The Benefits of Olive Oil and Coconut Oil

Feel free to talk about anything and everything re Let’s Do Lunch™.
barrypaxton
Master Member

Re: The Benefits of Olive Oil and Coconut Oil

Post by barrypaxton »

My niece just posted this link on her facebook page:
http://www.organicfacts.net/organic-oil ... t-oil.html
She even puts it in her coffe in the mornings. I tried that and wouldn't recommend it.

Ollie
LDL since 10/13/2009.....Reached Goal Weight 2/14/2011.....88 lbs lost

Make everyday an LDL day!!!        

Life without God is like an unsharpened pencil - it has no point.
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

Enjoyed reading this article, Ollie.  Thanks for posting!
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

I tried the CO in coffee to PTLDL (prior to LDL) and didn't loose anything either. I do use it for a face moisturizer and DH has had success using it on flaky seborrheic spots on his scalp.
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
Bethann
Master Member

Post by Bethann »

I learn so much from LDL!  *love* I am thankful!  :rose:
Blessings to all all of you!
Love
Beth(Ann)
JEM

Post by JEM »

I have been using Nutiva's EVCO since fall and I do like it.  When the weather was still a bit warm, I used put it in my smoothies and it gave it just a hint of coconut flavor.  I use EVCO now for cooking too.
I especially like the way my scrambled eggs tastes.  If I'm cooking beans, I use EVCO to saute my onions and garlic in. I do not taste the coconut in anything that I cook. This brand of EVCO has a very very mild taste of coconut. At night I do add a tablespoon of coconut oil in a cup of hot water just to get the good fat inside me. It is the processed coconut oil that is not good for you. Oh and I spread it on corn thins too, because the corn thins are so dry if I'm snacking on it.
Never let 'em see you sweat!
Bethann
Master Member

Post by Bethann »

If it is okay to have Coconut Oil then how about Coconuts? (It is alright to eat Olives and we eat Olive Oil.) Too many starchy carbs in the whole fruit Coconut I guess? (raising the blood sugar?)
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

I enjoyed the article; it only strengthens how I feel about it.  I also buy organic coconut chips for snacking.  I order it from vitacost.  I love the taste of coconut, and since I'm at goal, I make cream coconut pudding---no real cream, but it taste like the best.  The coconut oil has made my digestion better.  I could rave on and on.  CQ first told us about its qualities.  I was reluctant, but now I know from experience.  Dr. OZ surely likes it.  :thumbsup: JF
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Bethann,
Just had another thought. The vinegar that the olives are canned in may counteract and appetite or weight gain issues. Coconut may go straight to the bloodstream and cause spikes. If you are not bothered by spikes in blood sugar (or more important-dips in the blood sugar), then you can experiment with it. If you do be sure to post results.

You really need to do all you can to prevent the blood sugar from bottoming out. When it drops below normal it sets off the inflammatory process in your body that will cause joint pain, muscle pain, and even cardiac events.

I have been finding that eating plain corn thins has been dropping my blood sugar. Will need to roast some garbanzos to take to work for the munchies.
I just need to get over the munchies period! I really think it is just habit anyway.
Last edited by LINDA RN on May 9th, 2011, 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

I have not noticed feeling bad, nor have cravings returned.  I also crave Avocados and olives.  They don't bother me in anyway.  I probably eat olives mostly on salads or at salad bars.  I usually eat avocados, probably 3 a week.  I also put them on salads and in my Taco and chili soups. (I ate my first advocado in San Antonio last March) They are so creamy and delicious.  I've used EVOO since 01, and I'm addicted to it for dressings, and in my green beans.  I can't tell that they have not been cooked with the more unhealthy seasonings.  An older lady told me about it in 01, and I've eaten healthy since then, but could not lose weight until LDL.  It has been hard to get used to the words tiny, etc.  It's wonderful to be fully satisfied and never gain a pound.  I just happen to like very much the taste of coconut, and when I saw it on Vitacost, I ordered it.  I don't use it often, but enjoy it mightily when I want it.  I guess everyone of us have things like that.  I used to be like that for pizza, but not anymore.  I ordered my DH a pizza, and I had cornthins with pizza sauce, NF cheese, and mushrooms and peppers.  Same satisfaction.  I'm so grateful for LDL.  Last night my nephew by marriage was in, and he said that he had been in this family for 30+ years, and had never seen me look this good.  I can't understand why people aren't satisfied after starting it.  The one thing that this woe has done is to reshape my body and to make it healthier without meds.  It is something.  Thanks, Roger for creating such a healthy WOE.  :thumbsup:  JF
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

I love avocados but I don't eat them everyday. I know Red Lion Lass use to eat them everyday and lost weight while on LDL.

CQ
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Just saw Rick Bayless on OETA this morning (Mexico-One plate at a time). He made guacamole using 12 ripe avacados, a clove of roasted garlic and chopped cilantro and juiced 1 lime. What I found interesting is that he opened the clove of galic and seperated the cloves into a non-stick skillet and roasted it uncovered on medium heat until browned. Thought that was a really simple way to roast garlic. He did alot of LDL friendly snacks on that show also.
Linda

Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

Thanks for that trick---hate t use a big oven for a few.  :thumbsup:  JF
Ginny M.
Master Member

Post by Ginny M. »

I use my Coconut Oil  when I make my popcorn in the microwave (Presto Bowl Popper).  I found 1 teaspoon of CO and 1/4 cup of OR popcorn, pops more kernels.  A lot of the CO melts and goes under the paper piece at the bottom and stays below the popcorn but it helps the popcorn pop.  Also, if I'm using oil to cook (wilted cabbage and onions) I use CO instead of EVOO because of the heat.

*hug*
Ginny
Scotsgal

Post by Scotsgal »

LINDA RN wrote:Bethann,
Just had another thought. The vinegar that the olives are canned in my counteract and appetite or weight gain issues. Coconut may go straight to the bloodstream and cause spikes. If you are not bothered by spikes in blood sugar (or more important-dips in the blood sugar), then you can experiment with it. If you do be sure to post results.

You really need to do all you can to prevent the blood sugar from bottoming out. When it drops below normal it sets off the inflammatory process in your body that will cause joint pain, muscle pain, and even cardiac events.

I have been finding that eating plain corn thins has been dropping my blood sugar. Will need to roast some garbanzos to take to work for the munchies.
I just need to get over the munchies period! I really think it is just habit anyway.

Hi Linda,

How do you roast the chick peas? Julie
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Hi Julie,
I roasted the chick peas in the oven and finished browing them in a non-stick (I use porcelin-lined) skillet.
I think I even roasted them in the skillet with just a little EVOO without prebaking.
Linda

Scotsgal

Post by Scotsgal »

LINDA RN wrote:Hi Julie,
I roasted the chick peas in the oven and finished browing them in a non-stick (I use porcelin-lined) skillet.
I think I even roasted them in the skillet with just a little EVOO without prebaking.

Going to try these today!!!!!!!

Like your profile piccy.  Not sure how to add one for myself.    Thanks for quick reply.  So good to be back.
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Would love to see a real pic of you, Julie.
You will need to upload a picture to the gallery or if you have a picture already uploaded to another web site like FaceBook you can use that web address also.
I can help you get one up if you want, just let me know.
Linda

Mary J
Master Member

Post by Mary J »

I scramble eggs in CO.  Love how it tastes.  I also eat avocado's whenever I make a Mexican dish.  Hubby and I split one. There are wonderful!  Yum!

Mary
Mary J
FL

Started LDL in Oct 09
Bethann
Master Member

Post by Bethann »

I read these postings again!  :thumbsup: Very helpful! Thank you!!  :rose: