Tori's Journal

Each member may create a new topic with his or her name on it, to track their daily food intake.
robnveronica
Master Member

Re: Tori's Journal

Post by robnveronica »

I'm not your "MOM" either, but even in my early 20's/late teens (while working for Disneyland) I was portrayed as a Rhode Island Red Hen because of my natural tendency to ....what was it....Mother?? people  (or was it S-mother).So needless to say here's my best mom voice (Italian or Jewish of course!) "Eat! You'll Waist away to NOTHING!!"  ;D
Tori
Administrator

Post by Tori »

Well, Veronica, if I were wasting away, then you could be concerned, but trust me .... I'm not!  :pouty:

Sept. 15, 2008

Brunch:
Coffee
Whole grain cereal with 1/2 cup low-fat milk

Dinner will be:
Chunky vegetable soup
Large pieces of green peppers, onions, carrots, corn, celery in a tomato and beef broth soup base.
Tori
Administrator

Post by Tori »

Yes, that is exactly right, Roger.

I have a very underactive thyroid due to some health issues I had in my late teens/early 20's, and by not eating enough, even when I eat healthy, I still do not lose weight. Considering how much I "dieted" when I was younger, it is hard for me to wrap my brain around the fact that I should be eating *more*. I know it is a psychological thing, and I am trying to get past it.

When I go grocery shopping this week I will be purchasing some things that I can "graze" on throughout the day to help keep my metabolism up. (grapes, bananas, pineapple chunks, etc.) Small things that I can eat that will be healthy, and hopefully kick start a semi-normal eating pattern.

Thanks for bearing with me, all!
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

Tori wrote:I have a very underactive thyroid...

tori. i never knew that you had an underactive thyroid....i have such a problem with my thyroid...i finally lost the 40 pounds i gained while i tried to find a dr who would put me on synthroid....then, i started getting tired again, gaining weight again and i needed to switch from the synthroid to armour thyroid which made me able to lose the 40 pounds i gained back while i tried to find a dr who would put me on armour thyroid.......i lost an average of 4 pounds a month when i lost the weight i lost on let's do lunch....
   i have a really strong family history of thyroid disease....my mother had fibromyalgia also which is what i also have a very mild form of...i've read online that there are some people that believe there's a link betw hypothyroidism and fibromyalgia......hypothyroidism was a very overlooked disease at one time...even 10 and 15 years ago..................i've had problems with my back once in a while over the years(goes with the job)but fibromyalgia is SO much nastier because it feels like it's IN the muscle, deeper pain that's always there.....and it's more physically draining than regular back pain.......i've REALLY been paying attention to everyone talking about this number bed....i just don't know if i can justify spending that kind of money for a bed.........niki 
Last edited by niki on September 15th, 2008, 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain..
robnveronica
Master Member

Post by robnveronica »

Sweet Tori...you missed my "PUN". I know you're NOT wasting away as of yet. I was trying to say that if you EAT then you WOULD lose your WAIST (Hence the WAIST Away to Nothing)
Tori
Administrator

Post by Tori »

Yes, Niki, I do believe there is a link between fibro and underactive thyroid. I was told that I have fibro as well, but I am not claiming it. (some days, it is easier to do than others!) Very deep pain, all over the body, with certain things that trigger it. I think my knees and my back are the two things that bother me the most. (other than the headaches)

Unfortunately, the doctor that I have had for many years retired, and I have not found a new one as of yet. I have been on Synthroid as well, but have been thinking about a switch to Armour. I have heard it is better for you.

Veronica, I noticed the "waist" reference, but I put a different emphasis on the wrong part of the sentence. I knew you were making a pun, but still didn't get it until just now. I blame it on being tired.  :laughing:
Tori
Administrator

Post by Tori »

Sept. 17, 2008

Breakfast:
Coffee
Fresh fruit

Lunch:
Popcorn
Smoothie (banana, pineapple, orange juice, low-fat milk, water)

Dinner:
Will be making veggie soup with organic wild rice

I get to go grocery shopping tomorrow, so I can pick up some more fruits, veggies, and lean meat. So excited!  *woot*
Tori
Administrator

Post by Tori »

Thanks Mary!

Supper has changed though ....

Hubby's work had some sort of conference today, and they had a bunch of their "buffet" food left over. They wanted to send him home with a bunch of it, but being the good hubby that he is, he only brought home a HUGE platter of fresh strawberries, pineapples, nectarines, kiwi, bananas, and plums, along with two large salads. Yay!

So, supper tonight consisted on a feast of fresh fruits and a yummy spinach salad with cherry tomatoes, and red onions. Mmmmmmmm.
Tori
Administrator

Post by Tori »

Actually, I *am* feeling very good today! I was even tummy-rumbly hungry every couple of hours. YAY!!!!

I know ... that sounds weird ... but for me, that is progress!  ;D
Vernswifevickie

Post by Vernswifevickie »

That sounds like my kinda leftovers Tori!
Vickie
Wife to Vern
Mom to Chris, Courtney & Colin
Grandma Honey to lil Miss Autumn
Daughter of the King!
Tori
Administrator

Post by Tori »

It was yummalicious!!
I even had a snack tonight. *gasp*  (1/2 cup whole grain cereal with low-fat milk) Perfect way to end the day!

My tummy is full (but not stuffed) and I have a feeling I will wake up ravenous tomorrow! I even got some exercise in the past two evenings. Hubby and I went for a walk yesterday after dinner, and tonight, I did some strength training. Sure feels good to be shaping up my body ... inside and out!
patsyfay
Master Member

Post by patsyfay »

Way to go, Tori!!  The King James' Bible (through Paul, the Apostle) says that we have to buffet our bodies.  When that was written, they meant that we have to keep after our bodies so that they are our servants...we are not to be their servants.  I heard someone say that too many people take that scripture to mean we have to "buffet our bodies", or let them go through a continual eating frenzy.  Good for you, making your body your servant.  We all need lessons in how to do that.

Pat
We are not human beings having a spiritual experience; we are spiritual beings having a human experience.

Tori
Administrator

Post by Tori »

Honestly, Pat, I was thinking about this the other night. How am I going to serve others, especially in a nursing/home care setting, if I am so out of shape? I need to have myself fit and healthy before I can give 100% to serving others.

How terrible would it be if someone were to fall, (God forbid!), and I didn't have the strength to help them up, because I was so out of shape myself? I would be beside myself!

I need to make sure I can physically handle what I may come up against before putting someone else's care into my hands. Does that make sense?
patsyfay
Master Member

Post by patsyfay »

It makes perfect sense, and planning ahead is the wise thing to do. Even some low-impact strength-building exercises could help.
We are not human beings having a spiritual experience; we are spiritual beings having a human experience.

Tori
Administrator

Post by Tori »

That is what I am doing .... low-impact strength training, walking, and using my Gazelle. I am determined to be 100% healthy before taking on the responsibility of another person's physical care. So, this is step one. (:

Sept. 18, 2008

Breakfast:
Coffee
Banana

Lunch:
Spinach salad with fresh spinach, mushrooms, red onion, cherry tomatoes
Popcorn
Water

Dinner:

Snacks:
patsyfay
Master Member

Post by patsyfay »

Tori,
I searching the Amish sites but couldn't find one that had spices/seasonings for sale.  They must have them "by chance or by appointment."  I'm noting a couple sites I've found that may be helpful.  You may already be aware of them. http://www.bulkfoods.com/food_list.htm; http://www.deandeluca.com/herbs-and-spi ... pices.aspx

I hope this helps.  I am going to check out the places that are reasonably close to us and see what they have.  I'll let you know.

Pat

snowbirdie
Master Member

spices

Post by snowbirdie »

Pat,
    You can go to Penzeys on line for spices. I have bought from them some time ago and the spices were so very good.  www.penzeys.com
                                              judie