Lulu65's journal

Each member may create a new topic with his or her name on it, to track their daily food intake.
lulu65

Lulu65's journal

Post by lulu65 »

Well I am about to embark on a new way of eating.. This plan sounds very doable and all I need to do is order the book.. In the meantime I am trying to cut down on white and processed foods.. I have read questions and answers and legit food for the plan... I still am not sure if I am allowed any bread at all.. like a bread whole wheat non bleached flour, no sugar, some rye flower etc.. quite a healthy bread.. I understand a small supper.. lots of fruit for breakfast, delay breakfast till 10 if possible.
Here we are 1:09 and still I have not eaten anything.... I was out doing snow. .I live in Canada..
I might be breaking rules here so jump in and tell but right now I really need to get easy stuff for myself...Suggestions welcome
I am looking forward to dropping a good 50 lbs then I will be quite pleased with self  :)
Last edited by lulu65 on January 5th, 2010, 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wendysgoodnews
Master Member

Re: Lulu65's journal

Post by wendysgoodnews »

Welcome
Even before you get the book it is easy to get started with LDL.  There are so many good recipes on this site and also  read the journals.  It will give you a good idea what to eat.  There is also a site about getting started and what to do.  You will just love this way of eating and you will find that weight will come off while you eat all this wonderful food.
Bread of any kind is a no no.  But you can get corn thins and they replace the need for bread.  they can be ordered on Amazon by the case or at most local health food stores by the package usually around $2.79.  Once you get started you will lose all cravings for any of the food that made you gain weight in the first place.
It really helps to do a journal on this site.  It helps you stay accountable plus people come along and help you with your meals and if you aren't sure what to eat they will help.  There are the most wonderful people on LDL that are more then willing to support and encourage you.  Ask as many questions as you like and you will get answers to them all.
tprouty
Master Member

Post by tprouty »

Hi Lulu!

Welcome to the best eating plan on the planet! Yes, you can reach your goal on Let's Do Lunch! I have been doing this for about 7 months (it has been YEARS since I've been able to, or even wanted to, stick to a weight loss eating plan for more than a few days!) My weight loss hasn't been as miraculous as many here, but I am sooooo pleased with 40 pounds in 7 months -- that's a pound and a half a week, about, and seems like a miracle to me -- and puts me almost halfway to goal! I haven't lost so fast that my skin is saggy and baggy, and the fat has departed evenly from everywhere that I want to lose it, and I have kept those parts that I don't want to lose!  ;)

You will want to continue with cutting out processed foods of any kind. I started on the eating plan before I got my book, too, so I know you can do this. Go through your cupboards. I know a lot of us have trouble throwing out "perfectly good" food, even though we shouldn't eat it. I know I did. My hubby doesn't need to lose any weight, so some things I let him finish up, and once they are gone, I don't buy them anymore, unless he really likes it.

Read the labels on everything. You're not looking at the nutritional information, because many foods (all fruits and even most vegetables and beans) have natural sugars in them. Look at the actual ingredients that go into the product. If it contains a sugar, try to avoid it. At least don't buy it in the future. You'll probably be surprised at the ways food manufacturers put sugar in so many things. Even many canned beans have added sugar (though you can often find a different brand of the same thing without sugar), and I haven't ever seen canned peas without sugar, so I buy only frozen peas. If canned items you already have contain sugar, you can sometimes get rid of part of it by rinsing the food thoroughly. Don't make yourself crazy, especially if you can't afford to redo your cupboards or pantry. Make smarter purchases in the future, give away what you won't use, or feed it to other family members.

If foods in your cupboard contain high fructose corn syrup or MSG, do your best to convince yourself to get rid of it altogether. These foods are designed to keep you addicted to them and wanting more. They will quickly derail a healthy eating plan.

And yes, bread is on its way out of your diet. Almost all grains cause a large fluctuation in blood sugar, which is why they cause weight gain in many people. Avoid foods containing gluten and processed grains if possible. That said, if you can find Wasa brand light rye crackers in the store, they are an acceptable form of bread, as they have very little, if any gluten. The Light Rye is the only cracker of this brand that doesn't contain other grains and therefore higher gluten content. Unless you eat the whole package, the calorie count is minimal. Also, Corn Thins by Real Foods are acceptable, as they are just compressed popcorn. Many of us have difficulty finding these in stores, so we order them online from Amazon or VitaCost. Avoid the varieties of Corn Thins that contain sesame or other seeds, or are multigrain. Avoid corn chips and tortillas if possible. Even though corn and popcorn are welcome parts of an LDL food plan, dried and processed corn causes weight gain, or stalls weight loss.

Honestly, I wondered, at first, if I could stand to do this WOE (way of eating). I was raised on homemade whole wheat bread and potatoes, and I love rice and pasta. But I also knew the unlimited fruit is a very healthy plan, and I decided to try it for a few weeks. I was so surprised that it only took a few days and I didn't miss the potatoes or bread anymore. Fortunately, I love the beans we are encouraged to eat! Butter Beans (large white lima beans) are, for me, the perfect substitute for bread and potatoes. I never would have imagined!

Cruise around the boards, read peoples' food journals for ideas, browse through the recipes and try some that look yummy -- so far I haven't found any of the recipes that aren't absolutely delicious. Even my hubby enjoys "my" food, and he's thrilled with my progress, even though it is eventually going to cost him $1000 (he took a look at the plan, thought there was way too much food involved, that it would never work, and he said "I'll bet you $1000 that it won't work!" So a few months from now, I'll have a new wardrobe, thanks to that bet!)

Most of all, enjoy this new way of life! Come back and ask any questions you might have. Someone here will have an answer for you. This is an incredible, supportive, friendly place to be.

Enjoy your journey!
Terri
tonz2day

Post by tonz2day »

Terri, I think losing 40 pounds in 7 months is pretty miraculous!

Lulu, this board and the people are great.  You're starting off right by having a journal.  This will keep you more accountable and the "food police" will let you know if you should do something different.  Welcome aboard!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/weAJS0m/]
MsHeirloom
Master Member

Post by MsHeirloom »

Lulu- Welcome to LDL and these boards frequented by the most helpful, supportive, and sincere people you will ever "meet."  Pam
dinker

Post by dinker »

Welcome aboard the skinny train. 
I never craved bread but I do still sometimes miss my spagetti.  I bought a spagetti squash at the store today so will try it to see if it helps.  The soups are great and you MUST make the butter bean mashed "potatoes".
I started by using Campbell's tomato soup and adding beans because it was quick.  The corn thins are almost a must I think.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wVNzKsO/]
Image"Nobody gets to live life backward. Look ahead, that is where your future lies."
lulu65

Post by lulu65 »

Thanks to all of you who welcomed me today.. It is a very nice community here.. I feel the support and friendship already.
Terri I agree with others you have lost a lot of weight in a very short time...Congrats
I am going to look for the corn thins when I go cross border on Friday.. There is a co-op there that may have them and if not well there is a place in Burlington Vt which has them
Today I know I did not eat enough

Breakfast/lunch

Vegetarian chili 1/2 cup one slice bread the kind I mentioned.. I have to use it up and will limit to one slice per day till finished
3 clementines

Supper (Recipe I had prepared before Christmas and froze)
(skinless boneless chicken thighs (organic) partly cooked in fry pan all fat drained then onions, celery partly fried and red peppers.. then I had thrown the thighs in the crock pot, added the partly cooked veggies on top, added full can of tomatoes and 3 tbsp tomato paste... let all this cook for 4 hrs added green peppers and it was ready..)

so tonight I took some out and had maybe 1.5 cups of it for supper..
a few grapes yes @ $3.99/lb
and now I am drinking water  I usually drink 48-64 oz per day
I need to increase my protein and more fruit and more veggies get the beans in there for fiber and protein

Thanks again for your support..
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

Luly65, Welcome.  You got great advice.  Joyful Friend
lulu65

Post by lulu65 »

Tuesday  Jan 5

Book is ordered :) :thumbsup:

Breakfast  1 grapefruit, 2 bananas, 2 clementines  10:30 am
Lunch 1.5 cups vegetarian chilli, artichoke hearts 6
7.5 ounce can red sockeye salmon   (protein is very low)    Ooops.. I just realized lunch was much too late...5 pm
Supper    few grapes,  

Sodium   2590  (too high)
Protein    64.5 gr

being a cancer survivor (one year) I have to have certain nutrients
Last edited by lulu65 on January 5th, 2010, 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lulu65

Post by lulu65 »

Breakfast

2 eggs fried in pan sprayed with Pam (evo)
1 banana
1 grapefruit
coffee with Splenda splash of half and half (will soon be finished)

Lunch  poached skinless boneless chicken breast, vegetarian chili
40 oz water

Supper    raw carrots, 2 clementines

Sugar up this morning higher than it has been in awhile..?????
Last edited by lulu65 on January 6th, 2010, 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MsHeirloom
Master Member

Post by MsHeirloom »

Lulu- Maybe your body is releasing the glycogen stored in your liver because it realizes it doesn't need to store it anymore now that you're eating in such a healthy way :inlove:!  Pam
lulu65

Post by lulu65 »

Thank you Pam you may be on to something.:). Will give it a couple of days ..
MsHeirloom
Master Member

Post by MsHeirloom »

Fingers crossed for you!!!  The other diabetics on here are doing great, even with all the fruit and beans.  I'm convinced that this is the best and only healthy way for us to eat.  Pam
lulu65

Post by lulu65 »

I am beginning to enjoy it Pam.:)I just need to make up a couple of soups and freeze and get the other things I need when I go to US on Friday.  Like the ground turkey breast etc.. Got a big list.. :)
What I really like it is all natural foods more or less like no sugar free stuff but rather good healthy foods.. going to look for your journal :)
savannah

Post by savannah »

Hi Lulu...it looks like you are really off to a GREAT start!

I wanted to share with you that I've always been a big "bread eater."....any type of bread!

Whenever I find myself wanting something bread like...like I made a big pot of chili & beans on Monday...and I wanted something "cornbread like"....I use Garbanzo (chick peas) to make it...it cooks in 5 minutes and is really good...recipe is adapted from GWEN'S LDL recipe of Banzo Biscuits

In food processor put 1 CAN RINSED, DRAINED GARBANZO BEANS...process until half way smooth, scrape down couple times
Add:  1/16th t. stevia powder, 1 1/2 t. baking powder, 1/2 T. evoo & 1 large egg...PROCESS until very smooth 3-4 minutes....PULSE IN 1/4 c. sliced green part from scallions (this is opt. but tastes really good & looks pretty)
Spread into a glass rectangular dish (about 1/2" thick") and MICROWAVE 5 minutes...cut in squares & enjoy! *love*
lulu65

Post by lulu65 »

Thank you Savannah.. this looks very tasty and might help with the bread which I miss at times... Thanks again
Hugs Louise
lulu65

Post by lulu65 »

[color=green]

Breakfast
[b]2 eggs, 1 grapefruit, 1 banana and 2 clementines

[b]Lunch

Sirloin steak grilled no fat
corn from frozen 1 cup
green broad  beans 1 cup

supper
clementines
grapes

water water

Did not eat lunch early enough again
Sugar still higher this morning than normal[/b]
Last edited by lulu65 on January 7th, 2010, 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
patns

Post by patns »

Hi !!! Great to see you here.

I think you will really like the laminated recipes that come with the book. I made the most delicious chili on the weekend from the cards.

I am able to get the corn thins from a health food store out here.

I hope your blood sugar stabilizes.

Terri, I think your rate of weight loss is great. I would be so pleased to have that sucess.

Pat
lulu65

Post by lulu65 »

Well today I went to the US in search for corn thins and 99% fat free ground turkey breast for sausage .. Found the turkey breast, no McCormick sausage/meatloaf seasoning and no corn thins.
Is there nothing I can substitute for these, I think in the Northern part of the US like Vt, Northern NY there should be something we could have..

A bit disappointed... and I need to find a good sausage recipe which will help make this great turkey meat less dry..

Breakfast:  2 bananas

Lunch: Broiled haddock, green beans  (Best I could do I ate out)

Supper:  haddock and three clementines

Sugar was slightly improved this morning
MsHeirloom
Master Member

Post by MsHeirloom »

Lulu- I'm glad your blood sugar is coming down.  There are no corn thins in northwestern OH so I order by the case from Amazon.  $33 for 12 "loaves."  No postage, delivered in a few days.  Can't beat that for convenience.  Hang in there.  You are doing well :rose:!  Pam