popcorn

The place to go if you have a question that needs answered!
LovinLDL

Re: popcorn

Post by LovinLDL »

WOW Greenheron!  Easy choice for me...ditch the omlette but looks like you can have the kettle corn in moderation (just watch the cravings). 
Isn't LDL lovely?!

Blessings,
Julie (past kettle corn lover who might treat herself when staying  at a hotel and tempted in the microwave popcorn section...probably will be too sweet to eat much...but a bag between the eight of us might do)
greenheron

Post by greenheron »

Hello, Gwenna,

Are worms acceptible on LDL if they're not canned?  Processing, you know. ;)

Although I've surfed around LCF, I didn't come here from there.  MY LC homes are elsewhere.  I heard about LDL from my son's music teacher, but alas, teachers don't even have time for lunch, much less make it their main meal.  She was given the book by her sister, who doesn't understand life in an elementary school!

I love the fact that we're still learning and finding new ways for people to be healthy and (hopefully) lose weight.  You appear to be a shining example of this one!  And you're so right about the revolutionary concept  point:  Dr. Atkins, rest his soul, was actually called to appear before Congress because the "prevailing wisdom" was that his ideas were killing people.  And although there are educated nutritionists who still argue that fat kills, Dr. Atkins has been proven right over and over and over.  Eat the bacon, skip the toast.  (Sorry, Mary...I do love grapefruit but I also love bacon.) 

But in order for any weightloss plan to work, you've got to change SOMETHING, right?  Loading up on fruit smoothies won't MAKE you lose weight unless you're cutting back elsewhere.  Can I have berries with heavy cream?  Butter on my fresh green beans?  Cheese melted over my cauliflower?  From what I can see, this really is a Low Fat plan.  Am I mistaken?  I'm all for giving up the White food...bread, pasta, sugar, potatoes.  But do I also have to give up Shrimp Scampi?  Hollandaise? 

I really didn't intend to open any worm cans.  I'm not a troll, honest.  I SO respect people finding what works right for them.  I only chimed in because I saw an outright falsehood and thought it shouldn't be left uncontested. 

I WILL get hold of this book, and read it thoughtfully.  (My bookstores are out, so I'll wait for the update.)  I'm not sure I'll convince DH to try it, because he hates the texture of beans, unless they're disguised.  He also seldom has time for lunch.  I can't promise I'll try it, but I'll consider it.  And I'll keep reading.  I have not looked into the medical success section yet.  There's an awful lot here to read! 

Have a great weekend, all.  We're supposed to get half a foot of snow tomorrow.  Sigh
LovinLDL

Post by LovinLDL »

Greenheron,

A Challenge:...try about 5 of Mary's soups (giving them to your husband too w/o telling him about the beans)...our favorites...
Pizza Soup,
White Bean,
Tomato Basil,
Curried Chick Pea and Chicken Corn Chowder.  Mary, who was a resort chef in the Keys and has cooked on TV shows many times, created all these delicious replacements to all the cream based soups she used to make.

Try the chicken sausage...Mary's made with herbs instead of pre-made seasoning.

Have the sausage with an egg beater omlette w/ff sharp cheddar and/Blue Cheese crumbles every once in a while.

Try meat and potato pie.

Try a great big taco salad w/o shell w/jalepeno hummus and corn.

No diet I have ever been on before let's you eat these types of delicious foods until full...corn, olives, popcorn, fruit smoothies, pinapple chunks, watermelon,mango...WITHOUT PORTION CONTROL.

The reason it works is because the non-processed sweets and carbs don't spike your blood sugar.  You are gradually less hungry and eat less w/o cutting all carbs, fats, and fruits and w/o portion control/counting calories.

You don't HAVE to make lunch your main meal, it just speeds the weight loss if you do.

Again, I challenge you to try it for a while.

Blessings,
Julie
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

greenheron wrote:  I heard about LDL from my son's music teacher, but alas, teachers don't even have time for lunch, much less make it their main meal.  She was given the book by her sister, who doesn't understand life in an elementary school!

And although there are educated nutritionists who still argue that fat kills, Dr. Atkins has been proven right over and over and over.  Eat the bacon, skip the toast.  (Sorry, Mary...I do love grapefruit but I also love bacon.) 

From what I can see, this really is a Low Fat plan.  Am I mistaken?  I'm all for giving up the White food...bread, pasta, sugar, potatoes.  But do I also have to give up Shrimp Scampi?  Hollandaise? 

He also seldom has time for lunch.  

first of all, you don't have to eat your main meal at lunch...fit it into YOUR schedule......i'm a nurse and i RARELY have time for lunch, let alone time to have a big meal.....

second of all, i've been a nurse for 37 years and i'm going to tell you that eating low carbs is one of the unhealthiest ways to eat....atkins boasted that it WASN'T........let's take a poll of all the ex-atkinites who are on dialysis from all the protein they ate all those years..........some people say that their cholesterol levels DON'T go up.........i know LOADS of people whose numbers DID go up...........

let's do lunch is the HEALTHIEST way of eating on the planet......you say,"I can't promise I'll try it, but I'll consider it."...you don't have to promise anyone anything...noone's asking you to........you're not doing anyone here any favors by eating this way......you'll be doing YOURSELF the favor of good health with a side order of "thin"...............
life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain..
needwife

Post by needwife »

DEAR GREENHERON === WELL I DONT HAVE A HORSE IN THIS RACE. BUT I LOVE TO PUT MY 2 CENTS IN FROM TIME TO TIME :D IN 1963 ROBERT ADKINS STARTED HIS WORK ON THE AKINS DIET AND YES, IT WAS PROVED OVER AND OVER BY DOCTORS THAT  HIS DIET WORKED.

AND IN (HEALTHY PEOPLE) USING THIS PROGRAM FOR (SHORT PERIODS) OF TIME, THERE WERE NO ILL EFFECTS.BUT EVEN ADKINS FIGURED OUT THAT MOST PEOPLE WITH 2 OR 3 HUNDRED POUNDS TO LOSE ARE NOT HEALTHY PEOPLE.

THESE PEOPLE ALREADY HAD LIVER AND KIDNEY PROBLEMS, DUE TO THERE OBESITY. SO OVER THE YEARS BEFORE HIS DEATH, HE CHANGED HIS DIET MANY TIMES ADDING GOOD CARBS.HIS FIRST DIET WAS DANGEROUS, IT KEPT  YOUR BODY IN KETOSIS TO LONG. KETOSIS IS WHAT YOUR BODY GOES INTO WHEN YOU ARE STARVING.

WHEN YOUR BODY IS IN KETOSIS MODE , IT WILL BURN FAT, MUSCLE, AND ORGAN TISSUE. ITS YOUR BODIES SURVIVIAL MODE, BECAUSE IT THINKS YOU ARE STARVING TO DEATH. IF I NEEDED TO LOSE 10 POUNDS QUICK, YEA I WOULD USE IT. BUT TO LOSE WEIGHT AND KEEP IT OFF , YOU MUST KILL THE CRAVING THAT CAUSED YOU TO OVER EAT. AND LETS DO LUNCH DOES THAT.

WHEN IT COMES TO DIETING, I WILL LEAVE YOU WITH THIS THOUGHT.FAT MATTERS, CARBS COUNT, BUT THE CALORIE IS THE KING OF ALL. AFTER YOU LOSE YOUR CRAVING , YOU WILL EAT LESS CALORIES AND YOU WILL LOSE WEIGHT.  :D WOW THAT MAY HAVE BEEN 3 CENTS WORTH. :D TTYL NEEDWIFE
Last edited by needwife on April 21st, 2009, 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
url=http://www.TickerFactory.%20%20(NEEDWIFE%20).com/weight-loss/wqTc32y/]Image[/url]
Gwennaford
Master Member

Post by Gwennaford »

greenheron wrote:Are worms acceptible on LDL if they're not canned?  Processing, you know. ;)

I don't know, but I understand they are a source of high-quality protein in many cultures.  I'll try them if you do!

I wouldn't characterize LDL as low fat, really.  Just low in unhealthy fat.  I eat all the EVOO I want on my popcorn & I cook with it too.  Sometimes fry things like rutabaga fries & chicken tenders in regular OO.  Full fat salad dressings, same thing, but I do look for ones without hydrogenated oils or added sugars.  We don't measure, just dip fork tines with every bite, so you get the full taste benefit without drowning the salad in all that moosh.  Many times I forget to serve myself my dish of dressing & finish the wonderful-tasting salad without realizing I never touched dressing.

Because fat is not forbidden, it's not an issue for me, so I don't crave it and, therefore, use it less & less often.  None of the other weight loss plans I have tried allowed more than 3 tsps. of oil/fat per day, IF you were required to measure.  That is one of the main things I love about LDL - it combines the best of all the popular weight loss plans, with none of the deprivation!

LDL ROCKS!
Gwen

P.S.  I had both shrimp scampi AND a whole head of cauliflower with chili con queso last week.  I'll give you my LDL recipes, if you're really interested. 
Last edited by Gwennaford on March 28th, 2009, 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
• Join me in the Let’s Do Lunch message boards!
ImageImage
greenheron

Post by greenheron »

Hi, Roger Troy,

I, too read that article, and a few others about the same lawsuit...the one brought by the Sugar industry, some individuals, and the makers of Aspartame/NutraSweet....but not, as you earlier stated, by other makers of Sucralose.  When the lawsuit was filed, there was only one maker of Sucralose...McNeil.

That said, you have proved my point that you are completely misreading this information.  This is NOT a lawsuit claiming Splenda is not Sucralose.  It's a lawsuit claiming Splenda (main ingredient Sucralose) is an artificial sweetener, which it clearly is.  They claim that Splenda misleads consumers by saying it's made from sugar and is therefore safe.  If they had used the slogan "Tastes like sugar even though it's an artificial sweetener made by replacing three hydrogen-oxygen groups on a sugar molecule with three chlorine atoms"  the lawsuit never would have been filed.

You chose to Bold:  They alleged that Splenda is actually a highly processed chemical sweetener, created with chlorine and other compounds.
Well, yes.  It is a highly processed chemical sweetener...we know that..or at least the Sucralose part of it is.  Splenda misleads consumers into believing that it's made from natural sugar when it's not.   While the less-than-educated public might interpret the slogan to mean that Splenda is natural, and therefore safe, what YOU said in an earlier post was that Splenda doesn't contain Sucralose.  What?  You got that HOW?

The lawsuit, and related articles, mention Splenda by name, because that's what the public is familiar with, and that's the entity using the advertising slogan.  You don't see Sucralose advertising..it's an ingredient, not a product sold directly to the consumer.  Go to the website www.splenda.com and you'll see it's a site published by McNeil Nutritionals, LLC, which makes Splenda and Sucralose one in the same. 

Here is a negative website with an article about the lawsuit http://www.splendaexposed.com/articles/ ... html  with the details phrased a little differently.  Perhaps the language will come across a little more clearly?   Since it's a "scary" website, there are lots of alarmist links and comments.  I personally am not swayed by the naysayers.  I know it's artificial.  I know it's been tested, and approved for use all over the world.  I like it.  I'll use it.

I'm quite frankly disappointed that, as the expert on this site, you've clearly been misleading people with your misinformation.  How many times have you claimed that "Splenda is OK but Sucralose is not" or whatever it is you believe?  How many people who don't dig deeper and read more critically have been dissuaded from eating or drinking things like Smart Pop Kettle Corn?  There's a big difference between "here's what worked for me so why not try it" and outright bogus information.

As for Stevia, I haven't tried it.  Many people mention the aftertaste, especially the licorice flavor, which I can't stand.  If Truvia would send me a free sample, I'll try it, but I won't spend money on a whole box. 

And as for Stevia being better because it's natural, that's a silly statement.  Being natural doesn't mean it's safe, and being artificial doesn't mean it isn't.  Cocaine, MSG, Arsenic and peanut butter are all natural, but they can all kill someone.  If artificial sweeteners cause triggers for you, or give you headaches, don't use them. 

Maybe I'm making a mountain out of a molehill, but the molehill needs bulldozing.

I'm certainly not disputing the effectiveness of LDL.  It works for you and lots of other people.   I'd love to try some of the soup recipes!  I love soup! 

Any good "weight loss plan" will work if followed correctly.  It's the following correctly that we have a problem with.  I doubt dialysis patients can claim that Atkins drove them there..it was everything else that drove them to try Atkins and what they ate after they stopped.  And we well know that every program is not right for every body. 

Gwen, have you ever tried oven-roasting cauliflower?  It's amazing!  (Although I think I could eat the whole head in one sitting if I didn't stop myself.)  Slice the whole head (minus big stem part) a little over an inch thick and break apart in chunks.  Toss with olive oil, spread on a baking sheet, salt or season liberally, and bake in a hot oven..at least 400F...stir a few times while baking and roast until nicely browned.  It's so sweet!  I can't believe I love cauliflower so much that way!

It's snowing like the I_am_a_BAD_Spammerens here.  Soup sounds really good right now.
Last edited by greenheron on March 28th, 2009, 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gwennaford
Master Member

Post by Gwennaford »

greenheron wrote:Gwen, have you ever tried oven-roasting cauliflower?  It's amazing!  (Although I think I could eat the whole head in one sitting if I didn't stop myself.)  Slice the whole head (minus big stem part) a little over an inch thick and break apart in chunks.  Toss with olive oil, spread on a baking sheet, salt or season liberally, and bake in a hot oven..at least 400F...stir a few times while baking and roast until nicely browned.  It's so sweet!  I can't believe I love cauliflower so much that way!

Yep, many of us have been roasting veggies a lot since Mary first posted her Roasted Garlic & Butternut Squash Soup recipe.  You CAN eat the whole head made this way if you like.  You can eat TWO if you want.

As for the sucralose/Splenda debate, it's just plain silly.  Nobody is holding YOUR feet to the fire.  We follow Roger's advice because we choose to, each person in their own way.  He has never clamed to be an expert ANYTHING, just a man led by God to share a program that worked for him, the WAY it worked for him. 

I bought my own Truvia.  I still prefer Nu-Stevia, on the rare occasion I need to add any sweetener to my food or bev.  It is cut with maltodextrin.  Who cares? 

Blessings to all,
Gwen
Last edited by Gwennaford on March 28th, 2009, 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

greenheron wrote:That said, you have proved my point that you are completely misreading this information....... 
You chose to Bold:  They alleged that Splenda is actually a highly processed chemical sweetener, created with chlorine and other compounds.

I'm quite frankly disappointed that, as the expert on this site, you've clearly been misleading people with your misinformation.  How many times have you claimed that "Splenda is OK but Sucralose is not" or whatever it is you believe?  How many people who don't dig deeper and read more critically have been dissuaded from eating or drinking things like Smart Pop Kettle Corn? 

And as for Stevia being better because it's natural, that's a silly statement.  Being natural doesn't mean it's safe, and being artificial doesn't mean it isn't.  Cocaine, MSG, Arsenic and peanut butter are all natural, but they can all kill someone.  If artificial sweeteners cause triggers for you, or give you headaches, don't use them. 

Maybe I'm making a mountain out of a molehill, but the molehill needs bulldozing.

I doubt dialysis patients can claim that Atkins drove them there..it was everything else that drove them to try Atkins and what they ate after they stopped.  And we well know that every program is not right for every body. 

excuse me, but roger has NEVER misled anyone about anything...the majority of people here don't believe in consuming artificial sweeteners..some here use them sparingly since they are well aware of the dangers......sorry if you don't agree......feel free to eat ALL the artificial sweeteners you want......roger was just expressing his own opinion....so sorry, it doesn't jive with yours....
   there ARE many people who DO prefer to use stevia BECAUSE it is a natural product....your saying that that's silly is not very nice of you.....
   it's a proven medical fact that the consumption of an excessive amount of protein is very unhealthy for your kidneys....if you don't agree with that, feel free to consume all the protein you want....
   and there is NOTHING here that needs bulldozing, thank you very much..............roger maintains these boards and invests VERY heavily in his time JUST for the pleasure of sharing what eating let's do lunch has done for him......literally saved his life...........other people also share what they eat and what they believe, since these are democratic boards where anyone can express their opinions(as long as they're expressed in a kindly fashion)without fear of ridicule...........
   deciding to eat this way is a favor YOU do YOURSELF and not anyone here...............so, why don't you stop picking it apart and either try it or go back to whatever way of eating YOU feel works?
Last edited by niki on March 28th, 2009, 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain..
Sweet_Pea

Post by Sweet_Pea »

Amen Niki, 

You said all the things that I wanted to say.  I love this program and have much respect for Roger Troy and appreciate the time he takes to post to us each day.  He lived the program and gave it to us if we want to follow what worked for him.  Therefore I trust what he tells us knowing he has done research and knows what he is talking about.   

Carrole
needwife

Post by needwife »

WELL SINCE WE ARE TALKING ABOUT SWEETENERS, I HAVE USED SWEET N LOW ALL MY LIFE.  EVEN THO IN THE 1970S THEY SAID IT KILLED SOME MICE.

WELL I FEED ALL MY MICE FAT FREE CHEESE, THEY ARE FINE , I AM FINE, LIFE IS GOOD. I HOPE IN SOME WAY THIS HAS BROUGHT YOU CLOSER TO YOUR MICE.

THANKS TO THIS BIG DEBATE, ME AND MY MICE ARE CLOSER THAN  EVER. WE ARE GETTING READY TO HAVE  BUTTERNUT SQUASH WITH FAT-FREE CHEESE MELTED OVER IT.

I MIGHT SPRINKLE A SWEET N LOW OVER MINE , HE SAID NO SWEET N LOW FOR HIM,HE IS STRICTLY A NUTRA-SWEET MOUSE. ROGER MY MOUSE SAID YOU ROCK, AND I AGREE. SO BE HAPPY===AND LETS DO LUNCH. ;D TTYL NEEDWIFE
Last edited by needwife on April 21st, 2009, 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
url=http://www.TickerFactory.%20%20(NEEDWIFE%20).com/weight-loss/wqTc32y/]Image[/url]
Gwennaford
Master Member

Post by Gwennaford »

NEEDWIFE - You're the best!

BTW -- Cocaine, MSG, peanut butter, ... all processed !  As for arsenic . . . 

"Although arsenic compounds were mined by the early Chinese, Greek and Egyptian civilizations, it is believed that arsenic itself was first identified by Albertus Magnus, a German alchemist, in 1250. Arsenic occurs free in nature, but is most often found in the minerals arsenopyrite (FeAsS), realgar (AsS) and orpiment (As2S3). Today, most commercial arsenic is obtained by heating arsenopyrite." 

[glow=red,2,300]. . . PROCESSED ! ! [/glow] Loves and good night to all...

Gwennaford Grape
Last edited by Gwennaford on March 28th, 2009, 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
GrammyBlue

Post by GrammyBlue »

I am going to have to stick my neck out here Greenheron. Not every weight loss program works, if you follow it. I speak from personal experience. I have been on practically every diet on the planet. Some have worked, some have worked a little and some not at all. I have never been on a program, that I have felt this good on, and I have only been doing this program 5 weeks. I've lost weight on other programs, but have absolutely felt terrible and done terrible things to my body! Actually, I don't worry about the science of this program. I know it works and my family has seen such a huge change in me in just the five weeks.

Roger, could be charging a huge fee for the use of these boards, and yes I have paid them in the past, on other programs.  He truly cares about each and everyone on this program, as well as all the other caring and loving people who make it their daily mission to help us! I hope you will give LDL a chance. It is the healthiest program I have ever been on and I can tell you I speak from experience. I HAVE tried a lot of them!!!
GrammyBlue
greenheron

Post by greenheron »

Thank you for your response, Roger Troy.  I understand you don't recommend using artificial sweeteners and I understand why.  Certainly if your goal is to stay away from "middle of the grocery store" foods, you won't be looking at labels, watching out for hidden sugars or taboo ingredients.  I just wanted it to be clear, for those of your followers who occasionally grab a diet drink or fat-free yogurt, that Splenda and Sucralose should considered identical, and if it works for you, it's fine.

THAT is the key, isn't it?  If it works for you.  Grammyblue, you said the same.  Not all diets work for everyone.  Chronic health issues, allergies, activity level, access to the "right" foods...many things have to be taken into consideration.  If you aren't satisfied with your food choices, you won't succeed.  When I've seen Dean Ornish tout his beliefs (usually in opposition to low-carb) I can't help but think "Who would want to eat that way?"  I haven't found that cravings are a big issue.  A friend on a LC board found she had major cravings after her husband used MILK to make her scrambled egg.  Cravings are definitely a YMMV issue.

Roger Troy, I haven't decided whether I'm going to try it yet.  I love the idea of eating fruit, but I'm put off by the idea that I should eat so much that I can't stand the sight of anything sweet anymore.  Is that an instruction, or just a funny way of saying you don't have to limit your fruit intake?  I have a few favorite soup recipes...I'll have to analyze them for approved ingredients.  I'm guessing my favorite Pumpkin Peanut soup with curry and ginger is out. :(    I'll have to try the popcorn flour pancakes...it intrigues me. 

When will the new book be out? 
Gwennaford
Master Member

Post by Gwennaford »

greenheron wrote:I understand you don't recommend using artificial sweeteners and I understand why.  Certainly if your goal is to stay away from "middle of the grocery store" foods, you won't be looking at labels, watching out for hidden sugars or taboo ingredients.  I just wanted it to be clear, for those of your followers who occasionally grab a diet drink or fat-free yogurt, that Splenda and Sucralose should considered identical, and if it works for you, it's fine.

greenheron.  Your assumptions are wrong on all counts.  Bottom line -- If you don't intend to read the book, at least familiarize yourself with the message boards to enable you to speak from a position of knowledge instead of ignorance on the subject of Let's Do Lunch.  My concern is that someone will read and believe what you write here, to their detriment.

Everyone is welcome to post here, and lively debate is welcome when it is appropriately respectful.  Speaking only for myself I find the tone of your messages to be rude to our gentle leader and your underinformed arguments are becoming tiresome.  We can all learn from each other, so let's play nice.

To quote your words:
I only chimed in because I saw an outright falsehood and thought it shouldn't be left uncontested. 

Respectfully,
Gwen

P.S.  Just in case you are truly interested in the answer to one of your questions, the reason for forcing the sweetest fruits and fruit smoothies is to manage sweet CRAVINGS.  Once you no longer CRAVE the sweets, you stop forcing fruits and go back to eating regular portions of them.  You don't overeat anything you don't crave.  For consuming mass quantities, it is important to eat the most whole, freshest versions possible, instead of dried, juiced or otherwise concentrated.  The water, cellulose, fiber, pectin, etc. contained in the whole fruits help to fill you up and aid digestion.  This gives your body the gift of letting it do its own processing. 

None of this is a "cute" way of saying anything.  It is very clearly explained in the book and in dozens of places on the message boards.  You don't limit any LDL acceptable food (except the ones identified as "occcasional" or "once in a while") because you don't portion control with Let's Do Lunch.  The concept of eating all you want to lose weight is understandably foreign to many people who have lived their lives on starvation diets.

greenheron, do you have excess weight you want to lose?

g
Last edited by Gwennaford on March 30th, 2009, 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage