Mrsj's Jots & Jive

Each member may create a new topic with his or her name on it, to track their daily food intake.
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Re: Mrsj's Jots & Jive

Post by Joyful Friend »

Nice picture, and lovely hair style.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:  JF
mrsj
Master Member

Post by mrsj »

Why thank you sweet JF!  Just trying to keep it real and change from my "at goal" picture to now.

B: hot fruit pie
L: veggies & dip, egg salad on corn thins
D: salad topped with cucumbers and danita's salsa; bowl of chili; sauteed zucchini & onion; butternut squash fries; raw jicama sticks; iced tea

I took raw jicama sticks to the birthday party.  To me it tastes like a juicy, sweet, crunchy apple.  It tasted differently to different people.  My dh says it tastes more like vegetable than fruit to him.  My dmil said it reminder her of turnips.  My daughter said it had no taste for her.
Who knew!?!  :shock:

What does it taste like to you?
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Never heard of jicama before LDL. I thought it tasted like something between a turnip and watercrest
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
mrsj
Master Member

Post by mrsj »

Me too Linda!  I never heard of jicama before LDL and it took me a long time to find it.  Now I see it more often.
I've never eaten watercrest.
mylifeforhim

Post by mylifeforhim »

Although I haven't tried it yet, I have seen cooking shows where they make a salad of jicama and apple, all thinly sliced.  I look forward to trying it some time.
“Do all the good you can. By all the means you can. In all the ways you can. In all the places you can. At all the times you can. To all the people you can. As long as ever you can.” ― John Wesley
The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you. From a dear Friend!
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

Walmart ordered Jicama for me.  Someone put a video on the boards showing how to prepare it.  I bought it often, and I loved frying it with onions.  I ate it with scrambled eggs, and I thought it was as good or even better than hash browns.  I haven't bought it for a while.  Need to get me one.  Kroger usually has it.  It has the same texture as an apple or raw potato.  SM told us that it could  be  served on a mixed veggie plate and  then dipped in dressing.  :thumbsup:  JF
mrsj
Master Member

Post by mrsj »

mylifeforhim wrote:Although I haven't tried it yet, I have seen cooking shows where they make a salad of jicama and apple, all thinly sliced.  I look forward to trying it some time.

I can believe jicama & apple taste good mixed together, especially since jicama tastes similar to apple according to my taste buds.
One difference I like about the jicama is that it doesn't turn brown like an apple does once it's been peeled and cut up.
I would be interested in knowing what the jicama tastes like for you, mylifeforhim, when you get to try it.
mrsj
mrsj
Master Member

Post by mrsj »

Joyful Friend wrote:Walmart ordered Jicama for me.  Someone put a video on the boards showing how to prepare it.  I bought it often, and I loved frying it with onions.  I ate it with scrambled eggs, and I thought it was as good or even better than hash browns.

This sounds yummy JF.  I'm going to have to try this when I buy more.  Did you dice the jicama for the "hash browns"?
mrsj
Master Member

Post by mrsj »

B: fried eggs over refried beans, all fruit polaner on corn thins
L: ate out - Outback - steak, shrimp over mango salsa, steamed veggies
D: fruit smoothie, popcorn

Hit a snag last Saturday when I attended an all day seminar at church.  Lunch was included and I never even thought about preparing otherwise until we got in the car to go. This shows how "out of habit" I am in my LDL thinking.  Lunch was not LDL food.  The good news is that I was "fed" well spiritually.
Since then I've had 2 more non-LDL eating moments so it's no wonder I experienced being hungry and experienced needing to use will power to stop eating wrong.  I'm not the greatest with will power.
Also, even though I know about eating until full, I had forgotten how much food that takes for me.  I need to change my thinking from seeing myself eating like a pig, which makes me feel bad, to seeing myself as being able to feast and what a blessing that is. 
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Also think about eating lots and lots of good food now so you are not hungry again in an hour or so and thinking about snacks.
You are eating to PREVENT over-eating!
Good point, MrsJ, sometimes we have mindsets we are not even aware of and becoming aware will help us get in the new mindset.
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
jencita
Master Member

Post by jencita »

"Also, even though I know about eating until full, I had forgotten how much food that takes for me.  I need to change my thinking from seeing myself eating like a pig, which makes me feel bad, to seeing myself as being able to feast and what a blessing that is."

I love this comment because this is exactly how I felt the other day! I was so hungry and ate like a pig on all LDL foods but sometime throughout the day, I changed my thinking to - I am feasting until I am full - that made me feel better about myself. I am happy to say that I have not been hungry since!! Great comment!
mrsj
Master Member

Post by mrsj »

Linda, I like that: Eating to PREVENT overeating!

Jennie, I'm so glad you continue with LDL!

Was going to share this picture the other day and have just now found my round "tuit". :rolleyes:

My mother-in-law made this beef stir fry with left over slices of cooked beef, green peppers and onions.  Very yummy.  I ate it over mashed beantatoes with roasted carrots and roasted butternut squash.  Now that's dining!!

mrsj
barrypaxton
Master Member

Post by barrypaxton »

mrsj looks delicious!!! :thumbsup:
Ollie
LDL since 10/13/2009.....Reached Goal Weight 2/14/2011.....88 lbs lost

Make everyday an LDL day!!!        

Life without God is like an unsharpened pencil - it has no point.
mylifeforhim

Post by mylifeforhim »

mrsj wrote:B: fried eggs over refried beans, all fruit polaner on corn thins
L: ate out - Outback - steak, shrimp over mango salsa, steamed veggies
D: fruit smoothie, popcorn

Hit a snag last Saturday when I attended an all day seminar at church.  Lunch was included and I never even thought about preparing otherwise until we got in the car to go. This shows how "out of habit" I am in my LDL thinking.  Lunch was not LDL food.  The good news is that I was "fed" well spiritually.
Since then I've had 2 more non-LDL eating moments so it's no wonder I experienced being hungry and experienced needing to use will power to stop eating wrong.  I'm not the greatest with will power.
Also, even though I know about eating until full, I had forgotten how much food that takes for me.  I need to change my thinking from seeing myself eating like a pig, which makes me feel bad, to seeing myself as being able to feast and what a blessing that is. 

Well fed spiritually comes first and you did very well!  :rose:  If I let myself get too hungry I am the exact same way.  I love what you have put into words.  Thanks for sharing.
“Do all the good you can. By all the means you can. In all the ways you can. In all the places you can. At all the times you can. To all the people you can. As long as ever you can.” ― John Wesley
The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you. From a dear Friend!
knighte

Post by knighte »

Your meal looks delicious.
P
E
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

MrsJ, the meal looks soooo delicious!!!    I used an old fashioned slaw cutter to shred  the Jicama . Just like shredded hash browns.    I like the idea of feasting every day on LDL.  :thumbsup:  JF
mrsj
Master Member

Post by mrsj »

My husband and I really enjoyed meeting for the first time Pam (MsHeirloom) and her husband Denny, along with our own Grape Girl, Gwen!!!  As we enjoyed a nice long lunch at Sweet Tomatoes I couldn't get over how wonderful it was to see the message boards come alive with these good people!!!  *love*  :rose:

Julie & Pam         

Pam, Gwen, Julie         

Denny, Pam, Gwen, Terry, Julie
wendysgoodnews
Master Member

Post by wendysgoodnews »

Mrsj
What wonderful pictures.  I bet you all had a great time getting together.  I wish I was closer to some of the LDL people.
barrypaxton
Master Member

Post by barrypaxton »

OMGoodness, Pam has lost even more weight since I saw her in October!!! You guys all look great!! I miss Gwen on the message boards!!

Ollie
LDL since 10/13/2009.....Reached Goal Weight 2/14/2011.....88 lbs lost

Make everyday an LDL day!!!        

Life without God is like an unsharpened pencil - it has no point.
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

Beautiful pictures; beautiful people!!! *love* and  *hug*  JF