffee, and...and...and... :drool:

It's no wonder the cheese is slipping ! ! ! *woot*

I read that many times we feel like we have to eat when actually we are thirsty.  The next time you're tired and over extended and you feel like you need to eat, do this:  First, make sure you have eaten the appropriate amount of healthy LDL foods at the appropriate time, including plenty of lean protein.  If you suspect you may not REALLY be hungry, then consider getting a refreshing non-caf beverage and spending five minutes with your eyes closed, just chilling.  Someone can hold the phones for you for five minutes.  Try sitting back in your chair, let your head fall really far back, close your eyes and breathe deeply in AND OUT while your arms hang straight down to the floor, & your shoulders down away from my ears.

I'm going to turn off my phone & take a nap now.
Last edited by Gwennaford on September 17th, 2008, 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
• Join me in the Let’s Do Lunch message boards!
ImageImage
margo
Master Member

Post by margo »

"DUH...  you mean it's actually okay to stop composing that letter and rehashing that argument and working that math problem and planning what you're going to say to your inlaws next time you see them and writing the grocery list, and working out the solution to your last sudoku...and...and...and .." 

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: sudokuuuuuuuuu....me toooo! and jigsaws and crosswords...what's up with that??

you know what?  i'm going to take a nap too...The General is in there napping up a storm....i think i'll crawl in there and shut my eyes and see what happens!

Thanks and GOd bless..
margo
Gwennaford
Master Member

Post by Gwennaford »

I think we're kindred spirits, Margo  :thumbsup:
ImageImage
Tori
Administrator

Post by Tori »

I got my 15 year old son hooked on Sudoku as well. Love those things!
Gwennaford
Master Member

Post by Gwennaford »

Hi, Julie--  I think I missed discussion about your location.  Are you in OK, or Texas?

My Background

You just made me realize that I come from several places where I feel bonded and I claim as "home", for different reasons.  I was born in southern Kansas, raised in Tulsa, and spent school vacations & holidays with my grandparents & great-grandparents in the Ozarks of southern Missouri.

I married young & spent my early adult years travelling the Midwest and Western States "doodlebugging" with a seismic oil exploration company.  If you live out there I know you've heard of Seismograph Exploration Co.  They sent us to Venezuela for a couple of years right after I was married the first time.  Spent a few notable years in South & East Texas (my adopted state), and many places in the Midwest.  Unfortunately, it was a hard life and the marriage didn't last.  But many wonderful things came out of it...most notably my beautiful Kayce bunny (DD#1) in 1979.  *love*  When the oil boom crashed in the early '80's Seismograph closed the Tulsa headquarters and I opted not to follow them to Houston, but instead to follow a dream of paradise in Florida, where I am today. 

Here I met & fell in love with my Huggy-Bear Neil, a Tennessee transplant who appealed to my redneck, hillbilly, achy-breaky heart.  *hug*  We married in 1987 & had our sweet Michelle in 1988. (2 kids almost 10 years apart... WHAT WAS I THINKING? ? ?)  I call her my "Rabbit" because she was a THUMPER  *love*  Neil already had three grown boys in nearby St. Petersburg.  So, not having any good reason to be anywhere else, we settled in here and both got good jobs in municipal government.  After spending our formative adulthoods deeply entrenched in the woes of the "world", we both rediscovered the LOVE AND SAVING GRACE OF THE LORD. 

We were both raised in Christian families (his practiced, mine didn't) and loved the Lord, after a fashion, but didn't get serious about Him until the last 10 years.  Even then, there were long lapses when the troubles of life kept trying to crush the love out of us, but GOD never gave up on us.  I thank Him often for calling and calling until we were finally back in His wonderful fold! 

All praises to His precious Name for bringing us through ... as we continue to stand on His promises of victory!  :inlove:

[glow=red,2,300]IN GOD WE TRUST[/glow]

Gratefully, Gwen
ImageImage
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

what an interesting story.....and you WEREN'T walking with the Lord when you met and married?....did i get that right?....and you both, after falling in love and getting married, found the Lord TOGETHER?..........AWESOME :thumbsup:.............niki
life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain..
Gwennaford
Master Member

Post by Gwennaford »

That's right, we were seriously in lust, but both of us had been hurt and were afraid of making similar mistakes again.  But we gradually realized we were meant to be together as the Lord saw to it that we couldn't manage to see each other unless we started going to church! That's another whole chapter, how that came about.  My sweet Daddy facilitated on the Lord's behalf and my funny old MeeMa -- (Dad's had relocated from OK to FL and MeeMa was a snowbird) she would thump her cane and holler out in front of everybody, "You two better hurry up & decide to get married before I have to go back to Tulsa to file my taxes in April, or I'm NOT coming to the wedding! !!"  ;D 

We got it done by the end of January.
ImageImage
Gwennaford
Master Member

Post by Gwennaford »

I just received & want to share the following.  Our listing shows the program airs here from 5:00-7:00 p.m. and 10:00-midnight, EST.  I don't know if either one of them will be the right one, but I never feel like I've wasted my time when I listen to people talking about the Glory of God, right?

Dear Friends and Partners,

We have exciting news!

On Thursday, September 18, Richard Roberts will appear on Trinity Broadcasting Network’s Praise the Lord program.  Tune in to watch Richard share an encouraging word and prayer.  Be sure to tell your friends and family, so they can tune in and believe God for their miracle too.  You won’t want to miss it, and neither will they!

Praise The Lord airs at 7:00 p.m. Pacific Time (GMT -8:00) on a TBN station near you.

God bless you!

The Oral Roberts Ministries

I just heard on that program.... a man said, "Some of my best thoughts were thought up by someone else."  :D
ImageImage
Vernswifevickie

Post by Vernswifevickie »

Gwen...I loved reading about how you and your hubby met and how the Lord used your relationship to draw you to Himself!
Vickie
Wife to Vern
Mom to Chris, Courtney & Colin
Grandma Honey to lil Miss Autumn
Daughter of the King!
Gwennaford
Master Member

Post by Gwennaford »

Vickie, this is related, in a sideways sort of way:  :sideways:

Re: Dear Friend Needs Prayer
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2008, 10:23:02 PM » Quote Modify Remove 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote from: Life4Now on February 29, 2008, 04:40:16 PM
LORD, I stand firm in my faith, EXPECTING a full MANIFESTATION of YOUR mircleworking power in my (Mitchell,Becki and their kids) life.  Your added to my prayer list as well.  Life4Now
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All praise, glory and honor to OUR FATHER IN HEAVEN for His miracle working power. 

He performs wonders that cannot be fathomed, miracles that cannot be counted.  Job 5:9 & Job 9:10 NIV

He has caused his wonders to be remembered; the LORD is gracious and compassionate. Psalm 111:4 NIV
ImageImage
Gwennaford
Master Member

Post by Gwennaford »

Another Day of the Lord's Grace and Compassion

Today's Food Journal -- Tuesday 9-23-08

This is a typical food day for me except today I had more heavy protein than usual.  And I usually start around 8 am instead of NOON!  I slept in to try & recharge my batteries.  Because of the increased stress and activity of running back and forth to the hospital and taking care of Neil, I thought my body might need the extra protein.  I don’t know if that’s true, but I DID feel happier and more energetic, with a much more positive outlook than I had yesterday.  I don’t know if the extra protein gets the credit, though.  My Sweet Lord touched me repeatedly today.  It was a good day all around.  :)

I eat just about the same thing every day, varying the kinds of beans, bean soups, & veg.  I don’t eat much heavy protein anymore.  I don’t crave it like I used to, so 3 ounces is a LOT for me in one sitting.  I almost can’t choke it down (unless it’s a nice medium-rare steak – like THAT happens every day -- ha ha).  Plus, it makes me really constipated for days after, no matter how much water and bean soup I have afterward.

Breakfast – NOON:
Cup of bean soup (I normally have a couple bowls of soup or one big bowl of lentils and some fruit.  Just didn’t have time today.)
One cup of coffee, with skim milk

Popped lg. zipper bag of popcorn to take with.

Lunch in Hosp. cafeteria – around 3:00 pm?
Big piece of lean roast beef, fat along edges removed & gravy wiped off
Stewed Tomatoes with celery, onions peppers, homemade (by hosp.)  May have had some sugar in it, but probably not much, if any.
Large Spinach Salad w/garbanzos, beets, peppers, baby pear tomatoes, cucumbers & sunflower seeds (I know, I know.  Seeds are not allowed – but to my credit, I passed on the shredded cheddar cheese, full-fat cottage cheese (you can tell), canned mandarin orange segments, croutons and artificial bacon bits!)
Half regular & half nonfat Ranch dressing, mixed together.  Dipped fork tines.  Threw away ¾ of the, (maybe) ¼ cup I put into the little paper ketchup cup. 
Few bites of popcorn
Unflavored Seltzer w/fresh lemon wedges

Dinner – 8 pm
Ate the whole kernel corn, unsweetened baked apple wedges and grapes Neil left on his (diabetic) tray.  Tried a couple bites of the lean roasted pork loin, but it was really dry.  Although, I confess, I would have eaten the whole thing if it had been as good as it looked.  Good thing it wasn’t.  In the days before LDL, I would have choked it down anyway, just to keep it from going to waste.  I don’t like to brag about wasting food.  I still hate waste, but now I find someone ELSE to eat it – even if it’s the dog or the birdies.  THANK GOD for Let’s Do Lunch.  OH -- and half a can of diet Mt. Dew. (Again, I KNOW.  My giant mug of seltzer was gone & I was too tired to go all the way across campus and pay $1.25 for a bottle of water.  Our tap water is not good to drink lately - they just did their big annual chlorine sanitation on the water lines & it takes a few weeks to dissipate.  It's supposed to be safe, but...  :poo:)

The man in the next bed was discharged & housekeeping came in to clean up the area.  Turns out it was a woman I sang in the choir with at Countryside Christian Center (this humongo pentecostal charismatic bible teaching church I used to attend before my family boycotted it and me for going there).  Co-inky-dink?  I think not.  We spent an hour catching up & just loving each other in the Lord.  I told her all about LDL and she promised to check us out and tell her son.  (HI Karen T ... hope you see yourself here!)

Snack – 10 pm
Finally forced myself to leave Karen, & kissed Neil goodnight.  Not hungry at ALL, just tired, needing to wind down & wanting to close out the day with something comforting in my tummy before starting the trek home.  The cafeteria had some really excellent minestrone today (they stay open for dinner until 3 am) so I got a bowl of that & added a BIG scoop of garbanzos and a fresh lemon wedge from the salad bar.  I told the cashier & offered to pay extra for the “salad”, but she went, “pshhhht” and waved away the extra money.

That’s how you know God is watching over you – when people do random acts of kindness like that.  How can you NOT count your blessings?  Anyway, I enjoyed the minestrone (I picked out a few pieces of ziti pasta I didn’t realize were in there) ate some more of the popcorn and read my book for an HOUR while I waited for Michelle to pick me up.  I started out being a little torqued at her for keeping me waiting so long, but God gave me a gentle little nudge and said, “Be honest, haven’t you enjoyed the hour of restful solitude?”  Well DUH!  :blush:

Thank you again Jesus for a wonderful day, with my family, in your care.
ImageImage
EnJae
Master Member

Post by EnJae »

May Abba Father continue to give you moments of blessing!
I love you Gwennie!
NJ
Gwennaford
Master Member

Post by Gwennaford »

AWW NJ - You're so good to me.  Thanks!  I needed the extra blessing.  I had a really hard day.  I bawled and squalled and threw three kinds of fits at the hospital trying unsuccessfully to get adequate help for Neil.  When I got home I wanted to binge eat for the first time since I started LDL.  The Good Lord rescued me just in time and diverted my attention.  So instead of EATING the food, I spent a few hours WRITING about it.  New recipes follow in the next post.

I love you, too. *hug*

Gwen
ImageImage
Gwennaford
Master Member

Post by Gwennaford »

Banzo Biscuits and Beanana Bread Muffins

These recipes developed from my (failed) attempts to create LDL acceptable matzo balls.  I wrote down how it all came about ‘cause I thought it was amusing.  But I realized it was a really long story and probably not too interesting to anyone but me.  For now, suffice it to say I’m not Jewish and I wouldn’t know a matzo ball if it jumped up & bit me, so it’s probably not surprising they failed  :teeth:.  But what I lost in matzo, I gained in …

(CUE CHOIR OF ANGELS)  (CUE HEAVENLY LIGHT BEAMING DOWN) …

OH MY SWEET HEAVENLY DAYS – IT WAS A CHEDDAR BAY BISCUIT ! ! ! ! !  I immediately cooked and ate a whole batch with diet margarine.  Eating all that, (after having half a head of steamed cauliflower - sorry, Enjae) I wanted to curl up and oink with contentment.  That was a few weeks ago and I have since discovered several variations, but the basic recipe hasn't changed.  I eat them almost every day.  I’m NOT a baker so I cook them in the microwave and they only take 10 minutes from start to finish.  If you bake them in a conventional oven, let me know how they turn out, OK? Note  from 11-05-08:  Michelle & I made the Pumpkin Spice Beanana Muffins and Oatmeal Raisin Cookies (using canned garbanzos) in the conventional oven today and I did NOT like the way they turned out.  Muffins were heavy, soggy and fell apart.  Cookies were hard & tasteless on top, wet on the bottom.  The canned bean product definitely needs to be cooked in the microwave for that burst of heat and steam that "sets" their shape and cooks them all the way through, rapidly, without turning them into cardboard. -- Gwen

So, FINALLY --  TA-DAAAAAA !  Here they are …

Banzo Biscuits – Basic Recipe
1 very heaping measuring cup of cooked GARBANZOS (or one 15 oz. can) -- rinsed, drained & dried off with paper towels
1 jumbo EGG (or ¼ c. Egg Substitute)
1 Tbsp. Olive Oil
1 ½ tsp. Baking Powder
½ tsp. Kosher Salt only if the beans are unsalted
Mix the following in a small cup.  Use half in the batter; reserve other half for sprinkling tiny pinches across tops prior to cooking:
½ tsp. Onion Powder
½ tsp. Garlic Powder
¼ tsp. Dried Herbs (I used thyme, rosemary & oregano)
4-5 dashes freshly ground Peppercorns
¼ tsp. Kosher Salt

Combine all ingredients (except half of seasoning mixture) in food processor bowl and process to a smooth batter.  Portion equally into 8 small paper baking cups, about 2 heaping tablespoons each.  Line a large flat baking dish with 2 layers of paper towels and arrange four of the filled cups evenly inside, leaving generous space between and around them.  Sprinkle seasoning mixture, as above.  Cook on high power, 1 ½ to 2 ½ minutes, (rotating dish halfway through if no turntable) until no wet spots remain on top.  If needed, continue cooking in 30-second increments until done.  Check by gently touching tops in several places with finger.  Remove biscuits from the baking dish, setting them aside on their paper towel while cooking second batch on fresh paper towels.  (They exude a lot of water through the paper, during and after cooking.)  Serve hot with your favorite biscuit toppings on the side.  Makes 8 biscuits.

Note:  When fresh, these tend to dissolve with anything wet on them, so serve toppings on the side to enjoy with each bite.  Served day-old at room temp., you can break them into thick soups and they take the place of cornbread.  To keep longer, refrigerate or freeze in a single layer on top of a paper towel placed inside a large zipper bag.

Variations I have tried: 
Cheese Biscuits -- Just before portioning into baking cups, stir 2 Tbsp. grated non-fat cheddar into batter by hand.  Sprinkle tops as above, adding a pinch of grated parmesan to each just before cooking.
Pizza Biscuits – Omit garlic powder and add 1 Tbsp. Tomato Basil and Garlic Mrs. Dash® to batter.  Sprinkle tops with 1 tsp. of the same Mrs. Dash mixed with 1 tsp. grated parmesan.  Halfway through cooking, evenly divide 2 Tbsp. grated mozzarella onto each.  Finish cooking as above.  Serve with warm sugar-free marinara sauce on the side for dipping.
Deep Dish Pizza -- Spread all batter into a sprayed 2 qt. casserole dish, leaving a well in the center, pushing it higher on the edges.  It will even out as it cooks.  Cook until very firm.  Top with your favorite cooked and cooled LDL pizza toppings (minus the sauce), lowfat mozzarella & parmesan, and heat until cheese bubbles.

Beanana Bread Muffins – Using the basic biscuit recipe, omit last 5 ingredients. Add small ripe banana, an extra egg, increase evoo to 2 Tbsp. and increase baking powder to 2 tsp.  Add 1-2 tsp. NuStevia and 1-2 tsp. sweet spices (cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, pumpkin pie spice) and 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract or insides scraped from a 2-inch piece of vanilla bean.  Because of the extra ingredients, this makes 10-12 good-sized muffins, using a generous ¼c. measure for each.  Allow extra space between them and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, turning pan until no wet spots remain.  Works best if you only cook four at a time.  Note:  I like these so much, I’m going to invest in one of those flexible silicone muffin cup baking pans so these will turn out looking like real bakery muffins.
Apple Raisin Bran Muffins – Using basic beanana muffin recipe, above, omit banana and add ¼ c. Fiber One or 100% All Bran cereal to processor.  After processing, stir in ¾ c. chopped apple mixed with 1 tsp. lemon juice and 2 Tbsp. raisins.  Cook as above.
Pumpkin Spice Beanana Muffins - To basic beanana muffin recipe add 1/2 c. cooked pumpkin, and double the amount of sweet spices.  After batter is smooth, stir in 1/4 c. raisins.  Makes 12 very generous muffins.

Sweet Cheese Mini-“Danish” – Omit last 5 ingredients from biscuit recipe.  Add 1 to 1 ½ tsp. NuStevia, 1 tsp. lemon juice and ½ tsp. cinnamon (optional) to batter.  Stir together 2 oz. softened lowfat cream cheese, a few drops of lemon juice, and NuStevia to taste (optional).  Drop cheese mixture by slightly mounded measuring teaspoon into center of each and lightly press down to form a shallow well before cooking.  Flatten papers slightly to allow them to spread a little more, if desired.
Oatmeal Raisin Cookies – Using the “Danish” recipe, above, omit cream cheese step.  After processing, stir in ¼ c. raisins and ½ to ¾ c. old fashioned oats, toasted in oven or dry skillet until slightly browned & a little crunchy.  Flatten papers so cookies can spread.  Makes 12 large cookies.

Variations I haven’t tried yet, but I think will be good (if you try any of them please share your thoughts):

Christmas Fruitcake Cookies – I’ll have to think about this one.  Should be the same as Oatmeal Raisin Cookies with added chopped dried fruits.  You can get fruits dried without sugar, right?  And dried ginger?  I know they make Splenda sweetened dried cranberries.  I love fruitcake.  I can’t wait to try this.

Please let me know if you try any of these.  I hope you love them.

Gwen
Last edited by Gwennaford on November 5th, 2008, 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
margo
Master Member

Post by margo »

Hi Gwen..

these biscuits sound very interesting...i'll have to read the instructions again and try them.  i like the idea of the cheese in them.

God bless and thanks for the recipe!
margo
snowbirdie
Master Member

Post by snowbirdie »

Hi Gwen,
    Oh boy you are a master at recipes. I can't wait to try some. Gotta go to store first but that can't happen till Kris comes to stay with Molly. I too love fruit cake.  thanks  Judie
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

gwen..THIS is INGENIOUS..........it's like falafel with extra baking powder in it....and all your different ideas are WONDERFUL.........breaking it up in pieces in soup?.....GREAT idea..........
  thank you SO much :rose:....love,niki
life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain..
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

Gwennaford wrote:  I had a really hard day.  I bawled and squalled and threw three kinds of fits at the hospital trying unsuccessfully to get adequate help for Neil. 

i'm so sorry you had such a rough day....times in my life where i've done that, i NEEDED to do it from all the frustration.....i'm still praying for you, sis, and i know there's victory AND power in your hand.....HOLD ON..........love,niki
snowbirdie
Master Member

Post by snowbirdie »

Hi Gwen,
      I listed a recipe for matzoh balls that are legal. They are really good too. Maybe you will try them.
                            Judie
snowbirdie
Master Member

Post by snowbirdie »

hi Gwen,
    Since matzoh is crackers. Do you think we could use wasa crackers ground into meal and then go ahead and make fake matzoh balls?  I will think about it and you do so too.
                        Judie